Steam deck forum section?

Ethnod

With the amount of love LMG and us Forum peeps have for the Steam Deck, I am surprised to see that there is no deck specific section.

Could we have one pleeeeese? 😉☺️

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Steam Deck would just fall under PC Gaming. No need to have a dedicated console/device specific subforum. If so, then we would need one for Xbox, Playstation, Switch etc... 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ahhhh but the Steam Deck is special 😉🙏😇

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

15 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Steam Deck would just fall under PC Gaming. No need to have a dedicated console/device specific subforum. If so, then we would need one for Xbox, Playstation, Switch etc... 

Seems like the kind of thing that should land in 'Laptops and Pre-Built Systems'.

That subforum needs a tagline anyway, how about something like "...And Steam Decks, and Aya Neos, and Surfaces, and Librettos..." ?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

Seems like the kind of thing that should land in 'Laptops and Pre-Built Systems'.

That subforum needs a tagline anyway, how about something like "...And Steam Decks, and Aya Neos, and Surfaces, and Librettos..." ?

That would work as well since it is basically just a prebuilt PC in a super compact form. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

23 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Deciding where posts about the steam deck belong is like that button press meme. PC gaming since it's steam? Or is it console gaming like the switch? Or is it more of a phone/tablet? Maybe it's mobile gaming? I guess it's just a portable computer so laptops and prebuilts?...

Honestly, I don't think there's really been a definitive answer for the best place for that discussion yet, though there definitely would be benefit in establishing which section is used for the Steam Deck so that people know where to look if they are interested participating in Steam Deck discussions. 

Having a dedicated "Steam Deck" subforum would solve that problem, but realistically there isn't enough discussion around it to justify a dedicated subforum and like Skiiwee pointed out it isn't practical having subforums for each and every console or handheld device. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

52 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Deciding where posts about the steam deck belong is like that button press meme. PC gaming since it's steam? Or is it console gaming like the switch? Or is it more of a phone/tablet? Maybe it's mobile gaming? I guess it's just a portable computer so laptops and prebuilts?...

Maybe even Linux 🤔

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

Well, we're now on a very blur line between mobile and pc gaming, huh? But here's my suggestion:

- Windows gaming: So, whatever related to games in Windows that requires Windows OS to game.

- Console gaming: Xbox, PS5, Nintendo Switch, or a gaming device with their unique OS running games designed for the specific device only.

- Android gaming: games found in Android and maybe the Amazon Fire OS?

Maybe we can add a forum called retro gaming, like Atari Jaguar or Commodore 64? Or make this in console subforum? Maybe we need to add DOS gaming subforum as well under Windows gaming.

Of course there's newly emerging VR which is catastrophic hazard and injury prone?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

3 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

Well, we're now on a very blur line between mobile and pc gaming, huh? But here's my suggestion:

- Windows gaming: So, whatever related to games in Windows that requires Windows OS to game.

- Console gaming: Xbox, PS5, Nintendo Switch, or a gaming device with their unique OS running games designed for the specific device only.

- Android gaming: games found in Android and maybe the Amazon Fire OS?

Maybe we can add a forum called retro gaming, like Atari Jaguar or Commodore 64? Or make this in console subforum? Maybe we need to add DOS gaming subforum as well under Windows gaming.

Of course there's newly emerging VR which is catastrophic hazard and injury prone?

You are intentionally leaving out Linux and Mac? Considering that Deck is closer to Linux than anything else.

Also, anything run with emulation is already filed under Software. Anything run natively would be fine under General Discussion. We are talking about very niche subjects in terms of this forums userbase.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You are intentionally leaving out Linux and Mac? Considering that Deck is closer to Linux than anything else.

Ooo, yeah. I forgotten Steam OS is Linux.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Users: Can we have a subsection just for the Steam Deck?

Mods: No, no, we can just keep all Steam Deck conversation within... Uhh... 3-4 different subsections...

