Jump to content

Very High Idle Temps

Pluggedvize
 Share

I am having some very strange temperature readings from my GPU. It's stopped throttling off after seconds of start up, and since then I've been trying to figure out why this is happening. It's a EVGA Geforce RTX 3080XC3 Hybrid. If anyone has some useful information about what has been going on or what they can see, that would be appreciated. All cables are secured, the GPU and radiator are mounted appropriately, no leaks or other clearly faulty behavior from the GPU.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pluggedvize said:

I am having some very strange temperature readings from my GPU. It's stopped throttling off after seconds of start up, and since then I've been trying to figure out why this is happening. It's a EVGA Geforce RTX 3080XC3 Hybrid. If anyone has some useful information about what has been going on or what they can see, that would be appreciated. All cables are secured, the GPU and radiator are mounted appropriately, no leaks or other clearly faulty behavior from the GPU.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 290.57 kB · 12 downloads

I might check the paste job on the cooler.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I might check the paste job on the cooler.

 Just realized that the pump may be dead because the radiator is room temperature. If it were working, wouldn’t it be trying to cool it off? I’m not a computer whiz, but it seems like common sense. The fans spin on the radiator at 100%, as if the radiator is pulling heat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Pluggedvize said:

 Just realized that the pump may be dead because the radiator is room temperature. If it were working, wouldn’t it be trying to cool it off? I’m not a computer whiz, but it seems like common sense. The fans spin on the radiator at 100%, as if the radiator is pulling heat. 

If you don't hear any noise coming from the pump, sounds like it's time to RMA.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

 

Main System Specifications: 

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Pluggedvize said:

 Just realized that the pump may be dead because the radiator is room temperature. If it were working, wouldn’t it be trying to cool it off? I’m not a computer whiz, but it seems like common sense. The fans spin on the radiator at 100%, as if the radiator is pulling heat. 

Is the machine on? You said there was nothing wrong with the pump so I didn’t go there.  One of the ways to see if a pump is not working is if there is a temperature differential between the two hoses.  That’s a cpu thing though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is the machine on? You said there was nothing wrong with the pump so I didn’t go there.  One of the ways to see if a pump is not working is if there is a temperature differential between the two hoses.  That’s a cpu thing though.

The machine turns on and the GPU boots up. I can look at the temp readings using GPU-Z but the hoses on the radiator were room temp and there weren’t any vibrations/movement on the hose or the radiator aside from the fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pluggedvize said:

The machine turns on and the GPU boots up. I can look at the temp readings using GPU-Z but the hoses on the radiator were room temp and there weren’t any vibrations/movement on the hose or the radiator aside from the fans.

The move would be to let it go for a while. If the machine has been off for a long time and then just started up the water wouldn’t be hot yet if the pump was working.  If the temps are that high though already it could be a thing.  How is the pump powered?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The move would be to let it go for a while. If the machine has been off for a long time and then just started up the water wouldn’t be hot yet if the pump was working.  If the temps are that high though already it could be a thing.  How is the pump powered?

I got an email back from customer service that said to gently shake the radiator for about 30 seconds, plug the GPU in, then let it run for about 15 minutes. As of right now, nothing's changed. I figured I'd post up those little troubleshooting bits in case someone else just has air in the system that's giving it an issue. The system is all in one though, I use this thing for over 8 hours a day, and I don't turn off my pc. The GPU has an external cable for the fans, but the pump is powered by the PCIE I assume. There's no specific power cable for it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pluggedvize said:

I got an email back from customer service that said to gently shake the radiator for about 30 seconds, plug the GPU in, then let it run for about 15 minutes. As of right now, nothing's changed. I figured I'd post up those little troubleshooting bits in case someone else just has air in the system that's giving it an issue. The system is all in one though, I use this thing for over 8 hours a day, and I don't turn off my pc. The GPU has an external cable for the fans, but the pump is powered by the PCIE I assume. There's no specific power cable for it.

 

That sounds like they think you’ve got a bubble that is blocking everything.  Seems unlikely.  A bubble shouldn’t be strong enough to stop a pump, though if it’s IN the pump fan and it’s big enough I suppose it’s not outside the realm of possibility.  They deal with hundreds of instances with this model a day, and know what the inside is like, so they may know something. They are also supposed to try just about everything before a return though and avoid them if possible.  As for the cable there almost certainly is but it will be under the cooler at the very least. Could be the cable is part of the pc trace and doesn’t even look like a cable. That is unlikely though.  My thought is there is a plug or solder joint that might be faulty, was never plugged in correctly, and just recently failed or fell out.  This would mean that the pump itself isn’t actually broken.  Just it’s connection to power. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That sounds like they think you’ve got a bubble that is blocking everything.  Seems unlikely.  A bubble shouldn’t be strong enough to stop a pump, though if it’s IN the pump fan and it’s big enough I suppose it’s not outside the realm of possibility.  They deal with hundreds of instances with this model a day, and know what the inside is like, so they may know something. They are also supposed to try just about everything before a return though and avoid them if possible.  As for the cable there almost certainly is but it will be under the cooler at the very least. Could be the cable is part of the pc trace and doesn’t even look like a cable.

I don’t see a power cable for the AIO. The cable sticking out next to the tubes is for the fan. I’m hoping it’s just a bubble because if I can’t sit down and complain about all the games I play being broken, in beta, or just not fun then i’ll have to find other ways to be “productive” 😂

DC0A02CB-7100-4BFA-9FBD-AD8688283C73.jpeg

99F76BD0-3076-45DC-9DC1-CE7AFE19CD87.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it’s an electric pump so it won’t run without electricity.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well it’s an electric pump so it won’t run without electricity.

I mean, yeah, that’s definitely true. We’re not talking about a pump that needs a Toyota engine to get it going though. I don’t have familiarity with water-cooled AIO GPU’s but I’m fairly certain the PCIE outlets and the actual motherboard supply enough power to get the all in one unit powered and pumping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Pluggedvize said:

I mean, yeah, that’s definitely true. We’re not talking about a pump that needs a Toyota engine to get it going though. I don’t have familiarity with water-cooled AIO GPU’s but I’m fairly certain the PCIE outlets and the actual motherboard supply enough power to get the all in one unit powered and pumping.

That is probable.  Air cooled GPUs have fans and custom loop pumps generally run off a fan header.  My thought is there is probably an air only version of the card, and as far as the video card is concerned the pump is just another fan. So it will have a similar connection with similar issues. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×