Brand new hard drive making weird noises

Hi all!

I am having this weird issue, well what I think is an issue with some brand new hard drives. I recently bought 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB hard drives (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47556/seagate-barracuda-6tb-st6000dm003-3-5in-hard-drive)

They seem to make this weird sound I have tried to catch in the video. It seems to happen every 5 seconds or so, even at idle, then it will stop for a bit and then happen again. It might be hard to hear in the video so you will need to turn it way up but in person it is definitely quite loud. I am not sure if this is cause for concern in terms of them actually being faulty or just me being paranoid.

I recently had 2x 4TB Seagate Barracuda's, one of which died and I sold the other to my friend, and they didn't seem to have this weird sound. These 4TB drives lasted a few years.

Even if this isn't cause for concern, is there a reason for the noise? And can I somehow stop it? Because it's not like its happening when it is being accessed. Even completely idle it does it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 🙂 

I have my speakers, Windows volume, and the player all cranked, and I don't hear a thing.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

22 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I have my speakers, Windows volume, and the player all cranked, and I don't hear a thing.

Hmm... I will try and catch it again on a better device.

That does sound like the heads being moved something akin to them being parked and unparked as I have a drive that does that but not that often.

One place to look is power management, specifically the hard disc option and change the setting to turn them off to 0 (which stops the drives from being turned off) as that is how I stopped my drive from doing head movements when it wasn't being access.

14 hours ago, demonix00 said:

That does sound like the heads being moved something akin to them being parked and unparked as I have a drive that does that but not that often.

One place to look is power management, specifically the hard disc option and change the setting to turn them off to 0 (which stops the drives from being turned off) as that is how I stopped my drive from doing head movements when it wasn't being access.

Thanks for your input!

I assume this is the setting you are referring to? It was set to 20 mins by default. I will try this and see how it goes for the next few days!

Thank you! 🙂 

Screenshot 2022-08-20 233657.png

On 8/20/2022 at 9:23 AM, demonix00 said:

Yea that didn't fix it at all haha.