Help me check for any incompatibilities for this build.

Hello, first I’ll try to give some background info so you guys could better understand my dilemma so please bare with me. I am trying to upgrade my 8700k to an i9 12900k, which means I’ll have to replace the following:

1-my case (since it’s an atx case that doesn’t have space for a 360mm radiator and only has a bunch of 200mm fan slots besides the 140mm aio slot In the back)
2-my z370 aorus gaming 7 motherboard
3-ram (for ddr5)
4- aio ( my 140mm Corsair aio is getting old and I have a feeling it can’t support a new i9. It also doesn’t support lga 1700 socket).

I’ve looked around to see which z690 board is the best for this cpu and a few sources mentioned Aorus master z690 (an Eatx board that won’t fit my atx case and even if it did, it wouldn't fit a bigger AIO which I will need for an i9) but I’m planning to get it if it is indeed one of the best z690 boards. The motherboard is also bundled with DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 5200MHz memory, which i'll also be getting if I go with this board. Next I looked for an aio that supports lga 1700 out of the box and found Corsair icue h150i elite (i've always used Corsair for cooling and don't plan on experimenting with any other brand). My biggest problem now is finding a case that fits everything and comes with at least 3 fans . My msi gaming z 3080 is around 323mm long so I have to keep that in mind when picking a case too. I also have a Corsair hx 1200w psu that I have to make sure that it also fits whatever case I go with. Here are some of the cases I looked at
1- asus rog strix Helios gx601 rgb mid tower case
2- asus tuf gaming GT501 white mid tower case (I’m leaning more towards this one)
(I would like a full tower case instead but couldnt find any full tower Eatx cases for some reason)

Please tell me if you see any incompatibilities with anything, not just the case. Any other advice including case suggestions are also appreciated. Thank you

im not much help with compatability but i would recommend the corsair 5000X or 5000D airflow, the 5000X looks miles better but the airflow is a bit better for temps. the airflow comes with 2 fans and the X comes with 3, so you would need to spend a bit more on fans with the airflow model, plus the airfow doesnt come with RGB if thats your thing.

23 minutes ago, iGPR3 said:

im not much help with compatability but i would recommend the corsair 5000X or 5000D airflow, the 5000X looks miles better but the airflow is a bit better for temps. the airflow comes with 2 fans and the X comes with 3, so you would need to spend a bit more on fans with the airflow model, plus the airfow doesnt come with RGB if thats your thing.

Thanks for the recommedation, both cases look great but it says they're ATX cases, which means i'll have to find another board besides the Eatx  Aorus master motherboard. Some review on the store page for the 5000X said that their Eatx fit perfectly though so i'm kinda confused...The only other board I know is a good ATX z690 board is ASUS Maximus hero, but it apparently had this manufacturing issue where some poscap near the far right dimm slot causes it to catch fire so i'm not going to risk getting that one...its also expensive as hell.

Also how about the Corsair Icue 5000T RGB mid tower? its a fair bit more expensive and I'm not sure why but do all of these cases actually fit an EATX mobo? some people in the store pages for the 5000X and the 5000T ask if the cases fit an EATX mobo and people say yes it can despite it saying that both are ATX cases under specifications.

What are you doing with your rig ? A 12900K is overkill and hard to cool for close to no gain in gaming vs say a 12600K...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, Ashino said:

Thanks for the recommedation, both cases look great but it says they're ATX cases, which means i'll have to find another board besides the Eatx  Aorus master motherboard. Some review on the store page for the 5000X said that their Eatx fit perfectly though so i'm kinda confused...The only other board I know is a good ATX z690 board is ASUS Maximus hero, but it apparently had this manufacturing issue where some poscap near the far right dimm slot causes it to catch fire so i'm not going to risk getting that one...its also expensive as hell.

Also how about the Corsair Icue 5000T RGB mid tower? its a fair bit more expensive and I'm not sure why but do all of these cases actually fit an EATX mobo? some people in the store pages for the 5000X and the 5000T ask if the cases fit an EATX mobo and people say yes it can despite it saying that both are ATX cases under specifications.

oh shoot i didnt realise your motherboards form factor, just ignore me lmao! the 5000X might fit an EATX board but if other people say it can then im not sure why corsair dont say so. its a pretty roomy case anyways so i wouldnt be surprised if it can fit your mobo even if corsair doesnt mention it. i would certainly look into it if i were you, its a really cool case.

