looking for a set of memory to go with my PC, I use blender and unreal engine 5.

Hello I am looking for a good memory set for my pc.

I currently have a ryzen 5 1600af. And 24gb of cheap crucial sticks. Which I want for game design. And some GAMING

So you currently have the 24GB of "cheap Crucial" memory? What speed does it run at? You have XMP enabled, right? With a Ryzen 1600af 3200mhz is the best you can really aim for. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

13 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So you currently have the 24GB of "cheap Crucial" memory? What speed does it run at? You have XMP enabled, right? With a Ryzen 1600af 3200mhz is the best you can really aim for. 

Currently at 3200 and system crashes. I believe this is because of stock speeds at 2400.

3 minutes ago, themazda123 said:

Currently at 3200 and system crashes. I believe this is because of stock speeds at 2400.

The kit (kits since this is obviously a mix) is rated for 2400? Can you link to the actual memory you have?

3200mhz isn't guaranteed on Zen+. 2866 or 2933 should be easily doable though, and the difference isn't going to be very noticeable.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

14 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

whats wrong with your current set? Ram doesnt affect performance much

I

bought it because I originally had a GTX 1060 6gb and it was running at 100% almost all the time. I have a 1080p monitor and I had to upgrade to a RTX 3060 now the CPU is running high and stuttering. I had it clocked at 2400mhz on the memory and now at 3200 and not stuttering but system crashes and the dram light flashing.

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

The kit (kits since this is obviously a mix) is rated for 2400? Can you link to the actual memory you have?

3200mhz isn't guaranteed on Zen+. 2866 or 2933 should be easily doable though, and the difference isn't going to be very noticeable.

That's why I want better memory

1 minute ago, themazda123 said:

That's why I want better memory

I bought a set of 2 crucial 8gb at the same time. Then took a single 8gb out of another PC which is almost identical

Edited by themazda123
miss spelling

6 minutes ago, themazda123 said:

I bought a set of 2 crucial 8gb at the same time. Then took a single 8gb out of another PC which is almost identical

3 dimms would possibly be the cause of the instability.

But since you want more ram for game design, and you want stability at a decent speed, you're looking to upgrade to 2x16GB right? Are you shopping in the United States?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, themazda123 said:

I bought a set of 2 crucial 8gb at the same time. Then took a single 8gb out of another PC with is almost identical

"Almost" identical might not be good enough and three sticks is never desirable, really. 

3200mhz isn't a lock on the first couple gens of Ryzen even with good memory. 

In any case, the difference in performance between 3200 and however much you have to back it off to get the system stable probably isn't going to be super perceptible. It's true that Ryzen is more sensitive to memory speed than people got used to with Intel CPU's but there's still a lot of other limiting factors for performance that will come before it. Your original reason for getting more RAM because you were at 100% GPU utilization doesn't really make any sense. 

As @Fasauceome says, presumably you want to go to 32GB here because nothing else really makes sense and that's going to run you $100+. 

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

3 dimms would possibly be the cause of the instability.

But since you want more ram for game design, and you want stability at a decent speed, you're looking to upgrade to 2x16GB right? Are you shopping in the United States?

1. Yes I am

2. Am in Brisbane Australia. 3 main computer shops near me. Computer alliance, Msy and umart.

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

"Almost" identical might not be good enough and three sticks is never desirable, really. 

3200mhz isn't a lock on the first couple gens of Ryzen even with good memory. 

In any case, the difference in performance between 3200 and however much you have to back it off to get the system stable probably isn't going to be super perceptible. It's true that Ryzen is more sensitive to memory speed than people got used to with Intel CPU's but there's still a lot of other limiting factors for performance that will come before it. Your original reason for getting more RAM because you were at 100% GPU utilization doesn't really make any sense. 

As @Fasauceome says, presumably you want to go to 32GB here because nothing else really makes sense and that's going to run you $100+. 

I originally had a GTX 1060 which ran at 100% so I didn't worry about other components too much. Now that's  gone and I got a 3060 and the CPU is struggling.

5 minutes ago, themazda123 said:

1. Yes I am

2. Am in Brisbane Australia. 3 main computer shops near me. Computer alliance, Msy and umart.

This

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/XCDJ7P/gskill-aegis-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f4-3000c16d-32gisb

Amoung other options would be suitable. Usually I would recommend the used market but 2x16GB is not a very common kit to see on eBay, people often hang on to these for some time. If you do find something for a good price, worth considering.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=4&Z=32768002&S=2800,6600&sort=price&page=1&L=30,170

Mind that if you get 3200MHz and it's not stable with XMP, you can enable XMP and then reduce the speed to 3133 or 3000MHz manually and that often does the trick for me with Zen+ CPUs.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, themazda123 said:

I originally had a GTX 1060 which ran at 100% so I didn't worry about other components too much. Now that's  gone and I got a 3060 and the CPU is struggling.

