R5 5600x/Asus B550 Orange Dram light flashing, no post

Hi. I've got a R5 5600x and a Asus Rog strix B550 gaming-f motherboard and 2x8GB Klevv Cras X RGB 3600mhz sticks of ram. It's a new build but the 5600x and the B550 are used. I built it as I've done a hundred times before and there were no issues, but when powering on I get the orange DRAM light blinking every second and the system does not post. I'm powering the build with an EVGA 750w power supply that I bought today. I've reseated all power connectors, I've taken out both ram sticks, put one stick back in, no sticks in, taken the GPU out, left the GPU in, reseated the cpu, even flashed the bios using Asus flashback, and still get the orange Dram light blinking with no post, every time, no matter what I try.

My head is saying cpu memory controller but I'm wondering if it could be the B550 as the socket tension arm felt really loose. It held the cpu in no problems though when the tension arm was locked down, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue?

Anyone have any ideas? Something I could try that I might have missed?

Appreciate any replies.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Andy-Aech said:

the socket tension arm felt really loose.

Felt loose, after you pushed it all the way down and locked the CPU in place?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Felt loose, after you pushed it all the way down and locked the CPU in place?

The tension arm doesn't feel tight, if you get what I mean? It's floppy and unlocks really easy like there's hardly any locking tension.

3 minutes ago, Andy-Aech said:

The tension arm doesn't feel tight, if you get what I mean? It's floppy and unlocks really easy like there's hardly any locking tension.

Assuming you're definitely locking the arm in place alongside the socket, you could possibly have a damaged socket. They typically have pretty strong retention force and offer a lot of resistance when locking the CPU in.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Assuming you're definitely locking the arm in place alongside the socket, you could possibly have a damaged socket. They typically have pretty strong retention force and offer a lot of resistance when locking the CPU in.

I mean, it's locking, I can't move the cpu when the arm is down and locked. But I don't need to apply much force to the arm to get it into the down and lock position if that makes sense?

5 minutes ago, Andy-Aech said:

I mean, it's locking, I can't move the cpu when the arm is down and locked. But I don't need to apply much force to the arm to get it into the down and lock position if that makes sense?

Well "much force" can mean a few things. It's not gonna take 10 pounds for the retention arn to go done necessarily, and if there's a distinct click into place with the arm, I wouldn't assume it's the problem.

Does your motherboard box say "Ryzen 5000 series ready on the box? Does the box have the BIOS version somewhere on it?

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Well "much force" can mean a few things. It's not gonna take 10 pounds for the retention arn to go done necessarily, and if there's a distinct click into place with the arm, I wouldn't assume it's the problem.

Does your motherboard box say "Ryzen 5000 series ready on the box? Does the box have the BIOS version somewhere on it?

I've updated the bios as I said in my OP. The Dram light was flashing before and after the bios update.

50 minutes ago, Andy-Aech said:

I've updated the bios as I said in my OP. The Dram light was flashing before and after the bios update.

Makes me wonder if the motherboard does not agree with the ram you've got. Are you able to borrow some?

Primary PC:

25 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Makes me wonder if the motherboard does not agree with the ram you've got. Are you able to borrow some?

Just tried 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz. Same thing. Dram light flashing, no boot. 

Just tried clearing cmos too, just in case. Same thing. Dram light flashes.

It's either the CPU or the motherboard. It's just finding out which.

It's very likely that a ram stick is not inserted correctly. 

DRAM steady, error in first 64kb of memory tested.

DRAM flashing, memory is not installed

OR the board is power cycling, so Red first real quick, then orange.

Make sure you hear a click at both ends of the memory sticks even the side that doesn't have the release lever.

3 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

It's very likely that a ram stick is not inserted correctly. 

DRAM steady, error in first 64kb of memory tested.

DRAM flashing, memory is not installed

OR the board is power cycling, so Red first real quick, then orange.

Make sure you hear a click at both ends of the memory sticks even the side that doesn't have the release lever.

Yeah this isn't my first rodeo. But thanks for replying anyhow.

1 minute ago, Andy-Aech said:

Yeah this isn't my first rodeo. But thanks for replying anyhow.

Interesting reply.

Couldn't tell because you wheren't sure if the cpu was installed correctly or not, and that is hard to fuck up. Seating memory on the other hand, even an experienced user can make that mistake.

Options - 

Don't ask for help unless you can list all that you have done and the approach taken for diagnostics and deal with people giving you ideas if there is a lack thereof. 

Sorry for my honesty, but that's what the DRAM light indicates. You either not installing the memory correctly, the board needs a bios update, the Cpu wasn't installed correctly (we know you checked it once already.....I guess) or the memory is junk or the board needs a warranty.

Either way, I'll try not to assist you in the future if I see you're in need of help.

Good Luck!! 

10 minutes ago, Guest 5150 said:

Interesting reply.

Couldn't tell because you wheren't sure if the cpu was installed correctly or not, and that is hard to fuck up. Seating memory on the other hand, even an experienced user can make that mistake.

Options - 

Don't ask for help unless you can list all that you have done and the approach taken for diagnostics and deal with people giving you ideas if there is a lack thereof. 

Sorry for my honesty, but that's what the DRAM light indicates. You either not installing the memory correctly, the board needs a bios update, the Cpu wasn't installed correctly (we know you checked it once already.....I guess) or the memory is junk or the board needs a warranty.

Either way, I'll try not to assist you in the future if I see you're in need of help.

Good Luck!! 

Well, if my reply was interesting then yours is just outright rude. Next time you feel like insulting somebody's intelligence, at least read all of their replies first, because if you had have done, you would have read that I had already reseated the RAM multiple times and even tried a different set.

But anyway, no worries. I didn't come here for a fight, I came here to see if anyone knew of a way to check whether or not I was on the right track in thinking the CPUs memory controller could be to blame or if it could be the board in some way. If you don't want to help me that's totally fine.

And the DRAM light indicates a lot more than just not getting the RAM inserted correctly. But I'm sure you knew that.

10 hours ago, Andy-Aech said:

And the DRAM light indicates a lot more than just not getting the RAM inserted correctly. But I'm sure you knew that.

Snip the rest of BS.

No, The light has only 2 indications.

Try the diagnostics speaker...... hope for beeps.

*Update*

It was the CPU. The imc was completely shot, causing the motherboard to believe there was an issue with the RAM and give me a flashing Dram led whenever I turned it on. Swapped the CPU at the retailer I bought it from, got home, installed it, fired it up, no more flashing Dram light.

Hopefully this'll help others having the same problems down the ways a bit.