Best solution to provide internet access to a home office shed

rod_55465

I'm building a home office shed in my back yard (about 100 ft away from my home with line of sight not being an issue), and I'm going to run underground power. I was thinking of running a cat ethernet cable alongside (on a separate conduit) to the new structure, but considering the cost of direct bury cable + conduit, vs a PTP network link (like the ubiquiti gigabeam or the ubiquiti nanostation). The cons of direct bury cat6 are things like water in the conduit seeping in, roots cracking the conduit (I have a few trees in the back yard) and critters chewing through it. The cons of PTP are really not that many considering the distance, so interference from things like rain and snow may not really be a huge factor. I live near washington DC so we get a couple snow storms a year but nothing too bad. I'm leaning towards one of the ubiquiti solutions, vs dealing with setting up conduits underground. even though we will already be digging a trench for the power. Are there other considerations I may be overlooking?

Powerline adapters. They used to be pretty shit back in the day, but nowadays you can get consistent, up to multigigabit, speeds on them without issue.

For best performance, plug both in on the same circuit that you're expanding to the shed.

Alternatively, MoCA exists for something more chew resistent.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

11 minutes ago, rod_55465 said:

I'm building a home office shed in my back yard (about 100 ft away from my home with line of sight not being an issue), and I'm going to run underground power. I was thinking of running a cat ethernet cable alongside (on a separate conduit) to the new structure, but considering the cost of direct bury cable + conduit, vs a PTP network link (like the ubiquiti gigabeam or the ubiquiti nanostation). The cons of direct bury cat6 are things like water in the conduit seeping in, roots cracking the conduit (I have a few trees in the back yard) and critters chewing through it. The cons of PTP are really not that many considering the distance, so interference from things like rain and snow may not really be a huge factor. I live near washington DC so we get a couple snow storms a year but nothing too bad. I'm leaning towards one of the ubiquiti solutions, vs dealing with setting up conduits underground. even though we will already be digging a trench for the power. Are there other considerations I may be overlooking?

I’d put the cable in a conduit. This way if it fails you can pull a new one thru. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

What Donut417 said.  I had a similar situation and I used direct bury cable (for extra protection against the elements) and ran it through a conduit.  I just used 1" pvc water pipe for the conduit.