So, some things you have to understand here:

1. 3200mhz is the best memory speed you can reasonably get with a 1600af

2. Additional quantity of RAM is not going to help the CPU in games

3. Having three sticks is a likely cause of instability

4. Your CPU is increasingly likely to be the limiting factor in your game performance regardless of what you do about memory

I'd be interested to see if the system is stable with just the original 2x8GB at 320mhz. But I presume you wanted more total memory capacity for Blender.

So all you can really do here if you don't want to buy a new CPU is spend a hundred bucks (American - looks more like $150 and up in Bogan Bucks) on a 2x16GB 3200mhz kit, and I am frankly not convinced that's a great investment. 

4 minutes ago, Middcore said:

So, some things you have to understand here:

1. 3200mhz is the best memory speed you can reasonably get with a 1600af

2. Additional quantity of RAM is not going to help the CPU in games

3. Having three sticks is a likely cause of instability

4. Your CPU is increasingly likely to be the limiting factor in your game performance regardless of what you do about memory

I'd be interested to see if the system is stable with just the original 2x8GB at 320mhz. But I presume you wanted more total memory capacity for Blender.

So all you can really do here if you don't want to buy a new CPU is spend a hundred bucks (American - looks more like $150 and up in Bogan Bucks) on a 2x16GB 3200mhz kit, and I am frankly not convinced that's a great investment. 

I'm guessing OP just wants the 2x16GB for the small performance increase that will come from upgrading off the 3x8GB, but probably has the intent to upgrade the CPU in the future. I'd imagine a Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X is pretty appealing for game design.

Primary PC:

1 hour ago, themazda123 said:

Hello I am looking for a good memory set for my pc.

I currently have a ryzen 5 1600af. And 24gb of cheap crucial sticks. Which I want for game design. And some GAMING

Picture of all 3 sticks and pic of the ics (the black squares)?

Oced or not? Crucial bare pcbs clock to the moon as most come with rev e (>4600) but oc ability is not very usable on this old cpu, maybe 3600 at most since they are very light on the imc

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

I'm guessing OP just wants the 2x16GB for the small performance increase that will come from upgrading off the 3x8GB, but probably has the intent to upgrade the CPU in the future. I'd imagine a Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X is pretty appealing for game design.

I am currently saving up for a core i7 or a ryzen 7.

12 minutes ago, themazda123 said:

I am currently saving up for a core i7 or a ryzen 7.

If you want to invest more in your current setup, save for a Ryzen CPU a couple generations ahead. A Ryzen 7 5700X would be a big boost, otherwise don't buy the ram now, buy it when you're replacing the motherboard. You may be looking at DDR5 by that point 

Primary PC:

40 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If you want to invest more in your current setup, save for a Ryzen CPU a couple generations ahead. A Ryzen 7 5700X would be a big boost, otherwise don't buy the ram now, buy it when you're replacing the motherboard. You may be looking at DDR5 by that point 

I don't buy the best PC parts at one time I buy the best deals when I have some money. And like I said before I never worried about the CPU or ram or even motherboard because my Gpu was at its limit at the time. And sense I was force to upgrade my Gpu that's why. I plan first memory then CPU and maybe motherboard if I feel like it

9 hours ago, themazda123 said:

I don't buy the best PC parts at one time I buy the best deals when I have some money. And like I said before I never worried about the CPU or ram or even motherboard because my Gpu was at its limit at the time. And sense I was force to upgrade my Gpu that's why. I plan first memory then CPU and maybe motherboard if I feel like it

What motherboard do you have now? Are there any features you specifically need that you don't have?

The strength of AMD's AM4 platform is the very wide generational support so I usually recommend hanging on to a motherboard if it's not garbage.

Primary PC:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 11:10 PM, Fasauceome said:

What motherboard do you have now? Are there any features you specifically need that you don't have?

The strength of AMD's AM4 platform is the very wide generational support so I usually recommend hanging on to a motherboard if it's not garbage.

I have several motherboards. My first one was a beast but is retired because it doesn't work on win 11. (Asus b450M-K) then I have a gigabyte b450 Arorus pro non wifi currently on and running win 11. I believe I found a memory set that might suit my needs.

Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) CMW32GX4M2C3200C18 Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 RAM. Please let me know if it's any good.

7 hours ago, themazda123 said:

I have several motherboards. My first one was a beast but is retired because it doesn't work on win 11. (Asus b450M-K) then I have a gigabyte b450 Arorus pro non wifi currently on and running win 11. I believe I found a memory set that might suit my needs.

Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) CMW32GX4M2C3200C18 Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 RAM. Please let me know if it's any good.

3200 C18 isn't really all that fast, I would avoid the vengeance RGB unless you really love the way the kit looks. There are lots of other RGB options that are a bit cheaper than the vengeance

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kGkWGX/geil-orion-rgb-amd-edition-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3200-cl16-memory-gaosg432gb3200c16bdc

Personally I'm partial to these, and they're faster too, only CL16 instead of 18

Primary PC: