PC turned off abruptly and won't turn on

Gautam.Dey

Hello everyone, I was watching a movie on my computer and browsing internet, then suddenly my PC just turns off. I tried to start the PC by pressing the power button. Nothing happened. So I turned off my UPS and turned it back on, and pressed the power button on the CPU. My fans and my gpu light up for a split second and turns back off. After that if I press the power button again nothing happens. I have to restart the UPS and then press the power button just to see my fans and gpu light up for a second. Is my PSU gone bad? Do I need to buy a new power supply? 

Generally does indicate a bad PSU, but could be other things as well. Please start by listing your full system specs. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Generally does indicate a bad PSU, but could be other things as well. Please start by listing your full system specs. 

Ryzen 5900x

Msi z570 mag

40gb DDR4

Zotac 3070

Corsair 850TXV2

1 ssd 3 hdd

Reset CMOS first.

40GB of RAM. What's the configuration and brand and model of the RAM?

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

Reset CMOS first.

40GB of RAM. What's the configuration and brand and model of the RAM?

Motherboard BIOS fully up to date?

16gb x2

8gb x1

Please note that, this configuration has been going great without an issue since I got the extra 8gb stick a couple of months ago. 

Bios fully updated. 

Update: tried to start the computer with the 8gb stick removed. Still the same result. 

7 hours ago, Gautam.Dey said:

Corsair 850TXV2

Is this the old yellow label non modular 850w Bronze? If yes, replace it. It's over a decade old and can be the culprit.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

Is this the old yellow label non modular 850w Bronze? If yes, replace it. It's over a decade old and can be the culprit.

Yeah, I think that about it. Gonna buy a new one today. Hopefully everything else is fine. 

15 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Yeah, I think that about it. Gonna buy a new one today. Hopefully everything else is fine. 

Got an EVGA Supernova 1000 GT.

The computer is working fine now.

My old psu is dead.

Press F to pay respect.