Jump to content

Small form factor PC with available PCIe slot?

Budget (including currency): $1,200 USD

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: ProPresenter7, PowerPoint, Office, DAW software

Other details:
I’m looking to replace an older Shuttle Cube PC (8th Gen i5-8600k in a SH370R6) with something that has more powerful integrated graphics.

I’d like to stay with the Shuttle XPC, but it only supports up to 11th Gen. CPUs…. I want to get a 12th Gen CPU.
Are there any other similar cases that do support a 12th Gen desktop CPU?
I’d also consider a similar system with a Ryzen 7 5700G or Ryzen 5 5600G.

 

Requirements:
Integrated GPU with 3 display outputs (DP and/or HDMI)
One PCIe x4 slot for a DeckLink Duo 2 card.

What small form factor cases & motherboards would fit that?
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ryzen chips would be your goto.

 

Could opt for a tried and true nr200p here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The case I saw when I looked up "Shuttle Cube PC" reminded me of my SilverStone SG13, so why not go with that (I would recommend an AIO though) or the slightly bigger SG14? Both of them are ITX only as far as I know.

Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

 

"Don't worry, be happy"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't found a mini-ITX motherboard that offers 3 DP or HDMI ports. One can use display port MST to support 2 - 4 monitors through one port.

 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($342.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: EK EK-AIO Basic 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($128.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B660-I GAMING WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory  ($189.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li A4-H20 X4 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1256.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-18 16:40 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks,
I think I will fall back to the Shuttle SH570R6, with a Gen 11 CPU.  I’m just not happy with any of the Gen12 or Ryzen 5700G/5600G options I’m finding.
I’d LOVE a Gen12 version of the Shuttle, but it is not available yet (does anyone know if Shuttle has plans to release a Gen12 XPC Cube, and when?).

 

So, I’m considering the i7-11700K 125W or the i7-11700 65W… $318 for the 125W or 344 for the 65W.
What would be the real-world performance difference between the 125W and 65W versions?
Noise is an important consideration for this PC, so I’m leaning towards the 65W, but how much does that affect performance?
I don’t plan on doing any overclocking or anything fancy.  This is not for gaming, but rather for PowerPoint & ProPresenter7 in a church projection system.  ProPresenter7 does benefit from a good GPU.  And, our current 8th Gen i5-8600k using integrated graphics does OK, but ProPresenter7 pushes it to the limit.

 

Attached is the build I am considering.
Thoughts? (especially concerning 65W vs 125W CPU)
 

Newegg PC Build.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arlin Sandbulte said:

Thanks,
I think I will fall back to the Shuttle SH570R6, with a Gen 11 CPU.  I’m just not happy with any of the Gen12 or Ryzen 5700G/5600G options I’m finding.
I’d LOVE a Gen12 version of the Shuttle, but it is not available yet (does anyone know if Shuttle has plans to release a Gen12 XPC Cube, and when?).

 

So, I’m considering the i7-11700K 125W or the i7-11700 65W… $318 for the 125W or 344 for the 65W.
What would be the real-world performance difference between the 125W and 65W versions?
Noise is an important consideration for this PC, so I’m leaning towards the 65W, but how much does that affect performance?
I don’t plan on doing any overclocking or anything fancy.  This is not for gaming, but rather for PowerPoint & ProPresenter7 in a church projection system.  ProPresenter7 does benefit from a good GPU.  And, our current 8th Gen i5-8600k using integrated graphics does OK, but ProPresenter7 pushes it to the limit.

 

Attached is the build I am considering.
Thoughts? (especially concerning 65W vs 125W CPU)
 

Newegg PC Build.pdf 169.67 kB · 2 downloads

No point really going 980 Pro, and there’s also no point going with a K sku CPU when you’re not going to be overclocking. I would stick with the 11700 non K and a 970 Evo Plus SSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

also no point going with a K sku CPU when you’re not going to be overclocking. I would stick with the 11700 non K...

Right, but the K is actually cheaper....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Arlin Sandbulte said:

Right, but the K is actually cheaper....

