EZ Debug - amber DRAM, red CPU, white VGA, green BOOT -- System seems to run fine -- WTH?

An0maly_76

Continuation of previous thread that I can't seem to find -- 5900X, Asus TUF B550-PLUS, Ballistix BL16G32C16U4B.16FE (x2), Asus KO RTX3060ti-8GB-OC, WD Blue SN570 1TB. Previously had random blank screen on startup, about every 8-12 cold boots. Finally caught an amber DRAM light on POST failure with no video. DIMMs tested okay solo and tandem, swapped GPU and RAM, also BL16G32C16U4B.16FE (x2) from another machine anyway. Updated to latest BIOS, issue remained. During this troubleshooting, POST produced amber DRAM, red CPU, white VGA and green BOOT lights. Asus approved RMA at that time.

DIMMs, GPU and M.2 NVME were transferred to an ASRock B450M-HDV with a used 3600X as a test bed for for further troubleshooting. That setup ran okay (albeit with a constant Win10 hourglass) for two weeks, at which point the BL16G32C16U4B.16FE DIMMs apparently failed and will no longer POST in any configuration. Determined at that time that of the three machines, none of the motherboards' QVLs supported BL16G32C16U4B.16FE. Acquired and installed BL2K16G36C16U4B (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1 x2) in AsRock B450M-HDV from that board's QVL. That machine now runs fine with no obvious issue.

Asus returned the Tuf B550-PLUS, stating "could not duplicate issue, updated latest BIOS and firmware for optimum performance". Board transferred to Fractal Pop Air XL with 5900X, using Patriot Viper 4 Black out PVB432G320C6K from its QVL, adding a Pioneer BDR-212DBK. Now gives RAID configuration warning (for a HDD and DVD-BR drive?), and POST continues to produce amber DRAM, red CPU, white VGA and green BOOT lights. Setup seems to run fine, but one debug light has gone white after going out on POST. Power accidentally interrupted trying to identify the light. Restarting produced no video, shut down again. Next restart, like nothing happened. No further issues as of yet.

Seeing 40-55C idle temps as opposed to 38C-43C before, but despite wider temp swings at idle (15-20C vs 5C before) seems to run fine after with no error and does not top 72C under a heavy BeamNG or American Truck Simulator load. No crashes or stuttering so far. I spawn 20 cars chasing in BeamNG with a 160-200+ mph vehicle with high reflective detail and other settings at 3840x2160, and run 75-85 mph in ATS with high to ultra settings at 2560x1440 and 3840x2160, so if anything will cause temperature, stuttering or crashing, that should do it.

Since the RAM is QVL'd and should not be an issue, three possible conclusions to draw here (I am open to other suggestions)...

1) Asus board is faulty, and techs are clueless or didn't really give my board much more than a once over (possible, as my RMA status went from a 10-day wait to on its way back to me).

2) 5900X is faulty and slowly failing.

3) Update to latest BIOS exacerbated whatever issue was already there (debug lights started going nuts post update).

Is there any way to confirm a faulty CPU without putting it on another board?

At the moment, looking at this machine like...

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

5 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

amber DRAM, red CPU, white VGA and green BOOT lights

That's expected. Boards with debug LEDs go in that order at all times. 

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

but one debug light has gone white after going out on POST. Power accidentally interrupted trying to identify the light.

You did identify the LED, it's VGA. The debug LEDs aren't RGB, they're color coded, so amber is always DRAM, red is always CPU, white is always VGA, and green is always boot. Since it was the white LED that lit, that means it was the VGA LED that lit. 

8 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

(debug lights started going nuts post update)

Definte "going nuts." What you described is what I'd expect from the debug LEDs from every board I own with them. 

It is possible that the latest BIOS revision is bad, there are times on AMD boards where the latest BIOS is just kinda broken, you can try an earlier BIOS and see if that fixes it, though given what you're describing, it doesn't really sound like it's worth doing much to it. It doesn't POST every once in a while, and the solution is to just flip reboot it. That's not really bad. There might be some BIOS setting that's misconfigured (I've seen this happen on my old Taichi, forget the BIOS setting I had to change to get it to stop, it was either fastboot or CSM), but I wouldn't really spend too much time trying to fix it. 

