Cleaned Microsoft keyboard, certain keys have lubricant on them - what should be used?

Delicieuxz

I removed all the keys off an old Microsoft media keyboard, to clean them by letting them sit in a tub of water and soap for a bit, and then rinsing them off. The larger keys (space, shift, backspace, enter, etc) have a metal bar under them, with some lubricant on the hinges for the metal bar. I think the lubricant is to keep the keys quieter, as they move pretty freely on their own.

After washing the keys in water and soap, I've probably removed some of the lubricant. Anyone know what should be used to apply a bit more?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

i believe silicon grease is okay to use, I've used lithium grease in the past to get rid of the squeaking sound with no issues though.

I kept the lubricant off mine (MS Natural Ergonomic 4000) without issue but if you must lube @bmx6454's suggestions should work.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I tried white lithium grease on a key. It has a much higher viscosity than whatever is originally on the keys. I don't think it will have the same effect of muting keypresses.

And then I read that lithium grease accelerates the decaying of plastics in general, and shouldn't be used on plastics. So, I've now wiped it off. I think some types of plastic are OK with lithium grease, but I don't know what kind of plastic my keyboard is made out of.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987