Xbox Series X and S/PDIF speakers

roamingwombat

First time user, so I'm not sure of this is the right subsection for my question. On my Xbox One X I used the LG 27UK600 Monitor and Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers, which formed an excellent combo. I have now upgraded to a Series X, but since Microsoft ditched the S/PDIF port, I can no longer connect my speakers directly to the console. I tried to remedy the situation with an HDMI Converter from Ugreen, which splits the HDMI video and audio signals and includes an S/PDIF port. However, when I connect everything, the monitor simply states "No Signal", after which it enters power saving mode. Thinking the converter might be faulty, I tested it on a Samsung TV (just a normal non-smart set lacking any special features) and everything worked perfectly. I've contacted LG Support, to which I received this reply: "The only thing that could be preventing the output is that the Ugreen device does not support HDCP which could be the reason. TV's in general do support HDCP which is why it is working. The monitor on the other hand does not and will only play what is connected to it directly. Any splitters that may be connected, may need to be HDCP compliant." Only, the Ugreen documentation states that the converter is "HDCP Compliant HDMI 1.4 version". At present I'm stuck playing with a headset, which isn't terrible, but I would really like to connect my speakers again. I would be very grateful for any advice on how to get them working. Thank you for your time.

13 minutes ago, roamingwombat said:

"HDCP Compliant HDMI 1.4 version".

This would be my guess. What happens if you force the xbox to use a lower resolution that falls in the hdmi 1.4 specs? Like 1080? It could be that the Ugreen box can't/doesn't know what to do with a HDMI 2.1 signal.

Thank you for your reply. You are correct. I just tested it. Switched the Xbox to 1080p, connected it via the Ugreen converter and there was the dashboard on my screen. Kept it connected and switched the display settings back to 4K UHD and the screen went black, followed by the "No Signal" message.

The Ugreen converter's booklet states "Support resolution up to 4K*2K/30Hz". I specifically looked for this. Is this irrelevant if the HDMI version is too low?

I suppose my options are now to play at 4K with headset or 1080p with speakers? As someone who always go for the Quality option that is a pretty crappy choice ...

5 hours ago, roamingwombat said:

Thank you for your reply. You are correct. I just tested it. Switched the Xbox to 1080p, connected it via the Ugreen converter and there was the dashboard on my screen. Kept it connected and switched the display settings back to 4K UHD and the screen went black, followed by the "No Signal" message.

The Ugreen converter's booklet states "Support resolution up to 4K*2K/30Hz". I specifically looked for this. Is this irrelevant if the HDMI version is too low?

I suppose my options are now to play at 4K with headset or 1080p with speakers? As someone who always go for the Quality option that is a pretty crappy choice ...

The problem though is that the xbox doesn't support 4k30hz (at least that is my understanding) only 4k60 and 4k120.

On 8/24/2022 at 6:16 PM, Blue4130 said:

The problem though is that the xbox doesn't support 4k30hz (at least that is my understanding) only 4k60 and 4k120.

This is correct. The xbox only supports 4k60 and up. A minimum of a hdmi 2.0a port is needed.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. I've finally managed to get an HDMI 2.0b HDCP 2.2 18Gbps Audio Extractor that supports a resolution of 4K60 and it works flawlessly with my Series X/LG Monitor/Logitech Speakers setup. After many weeks of headset play last night the mighty Z906s boomed once more in glorious 5.1. Don't know if the neighbours are as thrilled, though ...

Thanks again, Blue4130, for putting me on the right track. Also to king_thenorth for your reply.