Jump to content

Is this a good build

Budget (including currency): 7000usd

Country: 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: rendering, 3d software etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Its_Joshua_S/saved/#view=PPtBqs

The motherboard must have 1 thunderbolt port aswell and bluetooth + wifi, just looking for the best performance and price w the parts and stuff.

Gonna replace 3090 w 3080 and buy a 4070 in the future

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

That system can be a lot better.

 

For starters, that motherboard is grossly overpriced for what it is, if you just need Thunderbolt and Bluetooth+WiFi, you've got the X570 ProArt which is $200-300 less, you've got the X570S Aero G and B550 Vision D-P (admittedly not Thunderbolt but display passthrough) for $250 each, not to mention the ton of boards that have Thunderbolt headers so you can get an add-in card (yes it takes up an expansion slot, but something like an X570 Prime Pro or X570 Taichi has an extra expansion slot anyway, so it doesn't really matter).

 

Second, that RAM kit's XMP profile won't work. 3800MT/s is the top end of what would reasonably work for any Ryzen 5000 CPU in 1:1 mode (there are a couple chips that can do 4000, but they're very uncommon, especially on 5950Xs), and even if you did get one of the few chips that could do that, the memory controller wouldn't be able to handle that. The Ryzen memory controller really doesn't like memory ranks, with a single rank kit 4800MHz is about the limits you can achieve on a board when desyncronized, 4000MHz is what you can achieve with dual rank memory, and with effectively quad rank (what you'll have in 128GB memory kits) you'd be lucky to hit 3466MHz, likely being limited to 3200MHz. The system will POST with it and everything, it's just that you won't be able to enable XMP, so you might as well save your money and just get a 3200MHz CL16 kit instead. 

 

Finally, we are just around the corner from major CPU launches (AM5 will be announced by the end of the month), you might as well wait and get something new for the ultimate best performance, or just get what you're gonna get today but for significantly less money. 

 

There are other parts in the system that aren't very cost effective as well, like buying a 4070 right after a 3080, but those are the most important ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I would say if possible wait a month or two to see socket AM5 and Ryzen 7xxx offerings.  They should have better thunderbolt support, usb 4,  DDR5, better performance. 

 

I don't know about the motherboard, it's more targeted towards overclockers, not for workstation use. Also, not a great idea to limit your motherboard selection by insisting on having bluetooth and wifi as well. 

 

For example, you may want to check out Gigabyte B550 Vision D  or  Vision D-P   (the difference is basically D-P has 2.5gbps ethernet instead of 1 gbps) 

They're under $300 so you would save around $500 just by changing the motherboard

(edit: yeah, see ronothan's comments about not being a full thunderbolt connector though) ... not sure what you need the thunderbolts for so can't comment further)

 

Vision D :  https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10/sp#sp

Vision D-P :  https://https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-1x/sp#sp   newegg link : https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-vision-d-p/p/N82E16813145297

 

Stick to 3600 Mhz memory and CL16-CL18 - the memory controller will have a hard time doing 4 sticks with 32 GB each already, so speeds higher than 3600 are really not guaranteed. Even 3600 Mhz is hard with 128 gigs of memory. 

 

The rest... it's OK I guess.  At that amount of money, I'd go for a 4 TB nvme SSD and don't bother with two separate drives. You can get Sabrent Rocket or WD SN750 for around $650 so not much difference.

I doubt you'd need the pci-e 4.0 speeds when you have 128 GB and 24GB Vram for rendering.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That system can be a lot better.

 

For starters, that motherboard is grossly overpriced for what it is, if you just need Thunderbolt and Bluetooth+WiFi, you've got the X570 ProArt which is $200-300 less, you've got the X570S Aero G and B550 Vision D-P (admittedly not Thunderbolt but display passthrough) for $250 each, not to mention the ton of boards that have Thunderbolt headers so you can get an add-in card (yes it takes up an expansion slot, but something like an X570 Prime Pro or X570 Taichi has an extra expansion slot anyway, so it doesn't really matter).