You're going to get a lot of comments saying the 12900K is overkill, and they will most likely be right. A 12700K is going to be more than sufficient for gaming and productivity, and will be WAY easier to cool. Your case compatibility will be far more favorable if you stick with a standard ATX mobo. These would be my recommendations:

1. The Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO is DDR5 and recommended by GamersNexus. And it's standard ATX
  2. 12600K if only gaming, and the 12700K if content creating as well
  3. The Corsair 4000D Airflow is a VERY solid case. Pretty much no compatibility issues if you get these parts
  4. Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO. Another GamersNexus top rated AIO
  5. I'm not very knowledgeable with DDR5, but using PCPartPicker to choose something with a low CAS that's cost effective is easy enough. G.Skill Ripjaws S5 2x16GB, 5600Mhz, 30 CAS latency.

Here is a PCPartPicker list for everything.

12 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What are you doing with your rig ? A 12900K is overkill and hard to cool for close to no gain in gaming vs say a 12600K...

I was initially going to get an i7 12700k, but since i honestly hate having to upgrade my cpu (because of the fact that you typically have to replace the board too when you upgrade like I am now)  I wanted to make sure that I don't have to replace my cpu again for at least 4-5 years so i'm trying to go for the best I can currently get. 

Just now, Ashino said:

I was initially going to get an i7 12700k, but since i honestly hate having to upgrade my cpu (because of the fact that you typically have to replace the board too when you upgrade like I am now)  I wanted to make sure that I don't have to replace my cpu again for at least 4-5 years so i'm trying to go for the best I can currently get. 

If upgrading is a concern, it might be worth it to wait for AM5 on AMD. AMD has a MUCH better track record for supporting sockets for multiple years. You could wait until the Ryzen 7000 series launches in early September. If you go Intel now, you'll have to live with a brand that will most likely stop supporting the socket in only 2 or 3 years.

23 minutes ago, KingPizza said:

You're going to get a lot of comments saying the 12900K is overkill, and they will most likely be right. A 12700K is going to be more than sufficient for gaming and productivity, and will be WAY easier to cool. Your case compatibility will be far more favorable if you stick with a standard ATX mobo. These would be my recommendations:

1. The Gigabyte Z690 AORUS PRO is DDR5 and recommended by GamersNexus. And it's standard ATX
  2. 12600K if only gaming, and the 12700K if content creating as well
  3. The Corsair 4000D Airflow is a VERY solid case. Pretty much no compatibility issues if you get these parts
  4. Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO. Another GamersNexus top rated AIO
  5. I'm not very knowledgeable with DDR5, but using PCPartPicker to choose something with a low CAS that's cost effective is easy enough. G.Skill Ripjaws S5 2x16GB, 5600Mhz, 30 CAS latency.

Here is a PCPartPicker list for everything.

hmm sounds good but is the Z690 Aorus pro a high end board or mid tier? sorry I don't know a whole lot about z690 boards.

I really like the Corsair Icue 5000T, would that case fit the Corsair H150i? 

Should I go for this bundle? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1QJQ4XH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 

or should I get a different brand for the DDR5 ram?

I think Ill go with a 12700k then like you said. I've never owned an i9 so i don't know how hot it runs and if an h150i can take care of it.

26 minutes ago, Ashino said:

hmm sounds good but is the Z690 Aorus pro a high end board or mid tier? sorry I don't know a whole lot about z690 boards.

That case would fit that cooler, yes, but it's a $400 case. That is extremely expensive. It's up to you if you're willing to pay that, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. As for the Mobo, it's more mid-tier than high end, but it's very well constructed and will give you pretty much all the features you'll actually use without the cost of the fancy extras that more expensive boards have.

Here is the bottom line: The Corsair iCue 5000T will fit the H150i and the Aorus Master z690 just fine. But these 3 parts alone are over $1000. Add in the cost of the 12900K and you're on your way to a cheap used car.

All of these parts will be compatible, so feel free to mix and match if you want. The choice is yours.

Edit: Commenting on the edits you made to your previous post. A 12900K will be difficult to cool for even the beefiest AIO on the market. It's dangerously close to custom loop territory. As for that mobo/RAM bundle, I would recommend buying them separate. You always want to control exactly what you're buying.

I will also reiterate the possibility of waiting for AMD's Ryzen 7000. A 7800x or 7900x CPU, 32GB DDR5, and an AM5 X670 mobo will easily give you 4-5 years of top tier gaming before you MIGHT notice age, and I would put money on the AM5 socket being compatible with future AMD CPU's for at least 6 years (as AM4 has lasted about that long now).

33 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Should I go for this bundle? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1QJQ4XH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 

or should I get a different brand for the DDR5 ram?

I think Ill go with a 12700k then like you said. I've never owned an i9 so i don't know how hot it runs and if an h150i can take care of it.