The moderators own confusion is the best possible evidence to show that the Steam Deck could use it's own dedicated section where avid PC gamers could focus on it.  If it fits so poorly anywhere, then a new suitable place for it should be made.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

We might need to put it in the "unobtanium" subforum. 😛

...though in all seriousness, I really don't see a whole lot of discussion regarding Linux here, and SteamDeck is Arch Linux based. I have also heard a few of the big YouTubers call it a "console" so I certainly see an argument for putting it in a console forum. If I remember correctly, even Valve refers to it occasionally as a console. Additionally, for the most part, most consoles are pretty much specialty computers. Gamecube was PowerPC as was the Apple Mac of the day, Xbox was Intel, 360 is pretty much a specialty Windows computer, less actually having Windows on it. Switch is basically an Android smartphone. ...and so on. We might should just lump all consoles in with hardware, then.

13 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

The moderators own confusion is the best possible evidence to show that the Steam Deck could use it's own dedicated section where avid PC gamers could focus on it.  If it fits so poorly anywhere, then a new suitable place for it should be made.

I'm more inclined to have "junk" section where all those topics that have wide span, but not quite enough content for dedicated would go. Like Steam Deck, VR, 3D printing, Apple stuff, retro gaming and emulation etc.

All of those are something that members have asked dedicated subforum for at some point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Could they not just make it a subform under PC gaming? In the same way that 'techlinked sources' is under 'tech news'?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

Could they not just make it a subform under PC gaming? In the same way that 'techlinked sources' is under 'tech news'?

We don't want subforums for short-lived hypes that fade into back when something new comes out. Or in short, there's not enough content.

TechLinked subforum was by request from Riley. Same goes with (now dead and gone) Star Citizen sub.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

In fairness the Steam Deck is not a fad but look, consider it down the line, when the numbers and back orders are finished next year. The are already hinting at a Steam Deck 2 so it's here to stay. 

Also, there are the competitors to the Deck, you could create a "Handheld PC" section or "Portable Gaming" or something like that, something that rolls them all into one. 

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

We don't want subforums for short-lived hypes

...Wow...

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

10 hours ago, Ethnod said:

Also, there are the competitors to the Deck, you could create a "Handheld PC" section or "Portable Gaming" or something like that, something that rolls them all into one. 

Both of those already exist. Phones and Tablets would cover any handheld system. Portable Gaming = Mobile Gaming.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Steam deck is mobile and is a console like device. Can be pc if setup right. In my mind depending on the topic, it would fall any of these 3 or others if necessary.

I don't feel a steam deck oriented sub-forum is necessary. If we went with the thought of needing one, then as pointed out by @Skiiwee29 , we would then have a hundred separate sub-forums dedicated to each of the various console and mobile devices available. I believe what we have now is suitable for what is needed. The topic of discussion can be moved to the appropriate sub-forum as needed by the subject of discussion within the thread. The reason for the current setup is to allow for this. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

12 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Steam deck is mobile and is a console like device. Can be pc if setup right.

I think that software wise it should be treated as a Linux PC,

So software issues will fit into the Linux sub-forum.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

So I'll add my thoughts, as a new Steam Deck owner, I personally would like to have a spot in the community that I frequent that had all of the relevant Steam Deck information all in one spot. 

Categories like:

Steam Deck Plugins (what plugins do you use)

Steam Deck Mods (like 3d printing)

Steam Deck accessories

Steam Deck Themes

Steam OS news / update discussions 

But judging by the tone of the mods here, doubt that will happen anytime soon. And that's their prerogative. I'll just look to other sites like Steam Deck Life, to satisfy my itch for Steam Deck info.

Subforums are intentionally brand agnostic, with the only exceptions being 'Windows' and 'Linux, MacOS, and everything else'. For this reason I don't foresee a dedicated "Steam Deck" subforum. 

Absent a subforum dedicated to a single product, the question is which category best represents that product. We also need to consider where its competitors belong like the Aya Neo, GPD Win, and Nintendo Switch to name a few. The debate then becomes whether devices such as those are considered gaming computers (PC gaming) or handheld gaming consoles (Console Gaming).

I'll raise this internally with the moderation team to discuss but it will also be helpful knowing what category the community in general considers those types of products to fall under, as it should be intuitive for people to find.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Maybe a sub forum under console gaming. I know subforums aren't necessarily liked or needed, but named something like "Steam Deck and other hand held computers." The only part I don't see falling under that would go under Windows or Linux if people are trying to install Windows on them, or different Linux distros. If it's specific to hand held computers the OS issues could technically get caught in that subforum as well.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?