Asus Mobo won't POST with GTX 285

Hey! So while working on a retro gaming build, I've been having one of the weirdest issues I've ever ran into: my Asus P5Q-EM DO uATX motherboard outright refuses to post with an nVidia GeForce GTX 285 specifically. The card works with another slightly newer asus mobo, the M5A97 R2.0, and the board works with both onboard and with a Radeon HD 5450. Bios is the latest version - 1301, released in 2013(beta). CMOS clearing also didn't work.

I hit the power button, all of the fans spin up(including the gpu's blower, and the led turns green) and the cpu fan revs up to full speed and never slows down. No beeps, no error code, the power button led never turns on, a bit of hdd activity for a couple seconds and then nothing, and no video signal. 

My specs: Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3Ghz Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 with 120mm fan Thermaltake Smart 80+ Gold 600w psu EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB

Ive had a similar issue with a p5q not wanting to display with a gts 250 though thats a gen or 2 behind the gtx 200 series (gts 250 is just a rereleased 9800gt)

the thing wouldnt even work on my giga ep45 either, yet both work fine with a 9500gt, but on x48 and x58 the gts 250 works fime. Maybe you have a similar issue with the gpu not initialising, only thing i can do is add a dummy gpu to make it work with teh gts 250, though this didnt work with a riser and you need an extra x16 slot

These old boards can headless boot (no gpu) so still post but no display as gpu is not detected/initialized

Only thing i can reccomend is reselling the gpu for a diff one that wont have this issue, btw if you wanna have a go at overclocking then entry point is a gigabyte g31m with the best boards being ep45 ud3r/p just as an fyi, asus is pretty meh other than their x38 and x48 boards

55 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ive had a similar issue with a p5q not wanting to display with a gts 250 though thats a gen or 2 behind the gtx 200 series (gts 250 is just a rereleased 9800gt)

the thing wouldnt even work on my giga ep45 either, yet both work fine with a 9500gt, but on x48 and x58 the gts 250 works fime. Maybe you have a similar issue with the gpu not initialising, only thing i can do is add a dummy gpu to make it work with teh gts 250, though this didnt work with a riser and you need an extra x16 slot

These old boards can headless boot (no gpu) so still post but no display as gpu is not detected/initialized

Only thing i can reccomend is reselling the gpu for a diff one that wont have this issue, btw if you wanna have a go at overclocking then entry point is a gigabyte g31m with the best boards being ep45 ud3r/p just as an fyi, asus is pretty meh other than their x38 and x48 boards

Thanks for the quick response! Nice to know I'm not the only one with an issue like this. Do you happen to know of any GPUs from around this time period that should work with the board?

8 hours ago, Ryder252 said:

Thanks for the quick response! Nice to know I'm not the only one with an issue like this. Do you happen to know of any GPUs from around this time period that should work with the board?

Well the amd gpus seem to be working fine for you so id try that but if you want a 200 series then just buy another one and see what happens