 

Second, that RAM kit's XMP profile won't work. 3800MT/s is the top end of what would reasonably work for any Ryzen 5000 CPU in 1:1 mode (there are a couple chips that can do 4000, but they're very uncommon, especially on 5950Xs), and even if you did get one of the few chips that could do that, the memory controller wouldn't be able to handle that. The Ryzen memory controller really doesn't like memory ranks, with a single rank kit 4800MHz is about the limits you can achieve on a board when desyncronized, 4000MHz is what you can achieve with dual rank memory, and with effectively quad rank (what you'll have in 128GB memory kits) you'd be lucky to hit 3466MHz, likely being limited to 3200MHz. The system will POST with it and everything, it's just that you won't be able to enable XMP, so you might as well save your money and just get a 3200MHz CL16 kit instead. 

 

Finally, we are just around the corner from major CPU launches (AM5 will be announced by the end of the month), you might as well wait and get something new for the ultimate best performance, or just get what you're gonna get today but for significantly less money. 

 

There are other parts in the system that aren't very cost effective as well, like buying a 4070 right after a 3080, but those are the most important ones. 

X570 ProArt is better than X570S Aero G?

 

Also what CPU would you recommend for 128gb ram, or whats the most ram I can put for 5950X, or would you know if the newer AM5 Cpu could run 128gb?

 

Maybe I'll get mid tier cpu and gpus and replace when they release...

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, I would say if possible wait a month or two to see socket AM5 and Ryzen 7xxx offerings.  They should have better thunderbolt support, usb 4,  DDR5, better performance. 

 

I don't know about the motherboard, it's more targeted towards overclockers, not for workstation use. Also, not a great idea to limit your motherboard selection by insisting on having bluetooth and wifi as well. 

 

For example, you may want to check out Gigabyte B550 Vision D  or  Vision D-P   (the difference is basically D-P has 2.5gbps ethernet instead of 1 gbps) 

They're under $300 so you would save around $500 just by changing the motherboard

(edit: yeah, see ronothan's comments about not being a full thunderbolt connector though) ... not sure what you need the thunderbolts for so can't comment further)

 

Vision D :  https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10/sp#sp

Vision D-P :  https://https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-1x/sp#sp   newegg link : https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-vision-d-p/p/N82E16813145297

 

Stick to 3600 Mhz memory and CL16-CL18 - the memory controller will have a hard time doing 4 sticks with 32 GB each already, so speeds higher than 3600 are really not guaranteed. Even 3600 Mhz is hard with 128 gigs of memory. 

 

The rest... it's OK I guess.  At that amount of money, I'd go for a 4 TB nvme SSD and don't bother with two separate drives. You can get Sabrent Rocket or WD SN750 for around $650 so not much difference.

I doubt you'd need the pci-e 4.0 speeds when you have 128 GB and 24GB Vram for rendering.

 

 

 

If i were to wait for new cpu / gpu what memory should I get and what cpu / gpu for meantime

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That system can be a lot better.

 

For starters, that motherboard is grossly overpriced for what it is, if you just need Thunderbolt and Bluetooth+WiFi, you've got the X570 ProArt which is $200-300 less, you've got the X570S Aero G and B550 Vision D-P (admittedly not Thunderbolt but display passthrough) for $250 each, not to mention the ton of boards that have Thunderbolt headers so you can get an add-in card (yes it takes up an expansion slot, but something like an X570 Prime Pro or X570 Taichi has an extra expansion slot anyway, so it doesn't really matter).

 

Second, that RAM kit's XMP profile won't work. 3800MT/s is the top end of what would reasonably work for any Ryzen 5000 CPU in 1:1 mode (there are a couple chips that can do 4000, but they're very uncommon, especially on 5950Xs), and even if you did get one of the few chips that could do that, the memory controller wouldn't be able to handle that. The Ryzen memory controller really doesn't like memory ranks, with a single rank kit 4800MHz is about the limits you can achieve on a board when desyncronized, 4000MHz is what you can achieve with dual rank memory, and with effectively quad rank (what you'll have in 128GB memory kits) you'd be lucky to hit 3466MHz, likely being limited to 3200MHz. The system will POST with it and everything, it's just that you won't be able to enable XMP, so you might as well save your money and just get a 3200MHz CL16 kit instead. 

 

Finally, we are just around the corner from major CPU launches (AM5 will be announced by the end of the month), you might as well wait and get something new for the ultimate best performance, or just get what you're gonna get today but for significantly less money. 

 

There are other parts in the system that aren't very cost effective as well, like buying a 4070 right after a 3080, but those are the most important ones. 

 

30 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No, I would say if possible wait a month or two to see socket AM5 and Ryzen 7xxx offerings.  They should have better thunderbolt support, usb 4,  DDR5, better performance. 