Aorus Pro boards are kinda "hi mid range", serviceable and good VRM but no fancy stuff like debug codes etc

The deal with the RAM doesn't seem good, it's 5200CL40 RAM for $250 whereas you can get some 5600CL32 for $186!!

(here https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zQ4Ycf/teamgroup-t-force-vulcan-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-5600-cl32-memory-flrd532g5600hc32dc01)

And what's the deal with the Corsair H150i ? It's an expensive mediocre AIO...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, iGPR3 said:

corsair 5000X

Okay so i'm basically changing all the parts I initially picked except for one thing. Here is what i'm going with...

i7 12700k (as everyone suggested)

z690 Aorus pro (as kingpizza suggested)

corsair 5000X (as iGPR3 suggested, I really like the way this case looks and much cheaper)

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 2x16GB, 5600Mhz (as kingpizza suggested)

Corsair Icue H150i just because I never bought an AIO from any manufacturer besides Corsair and not willing to test out other manufactures especially ones that I never heard of. 

Overall, the price seems a little under a used car so I'm fine with that lol

1 minute ago, Ashino said:

Okay so i'm basically changing all the parts I initially picked except for one thing. Here is what i'm going with

corsair 5000X (as iGPR3 suggested, I really like the way this case looks and much cheaper)

Corsair Icue H150i just because I never bought an AIO from any manufacturer besides Corsair and not willing to test out other manufactures especially ones that I never heard of. 

thats a fantastic list, hope you enjoy your build!

1 minute ago, iGPR3 said:

thats a fantastic list, hope you enjoy your build!

Thanks man, thank you all for the suggestions guys! 

Sorry guys but I have to ask 1 more question, I just saw this video from Jays2cents describing how there is a problem with z690 boards where they will boot loop if you fill all DIMM slots with high ram speeds around the 6000mhz range and above with XMP enabled. Can you guys help me find CAS 30 ram thats around 5200mhz instead of the 5600mhz rip jaws just to stay on the safe side? 

Also does it matter if this ram isn't on the list of supported memory for the mobo? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x/support#support-memsup   The memory model for the Gskill ripjaws i was going to get is F5-5600J3036D16GA2-RS5W

8 hours ago, Ashino said:

Okay so i'm basically changing all the parts I initially picked except for one thing. Here is what i'm going with...

Overall, the price seems a little under a used car so I'm fine with that lol

This is a much better build. The 5000X is a lot more reasonable and I think you'll be happy sticking with a smaller, and more consistent, form factor. eATX can get confusing because there is no standard size between manufacturers. The Corsair H150i is a fine AIO, and you'll probably be just fine using it, but I still want to try to convince you there are better alternatives. For any given PC hardware category, there will always be a handful of truly trusted manufacturers. For RAM, that's G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, and Crucial. For CPU coolers/AIOs, that list includes NZXT, Corsair, Noctua, Be Quiet, Arctic, and Cooler Master, with a few others brands following close behind. I don't claim to know a ton about EVERYTHING in a PC, but CPU cooling is something I've done LOTS of research on.

I still recommend either the Liquid Freezer II 280mm, or 360mm. Here are some reviews to help convince you. Again, you'll probably be fine getting the H150i, and I don't mean to be an annoying broken record on this matter, so this will be the last time I'll mention it.

3 hours ago, Ashino said:

Sorry guys but I have to ask 1 more question, I just saw this video from Jays2cents describing how there is a problem with z690 boards where they will boot loop if you fill all DIMM slots with high ram speeds around the 6000mhz range and above with XMP enabled. Can you guys help me find CAS 30 ram thats around 5200mhz instead of the 5600mhz rip jaws just to stay on the safe side? 

Also does it matter if this ram isn't on the list of supported memory for the mobo? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x/support#support-memsup   The memory model for the Gskill ripjaws i was going to get is F5-5600J3036D16GA2-RS5W

The kit that I linked should still work fine. It's only 2 DIMMs and runs slower than 6000MHz.

If you still want to go with something slower then that's fine. Here is a kit: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/z3pzK8/gskill-ripjaws-s5-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-5200-cl28-memory-f5-5200j2834f16gx2-rs5k

14 hours ago, KingPizza said:

This is a much better build. The 5000X is a lot more reasonable and I think you'll be happy sticking with a smaller, and more consistent, form factor. eATX can get confusing because there is no standard size between manufacturers. The Corsair H150i is a fine AIO, and you'll probably be just fine using it, but I still want to try to convince you there are better alternatives. For any given PC hardware category, there will always be a handful of truly trusted manufacturers. For RAM, that's G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, and Crucial. For CPU coolers/AIOs, that list includes NZXT, Corsair, Noctua, Be Quiet, Arctic, and Cooler Master, with a few others brands following close behind. I don't claim to know a ton about EVERYTHING in a PC, but CPU cooling is something I've done LOTS of research on.

