Tablet/phone with external monitor/TV

Garax

Hi, why is it that android (iOS too?) tablets and phones doesn't support extended display but only mirroring? Is it something with native resolution of those devices or is it just not desirable for manufacturers? It would be nice to have the option just hook my tablet/phone to my TV via HDMI and watch movies/YT or play some games with mouse+keyboard or gamepad without those black bars in native resolution. I know that all of those things can be done with lot of different devices or smart TV, but i just want to know, why this is not an option.

iPad OS 16 is actually adding a feature called Stage Manager that gives you a window based user interface that does support an extended display. This feature will only available for M1 based iPads however. 
https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-16-preview/

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Some high-end Android phones like the Moto Razr Maxx (IIRC) used to have HDMI outs. 

The market decided that having a super slim and light device was more important, or if you're cynical the phone manufacturers decided having a super slim and light device made a better marketing talking point. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

47 minutes ago, Garax said:

Hi, why is it that android (iOS too?) tablets and phones doesn't support extended display but only mirroring? Is it something with native resolution of those devices or is it just not desirable for manufacturers? It would be nice to have the option just hook my tablet/phone to my TV via HDMI and watch movies/YT or play some games with mouse+keyboard or gamepad without those black bars in native resolution. I know that all of those things can be done with lot of different devices or smart TV, but i just want to know, why this is not an option.

Like Dr. Mac said — you'll have to get an iPad Air or iPad Pro if you want an extended display on a mobile tablet.

As for why? Most likely, it's just that the memory and graphics demands are high enough that mobile tablets would have struggled until recently. And even then, some might. 8GB of RAM on an iPad is fine for that sort of task; 8GB on an Android tablet (like the Galaxy Tab S8) would be iffy.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPad OS 16 is actually adding a feature called Stage Manager that gives you a window based user interface that does support an extended display. This feature will only available for M1 based iPads however. 
https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-16-preview/

Thank you! I might be tempted in the future, their performance is unchallenge and now this... Good job Apple, i wouldn't have said few years ago that i'll even consider buying anything from them, but those iPads are more tempting every year, ngl

23 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Like Dr. Mac said — you'll have to get an iPad Air or iPad Pro if you want an extended display on a mobile tablet.

As for why? Most likely, it's just that the memory and graphics demands are high enough that mobile tablets would have struggled until recently. And even then, some might. 8GB of RAM on an iPad is fine for that sort of task; 8GB on an Android tablet (like the Galaxy Tab S8) would be iffy.

Good to know, i actually didn't consider that nowadays tablets with 6/8GB RAM and Snapdragons 860/870 would've struggled with this task, but as the performance is rising every year, i'll hope that will change and it will become common feature