Jump to content

Will a 65w usbc charger work?

4ce_Games
 Share

I have a new gigabyte laptop, it comes with a 230w charger, but I am also looking into getting a USB-C charger so that I can have a small one for on the go, like in classes and stuff. Would getting a 65w charger work? I know it would be slower but would it suffice?

 

the battery is about 49 whrs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on what the laptop needs in terms of charging voltage and whether it implements USB-PD. A properly USB-PD-compliant 65 W charger should support everything from 5, 9, 15 to 20V 3A. If the laptop uses one of those to charge then I think it should be ok, assuming that the laptop uses USB-PD and that you use a USB-PD compliant charger.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, tikker said:

Depends on what the laptop needs in terms of charging voltage and whether it implements USB-PD. A properly USB-PD-compliant 65 W charger should support everything from 5, 9, 15 to 20V 3A. If the laptop uses one of those to charge then I think it should be ok, assuming that the laptop uses USB-PD and that you use a USB-PD compliant charger.

Looking at the specs page on the gigabyte site, all it says is the 49 whrs and the 230w cable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, 4ce_Games said:

Looking at the specs page on the gigabyte site, all it says is the 49 whrs and the 230w cable

What is the model? If you look at the charger brick it should also tell you what it outputs / can output.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, tikker said:

What is the model? If you look at the charger brick it should also tell you what it outputs / can output.

The input is 100-240v and 3.5a

the output is 19.5v and 11.8a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2022 at 6:00 PM, 4ce_Games said:

The input is 100-240v and 3.5a

the output is 19.5v and 11.8a

Hmm 19.5 isn't among the required voltages for USB-PD. What is the laptop model? I would check the manual, but you may need to be more selective when looking for chargers than just any USB-C one to make sure that voltage is supported. 11.8 A is also high, so you can't have it revving up to heavy load if using a lesser charger.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×