New Router/Modem upgrade Questions

lgotham

I currently use Xfinity's Modem/Router Combo and am currently looking to upgrade, my buddy recommended me the TP-Link Archer AX11000

Any other recommendations?

What modem should I use?

18 minutes ago, lgotham said:

What modem should I use?

Depends on the speeds you pay for. At this point Id say a Docsis 3.1 modem. However, there are a few flavors. Firstly some of the cheaper Docsis 3.1 modems only have Gigabit Ethernet and therefore you will only get about 940 Mbps down max. The more expensive Docsis 3.1 modems have a 2.5 Gbps port and thus get faster speeds. Comcast currently offers 1.2 Gbps down with up to 1.4 Gbps down with over provisioning. So the choice is yours. In my case I went with the CM1000v2, because we will NEVER have the faster speeds, currently on the 300 Mbps tier. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

well, what are you searching for in a modem/router? if you want to get down and nerdy i can highly recommend something like a Mikrotik RB4011, but if you want a more plug&play solution the TP Link is a nice option.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, lgotham said:

I currently use Xfinity's Modem/Router Combo and am currently looking to upgrade, my buddy recommended me the TP-Link Archer AX11000

Any other recommendations?

What modem should I use?

On 8/19/2022 at 10:15 AM, Donut417 said:

Depends on the speeds you pay for. At this point Id say a Docsis 3.1 modem.

As stated get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, and I would recommend gettting seperate modem and routers, if it is in the budget. I have the Arris Surfboard s33 and it works fine, but it is just the modem. I then use an asus router. The other option, if you just need better wifi and the modem is fine, is to put the combo in bridgemode. The Archer you linked is fine. I don't know how big your house is or anything, but TP link also makes some Mesh systems that might be useful depending.

On 8/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, RollinLower said:

well, what are you searching for in a modem/router? if you want to get down and nerdy i can highly recommend something like a Mikrotik RB4011, but if you want a more plug&play solution the TP Link is a nice option.

definitely plug and play 

On 8/19/2022 at 11:56 AM, RollinLower said:

Personally looking for just something good quality and won't ever have any issues with anything being thrown at it