Powered PC speakers set making white noise

iMot3k

Hi,

I'm asking this here because I'm having a hard time to find a solution to this...

I'm the proud owner of an Altec Lansing FX5051, a 5.1 powered speakers set from the mid 2000s. 

The thing is that when powered on (not with AC but after I pressed the standby button), it makes a pretty loud white noise (not a 60Hz hum, but pretty much all frequencies at the same time). 

I know that it's not my input's fault, it's exactly the same thing with no input connected, I also tried to put them in a room with no RF signals, exactly the same thing, so I'm pretty sure it's the set's fault.

I know it's a bit dated, so I thought it may be aging electronics? I also know it doesn't use any switching power supply, instead it's a good old transformer. Maybe he is the problem?

I also know that the problem occurs after the amplification part, because changing the volume on the wired command doesn't change the noise level. 

I'm honestly not sure, I want to know if some of you already had these problems with powered speaker sets in the past, and if you have any idea of where it could come from.

Thanks a lot

These might still be using the old style capacitors and in older amps (or jn your case integrated amp for power) these can go bad and cause leakage

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

These might still be using the old style capacitors and in older amps (or jn your case integrated amp for power) these can go bad and cause leakage

Thanks for your reply! Yep that what I thaught, I found some pictures of the sub opened that I'll upload.

I think changing the caps may be a good idea indeed, I think I'll try it.

Thanks again!

7d5dc773ba099b09eb92fb6c52a46967e995aca6.jpg

a3f1cdb13a88a3fe75540fc69f1e441859e61b12.jpg