Suddenly terrible internet, with no upload whatsoever over ethernet

TheBahrbarian

This has had me stumped for a while. Haven't used my desktop PC in a few months, recently came back to using it. Noticed I was having pretty terrible internet load times, even basics like my email were taking forever to load. It is impossible to watch a YouTube video at almost any quality without constant buffering (quality will auto adjust to 144p). And on top of that, I have almost no upload capability, I literally cannot even attach a file to an email, or even upload a simple photo to discord, they both fail. My email/google drive will often gray out and suddenly say offline. In general, I have had super weird behavior; simply trying to download new drivers from AMD's website the file downloaded the first 60% very fast (as is normal) than froze, and would eventually simply fail. All of these symptoms have been repeatable over the course of over a week now and across multiple browsers and apps.

So far I've tried:

• Checking for new network drivers (none found)
  • Complete a full windows defender scan (no issues found)
  • Connected to my router via a new ethernet port on the router with a new ethernet cable (same symptoms)
  • Reset network adapter via Windows settings (again, no changes)
  • "Troubleshoot" network adapter issues (no issues found)

All of this while still able to consistently return 120mbps down, but legitimately 0.00mbps upload on Speedtest. For reference, using the Speedtest app on my phone on wifi I get 110mbps download and 110 upload (what it should be). Also of note is that not a single other device in my household is having any issues, in fact I've resorted to watching videos and downloading files using my phone via wifi since it's way faster.

I tried one of those super cheap USB wifi adapters I had lying around and it seemed to fix the issue, so the problem clearly lies somewhere in my network adapter. I just am at a loss what else to try. Any help is much appreciated.

Statistically there most common problem with wired networks is an unplugged cable.  You took care of that when you changed ports I assume. Some wires are connecting but others aren’t is a possibility.  Also some issue with tcpip or port forwarding or some such.  I’m wondering if you have an IP address that is in one of the protected catagories 192.x is one.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.