 

I don't know about the motherboard, it's more targeted towards overclockers, not for workstation use. Also, not a great idea to limit your motherboard selection by insisting on having bluetooth and wifi as well. 

 

For example, you may want to check out Gigabyte B550 Vision D  or  Vision D-P   (the difference is basically D-P has 2.5gbps ethernet instead of 1 gbps) 

They're under $300 so you would save around $500 just by changing the motherboard

(edit: yeah, see ronothan's comments about not being a full thunderbolt connector though) ... not sure what you need the thunderbolts for so can't comment further)

 

Vision D :  https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-rev-10/sp#sp

Vision D-P :  https://https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-VISION-D-P-rev-1x/sp#sp   newegg link : https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-b550-vision-d-p/p/N82E16813145297

 

Stick to 3600 Mhz memory and CL16-CL18 - the memory controller will have a hard time doing 4 sticks with 32 GB each already, so speeds higher than 3600 are really not guaranteed. Even 3600 Mhz is hard with 128 gigs of memory. 

 

The rest... it's OK I guess.  At that amount of money, I'd go for a 4 TB nvme SSD and don't bother with two separate drives. You can get Sabrent Rocket or WD SN750 for around $650 so not much difference.

I doubt you'd need the pci-e 4.0 speeds when you have 128 GB and 24GB Vram for rendering.

 

 

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Its_Joshua_S/saved/2BPDjX

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

If i were to wait for new cpu / gpu what memory should I get and what cpu / gpu for meantime

So you want to wait for new parts to come out or you want to buy now? When people wait for something they don't immediately buy a short term brand new part that they'll replace within a week.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 2700X - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3200MHz 16GB Dominator Platinum - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 4TB HDD - XFX 5600XT - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - AOC E2460SH 24.0 Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - HyperX Cloud - Mackie CR5X's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

Gonna replace 3090 w 3080 and buy a 4070 in the future

Why? Its hardly an upgrade?

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

Also what CPU would you recommend for 128gb ram, or whats the most ram I can put for 5950X, or would you know if the newer AM5 Cpu could run 128gb?

The 5950X would be fine with 128GB of RAM, I'm just saying fast RAM really isn't something that you can expect to work with it, or really any CPU for that matter. If you actually need that capacity, usually the priority would be more on stability than on raw memory bandwidth, and a 3200MHz CL16 kit is far from slow. An X299 or Threadripper system might be able to manage to run 4000MHz on 128GB of RAM, but you would be pushing against the limits of the memory controller when doing so, and the loss in CPU performance over the 5950X (excluding Threadripper Pro 5000, but that's a whole other league of system and cost) isn't worth a couple ticks faster memory speed. 

 

5 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

X570 ProArt is better than X570S Aero G?

The ProArt has true onboard thunderbolt, the Aero G has DP injection for its Type C ports (poor man's Thunderbolt if you will). For the most part, the Aero G will do what you need if you want Thunderbolt support, but if you need true Thunderbolt bandwidth (don't know many who do though on PC) you need to be looking at either getting an expansion card for a board with a Thunderbolt header or getting the ProArt. 

 

And yes the ProArt is technically better than the Aero G, though it's also over double the price, and for the most part the board I'd actually want to use would be the B550 Vision D-P. 

 

12 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

Maybe I'll get mid tier cpu and gpus and replace when they release...

Or you can just wait a month or two and get the new stuff then. Unless you absolutely need a system today, you really won't be waiting long for new stuff to release. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 5950X would be fine with 128GB of RAM, I'm just saying fast RAM really isn't something that you can expect to work with it, or really any CPU for that matter. If you actually need that capacity, usually the priority would be more on stability than on raw memory bandwidth, and a 3200MHz CL16 kit is far from slow. An X299 or Threadripper system might be able to manage to run 4000MHz on 128GB of RAM, but you would be pushing against the limits of the memory controller when doing so, and the loss in CPU performance over the 5950X (excluding Threadripper Pro 5000, but that's a whole other league of system and cost) isn't worth a couple ticks faster memory speed. 

 

The ProArt has true onboard thunderbolt, the Aero G has DP injection for its Type C ports (poor man's Thunderbolt if you will). For the most part, the Aero G will do what you need if you want Thunderbolt support, but if you need true Thunderbolt bandwidth (don't know many who do though on PC) you need to be looking at either getting an expansion card for a board with a Thunderbolt header or getting the ProArt. 