Ah, interesting. Didn’t see that. In that case I’d get the K series chip. It won’t be able to overclock because of the chipset but as you said you’re not overclocking. Going 11th gen new is definitely a waste of money but you are looking for a specific system; that said, I’d look for a used non-K CPU on eBay or something.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the 11700K (125W) actually use the same power as the 11700?

That would be a reason to go with the non-K.  Less power usage and quieter operation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Arlin Sandbulte said:

Does the 11700K (125W) actually use the same power as the 11700?

That would be a reason to go with the non-K.  Less power usage and quieter operation.

 

The i7-11700 is a 65W TDP part. So it uses less power but also offers lower performance. With the exception of DAW, the performance difference will not be noticeable. DAW performance depends on usage which is not clear to me.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, I found the ASRock DESKMEET X300 case, which is very close to what I'm looking for.

Displays outs are 1x VGA, 1x DisplayPort, & 1x HDMI.  In my application, I'm using all 3 display outs, but they are all getting converted to VGA anyway.  So, the DeskMeet is great.  One less converter!

Also, it does not have room for the DVD drive, which was just a bonus of the Shuttle XPC Cube.  I could live without that, or get an external.

 

So, how would you rate these 3 systems ?  (see attached for details)

  1. Shuttle XPC Cube SH570R6 with i7-11700K CPU & integrated graphics ($1,707.93)
  2. ASRock DeskMeet B660 with i7-12700 CPU & integrated graphics ($1,426.93)
  3. ASRock Deskmeet X300 with 5600G CPU & integrated graphics ($1,228.25)

Newegg PC Build #1 (Shuttle with i7-11700k).pdf Newegg PC Build #2 (ASRock with i7-12700).pdf Newegg PC Build #3 (ASRock with Ryzen 5600G).pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use pcpartpicker.com for build lists. You can easily add custom parts and adjust pricing. It makes it much easier for others to read as you can post a link or a nicely formatted list.

 

The i7-12700 has significantly higher performance than the other two, ~25%+. You might consider an i5-12600. It would offer better thermals and CPU performance between the 5600G and i7-11700K.

 

Consider a larger case that allows for a better performing cpu cooler.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Arlin Sandbulte said:

Hmmm, I found the ASRock DESKMEET X300 case, which is very close to what I'm looking for.

Displays outs are 1x VGA, 1x DisplayPort, & 1x HDMI.  In my application, I'm using all 3 display outs, but they are all getting converted to VGA anyway.  So, the DeskMeet is great.  One less converter!

Also, it does not have room for the DVD drive, which was just a bonus of the Shuttle XPC Cube.  I could live without that, or get an external.

 

So, how would you rate these 3 systems ?  (see attached for details)

  1. Shuttle XPC Cube SH570R6 with i7-11700K CPU & integrated graphics ($1,707.93)
  2. ASRock DeskMeet B660 with i7-12700 CPU & integrated graphics ($1,426.93)
  3. ASRock Deskmeet X300 with 5600G CPU & integrated graphics ($1,228.25)

Newegg PC Build #1 (Shuttle with i7-11700k).pdf 165.89 kB · 0 downloads Newegg PC Build #2 (ASRock with i7-12700).pdf 162.97 kB · 1 download Newegg PC Build #3 (ASRock with Ryzen 5600G).pdf 164.2 kB · 0 downloads

Would definitely go with the 12700 build between those three. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

pcpartpicker.com seemed kinda limiting in choices.

For example, they don't list the Shuttle XPC Cube SH570R6 or ASRock DeskMeet cases at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Arlin Sandbulte said:

pcpartpicker.com seemed kinda limiting in choices.

For example, they don't list the Shuttle XPC Cube SH570R6 or ASRock DeskMeet cases at all.

 

True, but they are easily added to a build list as a custom part. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I shifted gears and decided to just go with a microATX build instead.  Thus, I can get away from the integrated GPU and keep an open PCIe x4 (or x16) for the BalckMagic DeckLink Duo 2 card.

Check this new thread out if you care to leave feedback about my microATX build.  THANKS!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×