RMA Techs usually dont know jack shit, and are bottom tier of the tech totem pole of actually knowing whats wrong, but also this kind of thing tends to be a pain in the ass when you dont have the exact hardware tested. 

Honestly speaking, it could very well just be a RAM and Mobo issue, or just a shit luck with the IMC on the cpu. My 3800x pretty much hates most of GSkills ram kits that use Hynix, was fine with crucial. From not booting at all, to getting into bios but crashing upon windows boot or a load at XMP 3600, and a whole other array of issues.

Just wanted to mention that while all LEDs usually go out once booting on my ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F, I have seen the white LED stay lit once, with no side effects whatsoever.

So if the PC is working okay, I'd take what the LEDs are doing with a pinch of salt.

Router:  Intel Celeron N5105 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~915Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

30 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's expected. Boards with debug LEDs go in that order at all times. 

You did identify the LED, it's VGA. The debug LEDs aren't RGB, they're color coded, so amber is always DRAM, red is always CPU, white is always VGA, and green is always boot. Since it was the white LED that lit, that means it was the VGA LED that lit. 

Definte "going nuts." What you described is what I'd expect from the debug LEDs from every board I own with them.

I've just never seen debug LEDs do this before. And this board did not do this when I first built this machine, in fact, it never happened until I was troubleshooting the RAM. I've always seen white or green unless a serious issue was detected, in which case they went red. Unfortunately the ASRock B450M-HDV doesn't seem to have them, so I have nothing to compare it to other than what I've seen on the MSI B450M Bazooka in the 1700 rig I have.

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

I've just never seen debug LEDs do this before. And this board did not do this when I first built this machine, in fact, it never happened until I was troubleshooting the RAM. I've always seen white or green unless a serious issue was detected, in which case they went red. Unfortunately the ASRock B450M-HDV doesn't seem to have them, so I have nothing to compare it to other than what I've seen on the MSI B450M Bazooka in the 1700 rig I have.

I can get a video of what my X570 Aorus Master looks like if you want to see that, it always goes CPU, RAM (sometimes that loops, more than once), VGA, boot. Every single board I've had does that, both my Rampage III (black and formula) do that, my Z170 OC Formula does that, all the MSI boards I've used do that, the ASRock boards I've used do that, even the Crosshair VI I've used did that (sold that board a few months ago though, otherwise I'd get a video of that). Only thing different is that your board's LEDs are color coded. 

It just sounds like you didn't notice them before. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I can get a video of what my X570 Aorus Master looks like if you want to see that, it always goes CPU, RAM (sometimes that loops, more than once), VGA, boot. Every single board I've had does that, both my Rampage III (black and formula) do that, my Z170 OC Formula does that, all the MSI boards I've used do that, the ASRock boards I've used do that, even the Crosshair VI I've used did that (sold that board a few months ago though, otherwise I'd get a video of that). Only thing different is that your board's LEDs are color coded. 

It just sounds like you didn't notice them before. 

Maybe, but I remember watching the LED behavior on my 1700 rig's MSI B450M Bazooka, and I just don't remember seeing anything but white or green. I don't recall this one doing it until recently.

Strangely, I couldn't seem to catch it doing this when it would randomly blank screen on start before, either... But could the RAM failing have been messing with their operation? After all, they did test okay in that machine, only to fail in another two weeks later. But I always thought these lights were white for testing, red for failure,  green for pass.

I did just watch a video corroborating what others are saying here, so I could see perhaps the MSI board (2018 production vs the Asus board's 2022 production) might have been different. The ASRock B450M-HDV apparently has no LED's, as I've never seen one lit. Hence, I have no basis for comparison.

However, I did notice the video was referencing an Intel setup. Is there any chance AMD and Intel chipsets do this differently? Because I've only dealt with the debug LEDs on AMD chipset boards, never Intel.

In any case, from what most commenting are saying, the lights are doing what they're supposed to, and while it's too early to call it, it certainly sounds as though the RAM was the previous problem. But why would one of these lights go white after going out upon a successful POST and boot?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!