PC has power, but won’t boot

J3ngy

Hi,

This is my first LTT post. I am near my wits end with this computer.

Specs:

NCASE M1

Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mini ITX motherboard (no debug light unfortunately so that makes this harder)

Corsair H100i AIO Cooler 

Nvidia RTX 3080 FE

Corsair SFX750 Platinum

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB Ram 3200 2x8gb

Samsung 860 EVO (or QVO I can’t remember)

WD Black SN750 1tb NVME SSD

Problem:

I just moved across the country (by car) and took my SFF pc with me in it’s Pelican case. I really don’t think it was hit or bumped by anything substantial, but as soon as I set it up in my new home the pc would not boot. This has happened before. I began taking apart the computer to see what the issue was. I know the computer is receiving power because my microphone light is on and I can charge my phone. I unplugged the power switch cable from the motherboard and tried to jump start the computer- didn’t work. (This has happened before and was magically fixed somehow- same problem and same troubleshooting steps and the pc randomly turned on minutes after I had tried to jump it while the power switch cable was unplugged.) This was after a motherboard RMA to which Gigabyte said nothing was wrong with the board and sent the same one back to me. Next, I took out the GPU and put in one stick of spare ram and plugged the power switch back in. It started working somehow. 

I put everything back together (with the old RAM) not knowing what exactly caused the problem. I was using the computer, walked out of my room for an hour while it was on, and came back to see that it was on the Lock Screen. I have sleep mode and everything like that disabled, so I think it turned off for some reason and booted back on by itself. I turned off the computer and went to sleep. This morning, the computer would not boot again. I followed the same steps as I detailed above, yet it will not boot anymore. PC is still getting power and everything is plugged in as it should be. 

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any suggestions for troubleshooting/isolating the problem? 

16 minutes ago, J3ngy said:

Hi,

This is my first LTT post. I am near my wits end with this computer.

Specs:

NCASE M1

Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mini ITX motherboard (no debug light unfortunately so that makes this harder)

Corsair H100i AIO Cooler 

Nvidia RTX 3080 FE

Corsair SFX750 Platinum

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB Ram 3200 2x8gb

Samsung 860 EVO (or QVO I can’t remember)

WD Black SN750 1tb NVME SSD

Problem:

I just moved across the country (by car) and took my SFF pc with me in it’s Pelican case. I really don’t think it was hit or bumped by anything substantial, but as soon as I set it up in my new home the pc would not boot. This has happened before. I began taking apart the computer to see what the issue was. I know the computer is receiving power because my microphone light is on and I can charge my phone. I unplugged the power switch cable from the motherboard and tried to jump start the computer- didn’t work. (This has happened before and was magically fixed somehow- same problem and same troubleshooting steps and the pc randomly turned on minutes after I had tried to jump it while the power switch cable was unplugged.) This was after a motherboard RMA to which Gigabyte said nothing was wrong with the board and sent the same one back to me. Next, I took out the GPU and put in one stick of spare ram and plugged the power switch back in. It started working somehow. 

I put everything back together (with the old RAM) not knowing what exactly caused the problem. I was using the computer, walked out of my room for an hour while it was on, and came back to see that it was on the Lock Screen. I have sleep mode and everything like that disabled, so I think it turned off for some reason and booted back on by itself. I turned off the computer and went to sleep. This morning, the computer would not boot again. I followed the same steps as I detailed above, yet it will not boot anymore. PC is still getting power and everything is plugged in as it should be. 

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any suggestions for troubleshooting/isolating the problem? 

unplug everything that you don't need to boot the system, all the drives, usb devices etc, front audio connectors you name it , only keep keyboard to get into bios, if that works then you can slowly add parts one by one till the problem starts again.

reseating your cpu might be a good idea here, i've had issues like this before and reseating the cpu magically fixed it.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

On 8/16/2022 at 10:27 AM, Wildgg said:

unplug everything that you don't need to boot the system, all the drives, usb devices etc, front audio connectors you name it , only keep keyboard to get into bios, if that works then you can slowly add parts one by one till the problem starts again.

reseating your cpu might be a good idea here, i've had issues like this before and reseating the cpu magically fixed it.

Hey thanks for the advice- it fixed the computer but only temporarily. I had the issue again and repeated troubleshooting steps and it began working again. Don’t know what to do…