Best config with 3/4 working slots

da na
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
Just now, Mel0n. said:

it's the 2nd slot that's dead. 1, 3, 4 work. 3 and 4 are on one channel, 1 and 2 are on the other

Wait, XMP? sorry I'm a bit of a noob to memory but does that take it from 376 to 400mhz? 

Default if memory serves is 667 or 333mhz. Or 400/200mhz. Jedec speeds any ways.

1 and 3 should be the primary dual channels. So you're all good. I'd still try another cpu just to see what happens. 

Don't know how but a memory slot (closer to CPU) on my AM2 board has died, no stick works in it. There are two yellow slots (what I was using) and 2 red ones. Will it be better to put one in yellow + one in red, or both in red? (Board is GA-M51GM, Athlon 64 x2 6000+ CPU)

With one in each slot HWiNFO reads as dual channel, but only 376mhz clock, shouldn't that be closer to 800MHZ (or does hwinfo not double it for DDR and show the actual clock)? The RAM sticks are OCZ Platinum DDR2.

To clarify, channel 0 slot 1 is broken. Channel 0 slot 0 and channel 1 slot 0+1 work

Just for giggles, you could try a different cpu and see if the slot comes back to life, if you has one.

It won't matter how you install 3 sticks, that will force single channel. I do not believe AM2 does hybrid dual/single channel. So if you can get dual channel in the red slots, go that route.

400/800mhz sounds right. Hwinfo stating the actual memory frequency, not its data rate of 800mt/s.

2 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Just for giggles, you could try a different cpu and see if the slot comes back to life, if you has one.

It won't matter how you install 3 sticks, that will force single channel. I do not believe AM2 does hybrid dual/single channel. So if you can get dual channel in the red slots, go that route.

400/800mhz sounds right. Hwinfo stating the actual memory frequency, not its data rate of 800mt/s.

sorry I have 2 sticks, should clarify, wondering which slots will be "fastest"

Just now, Mel0n. said:

sorry I have 2 sticks, should clarify, wondering which slots will be "fastest"

Well the primary slot is toasted as far as we know. But it should boot up dual channel in #2 and #4 slots. Not sure if it'll do the xmp, you'll have to try it.

Just now, Guest 5150 said:

Well the primary slot is toasted as far as we know. But it should boot up dual channel in #2 and #4 slots. Not sure if it'll do the xmp, you'll have to try it.

it's the 2nd slot that's dead. 1, 3, 4 work. 3 and 4 are on one channel, 1 and 2 are on the other

Wait, XMP? sorry I'm a bit of a noob to memory but does that take it from 376 to 400mhz? 

Just now, Mel0n. said:

Default if memory serves is 667 or 333mhz. Or 400/200mhz. Jedec speeds any ways.

1 and 3 should be the primary dual channels. So you're all good. I'd still try another cpu just to see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

I’ll pop my old 3200+ back in and reseat my new cpu. So I suppose I was running it in single channel all these years lol

5 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I’ll pop my old 3200+ back in and reseat my new cpu. So I suppose I was running it in single channel all these years lol

I have no idea. But you can use cpuz to confirm.