My new laptop's SSD powers on 2700+ times in 36 hours of total use -- Thanks to Windows Modern standby?

KairuiWang

To begin this story, I got a new laptop with a ryzen 6800h recently. More specifically, this,

image.png.dcc12495ed982da7a4c29a104f109dc6.png

a lenovo thinkbook. Everything was nice until I realised that the stats for my SSD was unreasonbly high.

1bed559282c0f1e335d36c07946144b.thumb.png.a3be8dfe5c40a634eb2bc4972df42f23.png

It kind of freaks me out since my desktop (which I use much more heavily) has only less than 100 power on counts with 500 hours of power on time, ignoring the unsafe shutdowns and errr infos numbers on the laptop.

Now, after some research, I figured out that this is more than just a rare case on me, quite a dozen other users have this similar problem. Some say this is caused by the modern standby on windows having compatibility issues with AMD and the BIOS and stuff, and just waking the hardware (ssd, cpu, etc) frequently to keep it in the modernstandby sleep mode(more professional explanation herehttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby). While personally I believe this theory, but it will be delightful to hear from more tech intelectuals for more ideas.

So, any ideas? (Or comments about how modern standby sucks?)

Some brief info of Windows powerstates:

s0: working state

s1&s3: sleep (dont ask me where is s2 idk) - where everything but the memory shuts down

s4: hibernate - everything shuts down, memory writes into drive and gets recovered when turned on again

s5: shutdown

Modern standby is sth microsoft developed and used for new windows devices to "mimic the seemless experience on a phone." It is a low-powered s0 state, so that when user turns the screen back on, there is a more "seemless" experience, with quicker recovery and wifi undropped. The problem is that this thing is not so polished, causing issues like mine and higher power comsumption during sleep.

Now because my laptop's BIOS doesn't support s3 sleep, I'm trying to replace this modern standby with s4 (by changing the setting in control panel), but no matter how fast SSDs have become, it still takes more seconds to recover from hibernate. D: