Watercooling Corruption on Gigabyte WaterForce block

Hey all,

July last year I did my first watercooling build. A few weeks ago (so after 1 year of use more or less) I took it apart to clean it and noticed that the GPU cooling block looks terrible.  I also believe that it was blocking my flow (I saw that the flow had decreased which is why I decided to clean it).

My whole loop looks a bit janky now.  I'm talking to Gigabyte about what i can do with the warranty because I think this cooling block is junk now. 

Question for the forum is:

1. What went wrong?

2. Should I be worried about other parts? The rads? The pump? The CPU cooling block?  These look a bit corroded too but not at all as bad as the gpu.

Parts in my build:
1. Corsair hydro x kit: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Hardline-Reservoir-Radiator-Software/dp/B09T744P88/ref=sr_1_2?crid=UZ3UTIZTN5PS&keywords=corsair+hydro+x&qid=1660648036&sprefix=corsair+hydro%2Caps%2C304&sr=8-2

2. GPU: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080GAMINGOC-WB-10GD-rev-10#kf

And that is about it.  I used a full hydro x kit for the rads, cpu cooler, pump, lines and fittings.  The GPU is the only foreign part to the kit.

comp.jpg

20220807gpucorrosion.jpg

rad.jpeg

cpublock.jpeg

I don't know much about custom water cooling, but I doubt those parts should look that bad after only a year, especially if every part is copper and there's no aluminum in the loop.

Did you use the coolant that came with the kit?

What coolant did you use? That looks like growth rather than galvanic corotion to me. Not enough biocide basically.

I don't belive there is any aluminium in what you have used, but if there is, that would also hurt it.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

-> Moved to Custom Loop and Exotic Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The radiator looks normal and you only have issues with the nickel plating. Would also be interested to hear what coolant you were using.

yer gigabyte 3080 non-extreme waterblock is alu, likely galvanic corrosion happening

there's lots of ppl complain on reddit r/watercooling on non-extreme gigabyte waterblock

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

1 hour ago, fonzz1e said:

yer gigabyte 3080 non-extreme waterblock is alu, likely galvanic corrosion happening

there's lots of ppl complain on reddit r/watercooling on non-extreme gigabyte waterblock

You've got to be kidding! I looked up the page for the (non extreme) 3080 Waterforce and nowhere does it state what the block material is. The pages for Extreme and non-Extreme simply state "WATERFORCE Water Block cooling system" which doesn't help at all. Most people would make the assumption that it would be nickel/copper, not aluminum IMO.

don't know where you where reading.. under spec's last line Notes it says "Please use non-corrosive and aluminum compatible coolant."

guess. that's what happens when you mix copper and alu... i would swap the radiators.. cheapest option.. 

don't forget aluminium friendly cooling liquid.. 

wow, did not expect that from Gigabyte, and also surprised by the particularly poor labelling. Having said that I would have thought a decent modern generation coolant could keep up with this mix, so  nonetheless, would be interested to see what coolant (if any) was used. 

dam a custom 3080 with aluminum block...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

21 hours ago, Blai5e said:

You've got to be kidding! I looked up the page for the (non extreme) 3080 Waterforce and nowhere does it state what the block material is. The pages for Extreme and non-Extreme simply state "WATERFORCE Water Block cooling system" which doesn't help at all. Most people would make the assumption that it would be nickel/copper, not aluminum IMO.

have a quick look at reddit r/watercooling 🙃

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

I believe that's the nickel plated aluminum block. Nickel plating fails and well...this is what you get.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST