Is it possible to have my pc and laptop connected to a docking station, possibly without KVM switch?

My idea is having my keyboard and mouse connected to the docking station, so my desktop and laptop can use them when I turn either one of them on. I bought a Dell WD19 recently but just can't figure how it can work.

I am assuming:

Of course, the keyboard and mouse connects to the dock, then the dock USB-C goes to the laptop so it can charge the laptop and use everything like normally, but now the question is, what connects between the dock and the PC? How do I make it work?

I don't really need to have both of them on the same time, I just have a gaming PC and I only want to use it for games when I turn it on, most of my work like web surfing, chilling etc would be done on the laptop.

My motherboard on the PC is ROG Strix X570-I Gaming if that helps to give me advise.

The way I addressed this type of problem was with a USB switch. I did not want to use a KVM since most of them drop the refresh rate to 60Hz. The downside is that when I want to switch inputs I have to press 2 buttons instead of 1 (the USB switch and the monitor).

I have been using the Ugreen USB switch without issue (~30 CAD).

1 hour ago, jeo said:

The way I addressed this type of problem was with a USB switch. I did not want to use a KVM since most of them drop the refresh rate to 60Hz. The downside is that when I want to switch inputs I have to press 2 buttons instead of 1 (the USB switch and the monitor).

This is how I have it setup. Except I only have to press one button, for the switch. My monitor will auto-detect to correct input if one PC is turned off when other is powered on. Rarely I have the situation where I would need to use my main monitor in the middle of work day for something. I onlt need one monitor for work, so if I need to do something on PC, I can use 2nd monitor for just that.

E: Actually its 2 buttons, Mouse is wireless and uses BT with laptop, so I need to flip the switch between modes when switching.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, jeo said:

Can you explain a bit more in depth on how I can set this up? The usb switch connects to the dock and the pc? And I still plug everything on the docking station like keyboard and mouse?

can you provide me the exact model of the Ugreen USB switch?

The switch has 2 inputs, you connect 1 to your dock and the other to your desktop. The ugreen switch has 4 usb ports for peripheral, which you connect your mouse and keyboard to.

I opted for USB 2.0 since I don't need the switch to handle data transfers

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Selector-Computers-Peripheral-One-Button/dp/B01MXXQKGM/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=usb+switch&qid=1660755890&sr=8-6

7 hours ago, CYMOR said:

Can you explain a bit more in depth on how I can set this up? The usb switch connects to the dock and the pc? And I still plug everything on the docking station like keyboard and mouse?

can you provide me the exact model of the Ugreen USB switch?

You plug those things you want to be switched between two PCs to switch. Like keyboard, mouse, webcam. Then you plug switch to dock and to desktop. You have dock connected to laptop constantly, only thing you do is press button to switch which machine USB connects to.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/16/2022 at 10:25 AM, jeo said:

Yeah, when I used to have both my main PC and a folding/Plex server/other bullshit PC in my main setup, I just had a USB switch for the keyboard and mouse and manually switched the input on the monitor, because I couldn't find a KVM that met all my needs. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

That’s cool, I will try this set up as soon as possible.

thank you for the help.

Idk, I am not into switches and docking station stuffs and it is my first time using docking station too, I barely find anything about similar set up.

19 hours ago, CYMOR said:

Idk, I am not into switches and docking station stuffs and it is my first time using docking station too, I barely find anything about similar set up.

KVM would be even more of a switch. Just more cabled and bigger mess. You could use something like Synergy for keyboard and mouse. But IIRC thats subscription model for late-adopters.

Before I bought the switch, I had everything on powered USB hub and I kept switching that cable over. So much more annoying...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv