PC Cracking noise and burning smell

IsaacR

I built my PC a few moths ago and when I booted it up today after not using it often for about a week I noticed a crackling noise, and after a few minutes I smelled a chemical burn smell. I immediately turned everything off and disconnected it all. Based on smell I think it may be power supply or fan? Note: when I came to my pc the UPS plus had slipped out of the wall, and so I re seated it. 
Specs: ASUS TUF B550M+ WiFi 

AMD R7 5800X

2x8 3000mhz Crucial ballistix RAM

Zotac RTX 3060

EVGA 850W Gold PSU

SK Hynix Gold P31 SSD

(NH-D15 on da cpu)

So the UPS is interesting. What brand and model, and is there a chance the noise and smell were coming from that? Some CyberPower (IIRC) units have a tendency to do exactly that as of late, then catch fire.

Because there's a UPS involved, I'd say disconnect the PSU, take it out of the PC, then with it sitting out on its own somewhere preferably not flammable, jump it and let it sit for a few minutes to see if the smell or crackling start up again. Also, inspect your UPS as thoroughly as you can and see if there are signs of burning or a leftover smell there.

If the UPS looks and smells fine or if the PSU makes noise, RMA the PSU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

So the UPS is interesting. What brand and model, and is there a chance the noise and smell were coming from that? Some CyberPower (IIRC) units have a tendency to do exactly that as of late, then catch fire.

Because there's a UPS involved, I'd say disconnect the PSU, take it out of the PC, then with it sitting out on its own somewhere preferably not flammable, jump it and let it sit for a few minutes to see if the smell or crackling start up again. Also, inspect your UPS as thoroughly as you can and see if there are signs of burning or a leftover smell there.

If the UPS looks and smells fine or if the PSU makes noise, RMA the PSU.

Belkin SurgeMaster. No signs of burning. I am going to set up my PC as a test bench with only Essential components and see if it still makes a cracking sound, as the strongest smell seemed to be from one of the fans