[IQ Test Card?] What's the purpose of Quadro P600? Why not 1050?

Today I found a weird card while our IT guy was playing with some old PCs. Quadro P600 has same architecture and less CUDA cores than 1050.image.thumb.jpeg.84708396aa794e6bb2bce7a16fd7cd52.jpeg

image.png.0e2200f36c7470f3de4914fef8fea9d9.png

image.png.618fcef175cae1799b2f8d04295e7703.png

Is there a question you would like to be answered?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

-Topic  locked-

This is best suited as a status update

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

So, our IT guy pulled out a weird card from a dusty PC, actually a workstation, (called ThinkStation P320, probably a pre-build PC). And I found this Quadro P600, I know that we often use Quadro cards for some sort of professional usage, graphic processing. I compare the card to gtx1050 to see the specs difference. And to my suprise, the card has same architecture, same RAM, and bits, and less CUDA cores, but costs more

In addition, this card released a year later than gtx1050. So why the heck nvidia wants to do that, and why anyone would like to buy it? What's the target market of this card?

My assumption is the good chip yield went wrong in that batch and they have to block some CUDA cores to make a low tdp product.. But why does it cost more? Does the card really has something special about itself? I did not find any dedicated accelerator in the specs. And mining fever is not a thing back in 2017. 

The PC is inside a computer lab BTW. Our floor are doing ML related stuff so I doubt it tensorflow or pytorch has relatively better performance on the card.

Here is where I got the specs https://technical.city/zh/video/GeForce-GTX-1050-vs-Quadro-P600

image.thumb.png.c40275d5fcbd5a3494975b679aa25c8f.png

image.thumb.png.cea35f5f86c67ad50acf5d714df99c43.png

image.thumb.png.ab9e8aa768aaa825dd31a24494de622b.png

Edited by spacehunter0413
Added topics

1 minute ago, spacehunter0413 said:

why anyone would like to buy it?

ECC, Quadro unwavering support bias for engineering and content creation optimization, low TDP, and "the enterprise general 0 fucks about value for money when it gives them reliability and support" cliche.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Certified/Validated drivers for use with various applications (Autocad, for example,3d rendering applications ... the old "oh no this bridge design will break because you didn't see the issue during render due to a floating point error in the video card drivers when rendering on screen" cliche , other stuff gamers don't care about.... 

No extra power requirement, which can mean packing more of these in a system or a rackable server and using them in parallel (low thickness and maybe low height video cards)

Usually Quadros are preferred when it comes to professional 2D/3D modeling programs, as they are specifically supported in these programs. Often the performance on Quadro cards is better than their GeForce counterparts in these programs, but it really depends on the situation.

This video is a couple years old, but should explain shed some light on the situation:

17 minutes ago, spacehunter0413 said:

And mining fever is not a thing back in 2017. 

Actually there was. Off the top of my head, the worst of it was from May to about December of 2017 and availability of graphics cards only became better in 2018.

The RX 480/580 was miners favorite cards, shortly followed by the GTX 1060. But all the rest of the cards - especially RX 470/570 and GTX 1070 - were bought too, as people scrambled to get cards.

Here is a video about mining in that time from LTT:

They even started out the video talking about the lack of availability.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Let's say Quadros are "professional" version GPU, much more expensive but more reliable, more efficient, better support

A P600 don't make much sense now, but look at an Quadro 4000, for $1,200 you have a much smaller and efficient card equivalent to a 3060 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Here’s a brief explanation as the good details have already been explained above by others.

Nvidia GTX/RTX:

700263E4-A066-4BE3-8111-1BA61EB1053B.thumb.webp.598e0c3968a9cc92c16ab80150f9dd63.webp

Nvidia Quadro/Tesla:

DD813250-C80A-4F12-86F5-80A6E05B7C69.thumb.jpeg.6b31a6bdcc0515259249eecb6341d4df.jpeg

Just a van all the same, you can cram 6 kids and a dog in a sprinter van, and you can also put a pallet or two of freight into a Chrysler town and country.

But these are different vans designed for different purposes, even if they’re really about the same in general concept.

Thats kinda what Quadro cards are, they’re gpus that instead of being tailored to gaming performance are instead tailored towards professional applications. The bios is different, the drivers are different, it’s clock speeds and such are different compared to its consumer equivalent.

Ever notice how something like the Quadro RTX A2000 manages to outperform the RTX 3050? Even though it’s a half height card and draws half the power? That’s down to silicon lottery a little bit but it’s also that a use case or goal is designed and in order to operate a specific way a card is built around that. It’s not “how powerful can we make this gpu we fab a million of”. Instead it’s “what’s the most optimal solution we can come up with for this product requirement”.

Beyond that as others have stated, Quadro drivers are verified for absolute compatibility and stability, a lot of professional software is verified to work 100% with Quadros, etc. For a lot of businesses big and small you’re paying more for a guarantee against having any problems. There’s no guessing if your RTX 3050 will shit the bed trying to handle some gpu accelerated rendering in Autodesk Maya, switch to the A2000 and it’s just going to work and nvidia promises it’ll work through extensive testing.

@spacehunter0413 I have merged your threads together. Please stick to a single thread for the same topic. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card