Something like winrar but more secure?

jakeA

You know how you can drop files into a winrar folder and then add a password.I am looking for software that will do this and encrypt the folder and then store it in the cloud.

Any suggestions?

7 minutes ago, jakeA said:

Any suggestions?

You might want to look into encrypted file containers. Truecrypt, which is now outdated, so now look at Veracrypt can create these. The file can be anything a zip file, an image, a document, etc.  

Veracrypt is cross platform too, so this will work in Windows, Linux, and Mac.

@OhioYJ The problem with Veracrypt is the containers have to be mounted as a drive, or is there another way?

22 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

@OhioYJ The problem with Veracrypt is the containers have to be mounted as a drive, or is there another way?

Not as far as I'm aware. They will be mounted as a drive. You select the letter / location. Is this a security / permission problem or something? I've never thought of this as a "problem"? I do believe I remember reading something about there being a security risk about editing containers over the network, and it not being recommended you do this. Compared to WinRAR it's obviously in another league of security.