 

And yes the ProArt is technically better than the Aero G, though it's also over double the price, and for the most part the board I'd actually want to use would be the B550 Vision D-P. 

 

Or you can just wait a month or two and get the new stuff then. Unless you absolutely need a system today, you really won't be waiting long for new stuff to release. 

I'll get a 5950x w Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory memory then and proart motherboard.

 

 

 

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5950x Supports 3200 MHz of ram, not 4000 MHz.

The motherboard may support 4000 MHz, but 5950x does not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ET_Explorer said:

5950x Supports 3200 MHz of ram, not 4000 MHz.

The motherboard may support 4000 MHz, but 5950x does not.

What cpu do you recommend or ram / good pairing with both ram and cpu

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

I'll get a 5950x w Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory memory then and proart motherboard.

 

 

 

Pretty sure all of my posts were trying to talk you out of doing all of those things.

 

As I said in my first post, that memory kit is a waste of money and will not work at its rated XMP settings. 4000MHz wouldn't likely work in the optimal performance mode if this were a 2x8GB kit anyway, and 128GB of RAM is just putting so much stress on the memory controller. Just get a 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 kit instead, anything above that is very hit or miss for whether it would work, and it should save you quite a bit of money as well. 

 

That motherboard, while less overpriced than the Crosshair VIII Extreme, is still ridiculously expensive for what you're getting. A Thunderbolt 3 add in card and an X570 Taichi would be half the cost and leave you with more expansion options overall. 

 

For the CPU, we are less than a month away from the announcement of next gen hardware. Prices on the 5950X and AM4 motherboards will be slashed right after that, so you'd either save a couple hundred dollars doing that, or get much faster hardware for the same price (Thunderbolt is a lot more common on AM5 boards anyway). If you absolutely, positively need a system today, then fine, get the 5950X, but if you can stand to wait just a little bit, do that and get next gen stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Pretty sure all of my posts were trying to talk you out of doing all of those things.

 

As I said in my first post, that memory kit is a waste of money and will not work at its rated XMP settings. 4000MHz wouldn't likely work in the optimal performance mode if this were a 2x8GB kit anyway, and 128GB of RAM is just putting so much stress on the memory controller. Just get a 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 kit instead, anything above that is very hit or miss for whether it would work, and it should save you quite a bit of money as well. 

 

That motherboard, while less overpriced than the Crosshair VIII Extreme, is still ridiculously expensive for what you're getting. A Thunderbolt 3 add in card and an X570 Taichi would be half the cost and leave you with more expansion options overall. 

 

For the CPU, we are less than a month away from the announcement of next gen hardware. Prices on the 5950X and AM4 motherboards will be slashed right after that, so you'd either save a couple hundred dollars doing that, or get much faster hardware for the same price (Thunderbolt is a lot more common on AM5 boards anyway). If you absolutely, positively need a system today, then fine, get the 5950X, but if you can stand to wait just a little bit, do that and get next gen stuff.  

If i didnt need thunderbolt and just needed wifi and bluetooth what ram, cpu and motherboard would you recommend

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

If i didnt need thunderbolt and just needed wifi and bluetooth what ram, cpu and motherboard would you recommend

If you just needed Bluetooth and WiFi and need to buy today, B550 Taichi, 5950X, and whatever the cheapest 4x32GB 3200MHz CL16 kit is.  

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HYLbyK

 

If you don't need to buy today, do not buy today. We are very close to the launch of next gen hardware that it does not make sense to be buying current gen hardware unless absolutely necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you just needed Bluetooth and WiFi and need to buy today, B550 Taichi, 5950X, and whatever the cheapest 4x32GB 3200MHz CL16 kit is.  

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HYLbyK

 

If you don't need to buy today, do not buy today. We are very close to the launch of next gen hardware that it does not make sense to be buying current gen hardware unless absolutely necessary. 

Thanks for your help man, I'll use build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Its_Joshua_S/saved/2BPDjX with the parts you suggested.

I'll most likely resell the pc / roll over some parts and purchase the new gpu / cpus, got a mate who can take it off my hands anyways since my current pc is fucking up

and I just really need a temp solution this week for work (currently using a less fucked up pc that I have as a backup of sorts)

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×