I still recommend either the Liquid Freezer II 280mm, or 360mm. Here are some reviews to help convince you. Again, you'll probably be fine getting the H150i, and I don't mean to be an annoying broken record on this matter, so this will be the last time I'll mention it.

ok I think i'm sold if all you really have to do is plug in a pwm fan header and RGB. That is leaps and miles less work to do compared to what you have to do to install an H150i.

this is it, right?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-RGB-Multi-Compatible/dp/B08WRWNNZ9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DBACZ9HO6I76&keywords=Arctic+Liquid+Freezer-II+360+A-RGB&qid=1660730162&sprefix=arctic+liquid+freezer-ii+360+a-rgb%2Caps%2C45&sr=8-3 

does it come with everything i need to install on a lga 1700 socket or do i have to buy a separate kit? also does it clearly label which standoffs are for lga 1700 and which ones aren't? 

Edit: I read some of the reviews and they say that Rev 1 doesn't come with bracket but Rev 2 does and its a hit or miss if you actually get it or not. That's kind of annoying.

I think you are seriously overcomplicatinf things here and severly overspending.

Sounds like you are going to be gaming as the primary objective.

Then a 12600k or 12900k will make no difference and either cpu will last the entire console generation since they are better and have more threads than the cpu in the the new consoles.

That and the 12900k to be cooled properly basically needs a whole custom loop.

Then there is the board situation and ddr5. You are spending 300+ on a board that isnt better than 200$ options it just has more bling.

Ddr5 is pointless with intel as its barelt faster than ddr4 if even and a ton more expensive. If you ever upgrade you'll also need to upgrade the ddr5 again since you are now getting the first gen crappy slow ddr5. See this as buying 2133mhz ddr4 memory when that came out.

If this is only for 5 years a 12600k + decent b660 board and 16-32gb of ddr4 is all you need.

Oh and fun fact a 8700k at 5ghz vs a 12900k at stock is like a 10% ish difference in performance in games and getting 5 ghz on a 8700k is almost quaranteed.

A stock and especially overclocked 8700k has no issue maxing a 3090ti. A i5 12400 or 12600k also has no problem doing that.

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I think you are seriously overcomplicatinf things here and severly overspending.

Sounds like you are going to be gaming as the primary objective.

Then a 12600k or 12900k will make no difference and either cpu will last the entire console generation since they are better and have more threads than the cpu in the the new consoles.

That and the 12900k to be cooled properly basically needs a whole custom loop.

Then there is the board situation and ddr5. You are spending 300+ on a board that isnt better than 200$ options it just has more bling.

Ddr5 is pointless with intel as its barelt faster than ddr4 if even and a ton more expensive. If you ever upgrade you'll also need to upgrade the ddr5 again since you are now getting the first gen crappy slow ddr5. See this as buying 2133mhz ddr4 memory when that came out.

If this is only for 5 years a 12600k + decent b660 board and 16-32gb of ddr4 is all you need.

Oh and fun fact a 8700k at 5ghz vs a 12900k at stock is like a 10% ish difference in performance in games and getting 5 ghz on a 8700k is almost quaranteed.

A stock and especially overclocked 8700k has no issue maxing a 3090ti. A i5 12400 or 12600k also has no problem doing that.

I've already decided not to get a 12900k or any of the parts I initially thought about in my opening post, read through the rest of the forum.

On 8/17/2022 at 2:53 AM, Ashino said:

ok I think i'm sold if all you really have to do is plug in a pwm fan header and RGB. That is leaps and miles less work to do compared to what you have to do to install an H150i.

this is it, right?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-RGB-Multi-Compatible/dp/B08WRWNNZ9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=DBACZ9HO6I76&keywords=Arctic+Liquid+Freezer-II+360+A-RGB&qid=1660730162&sprefix=arctic+liquid+freezer-ii+360+a-rgb%2Caps%2C45&sr=8-3 

does it come with everything i need to install on a lga 1700 socket or do i have to buy a separate kit? also does it clearly label which standoffs are for lga 1700 and which ones aren't? 

Edit: I read some of the reviews and they say that Rev 1 doesn't come with bracket but Rev 2 does and its a hit or miss if you actually get it or not. That's kind of annoying.

If you want the RGB version, yes, that one is correct. 12th gen Intel and LGA 1700 are new enough that pretty much any recommended cooler on the market is going to need new hardware for it. Yes, it's a gamble you'll have to take. If the version you get doesn't have it, Arctic will definitely send you one for free. The H150i is exactly the same way.