Monitors Disconnect From PC while Playing Apex

niyelcc
When playing apex, my monitors will randomly disconnect from my PC completely with no warning. Unplugging them from power and unplugging the display cables doesn't fix the issue, the only fix is completely restarting the PC. This started happening 3 days ago (August 15th). This is the same day I rearranged my room, so at first I assumed it might have been a issue with the outlet I plugged my surge protector into.

Specs:
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
  • Ram: 32GB DDR4 2400MHz (Corsair Vengeance LPX)
  • PSU: Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Full Custom Loop

Troubleshooting I've done:
  • Ran Cinebench and FurMark for about an hour to try and simulate my PC being under load while gaming, and I had 0 disconnects when doing this
  • Tried removing and reinstalling my GPU
  • Deleted and redownloaded apex
  • Plugged my surge protector back into its original outlet (since the issue didn't come up until after switching in the first place)
  • Closed my clipping software (outplayed) because this event came up in event viewer

I'm going to try playing other games to see if it happens. The only I can really think of it being right now is some sort of physical damage to the GPU or a problem with Apex. It being a problem with Apex is of course the most favorable outcome because it'd mean I don't have to spend money I don't have on a new GPU. However I can't just rule out the possibility of something being wrong with the card physically. Beyond that I'm pretty much at a loss. This is really my only other clue as to what might be going on, seeing as before the 15th I do not have any logs of this event. Any suggestions are seriously appreciated.

This sounds like it may be driver issue. (small chance of a low quality cable as well) You may want to start by rolling back graphics drivers, or if available testing other cables, it is also worthwhile to make sure that your ports are clean.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

11 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This sounds like it may be driver issue. (small chance of a low quality cable as well) You may want to start by rolling back graphics drivers, or if available testing other cables, it is also worthwhile to make sure that your ports are clean.

Thanks for your reply!

I just uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers right now. I wouldn't have updated them but the reinstall put me on drivers from October 2020. If the problem persist I'm going to rollback one update and see if that changes anything. I'm also going to try changing cables if it does happen again.

On 8/18/2022 at 3:24 AM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

As far as I can tell the problem is with Apex itself. I've rolled back my drivers, l stress tested my PC again (got up to and sat at 90 on my CPU and 80 on my GPU with no black screens + my thermals don't even get close to that when gaming), played valorant for a decent bit of time with no problems, and switched Display Port cables as well as trying my HDMI inputs. I noticed that the only thing that crashes when it happens is Apex. I can tell because I'm unable to hear the game anymore, but the rest of my system sounds continue to work. While I have no video input anymore, I was still able to pause and unpause both my Spotify and YouTube through my keyboard, as well as hear the Windows background sound when trying to alt tab into something. I'm going to try Apex on Origin to see if it still happens, and try playing Valorant + some other games to really confirm if it's the issue. Unless I've missed something completely, I feel like Apex wouldn't crash if it was a problem with the GPU overall (or maybe thats my wishful thinking idk atp.)