A90K or X90J? Maybe even a different brand?

In our home we currently have a 2012 Samsung UE46ES8090 TV which recently had problems with the panel and the HDMI inputs. RIP.

So it was time to get a new TV, thought of an A90K but I also saw an ad for an X90J. However I really don't have a clue what the difference between those two is, and is it even worth it switch to Sony TVs (According to Linus, yes)? And are there any other TVs that have the same specs but are cheaper or smaller? 

26 minutes ago, IsTheLMN said:

In our home we currently have a 2012 Samsung UE46ES8090 TV which recently had problems with the panel and the HDMI inputs. RIP.

So it was time to get a new TV, thought of an A90K but I also saw an ad for an X90J. However I really don't have a clue what the difference between those two is, and is it even worth it switch to Sony TVs (According to Linus, yes)? And are there any other TVs that have the same specs but are cheaper or smaller? 

the A90K is OLED while the X90J is VA LED

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

3 minutes ago, SlashedM said:

the A90K is OLED while the X90J is VA LED

Oh. Thanks for claryfing! 

8 minutes ago, IsTheLMN said:

Oh. Thanks for claryfing! 

No problem, if you need a cheaper Alternative Im pretty sure the LG C1 and C2 are both cheaper than the A90K and have similar image quality (though from what Ive seen, Sony's image processing is better and so is their speakers (which wont matter if you use a sound bar/external speakers anyways), and I believe the 42 and 48 in LG C2s dont get as bright as even the C1s?

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

6 hours ago, SlashedM said:

[...] and I believe the 42 and 48 in LG C2s dont get as bright as even the C1s?

It must still be brighter than an FHD panel, right? Though I must say looking at them in person the A90K really seems to be superb with image quality. 

I have a Sony A80J - which is one of their OLED models (I think we have the 55" model). I replaced an LG 1080p Plasma TV with it when the Plasma TV died.

I do not regret the decision at all. The A80J is fantastic - it uses the same panel as the LG C1, but as mentioned above, Sony has a bit better image processing in their models compared to the LG C series - the difference is minor, but the price difference between the LG and the Sony was also minor, so we went with the Sony.

The OLED (whether A90K, A80J, LG C1, etc) is definitely the better display tech - but just make sure you don't have any direct sunlight reflecting off the panel (or you have good blinds).

You DO NOT need a blackout room for it to work well. I use mine in a very well naturally lit basement apartment, and I have no brightness issues at all. The room it's in has 3 windows, and some other windows in a nearby connected room (semi open concept).

However, if direct sunlight is an issue, you may want to consider a non-OLED (but glare is gonna suck no matter what TV you buy).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)