Worth waiting for a better spec'd laptop?

ev3nvy

I am a student in a need of a laptop and I found pretty decent deals at a local shop near where I live. The one that caught my eye is Lenovo YOGA Slim 7 Pro Gen 6.

They are selling it for 1000€, but it's currently out of stock, and they don't know when they will have it in stock again.

Specs:

- Ryzen 7 5800H

- 16GB DDR4 RAM

- 512 MB M.2 SSD

- 16" 2560x1600 touchscreen

- Nvidia RTX 3050

They just got a shipment with a similar laptop (Ryzen 5 5600H and GTX 1650 being the only 2 differences) and they are selling it for 900€.

So, I am wondering if it's worth waiting for the better model. The main two concerns I have are:

- the cheaper one goes out of stock and none of them get back in-stock on time (I need it at the end of august),

- I don't know how much faster the other one is, because I'm not sure it can leverage the extra cpu and gpu power due to its small form factor.

So the two questions I have, are:

- Can the better spec'd laptop fully leverage its extra power or at least run noticeably faster?

- Should I wait for the better spec'd laptop? 

The more expensive one will do better

you could wait for new stuff but it could take till Christmas or even later for it to become widely available

I just got a brand new laptop for school because, I figured it wasn't worth the wait, but it is up to you

1 hour ago, ev3nvy said:

I am a student in a need of a laptop and I found pretty decent deals at a local shop near where I live. The one that caught my eye is Lenovo YOGA Slim 7 Pro Gen 6.

They are selling it for 1000€, but it's currently out of stock, and they don't know when they will have it in stock again.

Specs:

- Ryzen 7 5800H

- 16GB DDR4 RAM

- 512 MB M.2 SSD

- 16" 2560x1600 touchscreen

- Nvidia RTX 3050

They just got a shipment with a similar laptop (Ryzen 5 5600H and GTX 1650 being the only 2 differences) and they are selling it for 900€.

So, I am wondering if it's worth waiting for the better model. The main two concerns I have are:

- the cheaper one goes out of stock and none of them get back in-stock on time (I need it at the end of august),

- I don't know how much faster the other one is, because I'm not sure it can leverage the extra cpu and gpu power due to its small form factor.

So the two questions I have, are:

- Can the better spec'd laptop fully leverage its extra power or at least run noticeably faster?

- Should I wait for the better spec'd laptop? 

I wouldn't wait for that higher-end spec to come in. School is presumably just two or three weeks away. The laptop could show up next week... or it could show up in six weeks, forcing you to buy something just to get work done.

Unless gaming is particularly important to you, I'd be happy with the 5600H/GTX 1650 trim. That's plenty for productivity, watching videos and light gaming.

The issue with this yoga is that it CANNOT cool itslef at all with these specs. Its designed for a u series cpu without a extra gpu

IF OP wants a good gaming experience, besides school stuff, then I'd suggest looking at the Lenovo Legion 5 series, I dunno what prices are like in OP's neck of the woods, so I guess he'd have to look around. Honestly speaking, I've seen reviews of laptops with RTX 3050/3050 Ti vs the RTX 3060, and it wasn't even close, plus the extra VRAM on the latter helps.

I was shopping around for a laptop to sate that gaming itch while I'm overseas and found a used Legion 5 Pro (AMD R7 5800H, 2x 8GB RAM, RTX 3070, 1TB SSD + 2TB SSD (added myself)) with about 23 months of Premium Care warranty left, so I snagged it. Now a fan of Lenovo Legion series...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

A little update:

Seeing

On 8/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, 4ce_Games said:

you could wait for new stuff but it could take till Christmas or even later for it to become widely available

and

On 8/18/2022 at 7:11 PM, Commodus said:

I wouldn't wait for that higher-end spec to come in.

I went to the store today prepared to buy the 1650 machine and I asked when is the higher-end one getting back in stock. They told me to call them at the end of next week, as they would've probably ordered a new batch around that time. So based on that, I decided to not commit just yet and wait out a bit longer.

I need it at the end of august

Is what I said in the original post, which is a mistake; I meant at the end of September, my bad.

I also forgot to mention what I intend to use it for.

I do software development in my free time and in school, and none of the programs are performance intensive (VS Code, VS), so performance isn't really an issue in that department.

As for gaming I usually play e-sports titles such as Valorant, CS:GO, Rocket League, etc., but I do still want the kind of performance these machines provide because:

• I may occasionally want to play something more performance intensive (for example Grounded doesn't run particularly well on my 2600X/1050 desktop),
  • and I want something futureproof.

On 8/19/2022 at 1:39 PM, jaslion said:

The issue with this yoga is that it CANNOT cool itslef at all with these specs. Its designed for a u series cpu without a extra gpu

This does raise some concern, but on-the-go I don't expect to hit it much so that isn't a concern. For usage at home, I will have to see how hard it throttles and what the cooling solution is like and based on that I will see what I can do.

IF OP wants a good gaming experience, besides school stuff, then I'd suggest looking at the Lenovo Legion 5 series, I dunno what prices are like in OP's neck of the woods, so I guess he'd have to look around. Honestly speaking, I've seen reviews of laptops with RTX 3050/3050 Ti vs the RTX 3060, and it wasn't even close, plus the extra VRAM on the latter helps.

Legion line looks considerably more expensive here even for the worse spec'd laptops, thank you for the suggestion though.

I'll post an update on what I end up buying. Thanks for all the information and suggestions.

1 hour ago, ev3nvy said:

This does raise some concern, but on-the-go I don't expect to hit it much so that isn't a concern. For usage at home, I will have to see how hard it throttles and what the cooling solution is like and based on that I will see what I can do.

To explain how poor it is. Its meant to handle a 25w cpu not this 100w heatload. Youll also run into this on the go as it will be allowed yo go up yo 50 ish watts

Dont get this device get something else