"CAT 7" Wall Sockets Networking Headaches

Unkindness

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of renovating my house, so have decided I need to run Ethernet wires while the walls are being plastered. I have run "CAT 7" cables (I'm aware of the "not ratified" but don't really understand it) and would like to use the female to female wall sockets for handiness sake. Question is, (and I'm fully aware I'm going to sound stupid) can I use CAT 6/E/A connectors? I really have no idea about network systems besides plugging in things!

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

There is no RJ45 CAT7, RJ45 CAT7 cables can be whatever the hell the cable maker wants them to be and can be worse than CAT6.

Regardless, yes, you can use CAT6 gender changers.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

There is no CAT7, CAT7 cables can be whatever the hell the cable maker wants them to be and can be worse than CAT6.

Sweet! I've a feeling it's rebadged CAT 6 or 6A but it's behind a plastered wall so whatever it is, it'll have to do! Thanks for the reply!

27 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

I've a feeling it's rebadged CAT 6 or 6A

Naw. Cat7 in some cases a cheaper. I think its cabling that didnt live up to the standard of Cat6 or 6a. Remember Cat7 might be ISO certified but I lacks the TIA certification. Which all other Ethernet standards have. That doesnt mean it wont work, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didnt live up to Cat6 or Cat 6a standards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/15/2022 at 9:11 PM, Donut417 said:

Naw. Cat7 in some cases a cheaper. I think its cabling that didnt live up to the standard of Cat6 or 6a. Remember Cat7 might be ISO certified but I lacks the TIA certification. Which all other Ethernet standards have. That doesnt mean it wont work, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didnt live up to Cat6 or Cat 6a standards. 

Certainly the one cable I bought that was CAT7 refused to work faster than 5Gbit, which would seem to concur with your assessment.  I learnt my lesson and only bought CAT 6 since then which works fine, even the cheap flat ones.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 9:11 PM, Donut417 said:

On 8/15/2022 at 8:36 PM, rcmaehl said:

There is no RJ45 CAT7, RJ45 CAT7 cables can be whatever the hell the cable maker wants them to be and can be worse than CAT6.

On 8/17/2022 at 5:21 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Certainly the one cable I bought that was CAT7 refused to work faster than 5Gbit, which would seem to concur with your assessment.  I learnt my lesson and only bought CAT 6 since then which works fine, even the cheap flat ones.

I've had a break in the work on my house, so decided to check the lines. I have a 500 mbps line to my house and on my current set up (internet company supplied router/modem) I get in and round 470 on Ookla on my desk top. I plugged in my extension lines in to test with a laptop, and I am getting a similar number (450-475) after a few tests, so for what I am using my internet for, looks like I got away with "Cat 7" doing what I need. In about 10 years when 5-10 gig lines are needed, and we get them here, I might be in trouble!

Thanks for the input, guys! Will teach me to do more research next time, although I never plan on ever doing such an extensive remodel ever again!

With any luck it will at least do 2.5Gbit, so far I've found that just as tolerant as 1Gbit, I'm pushing it through some PoE splitters that were only made for 1Gbit and it works fine.  Its 5Gbit and 10Gbit where the cable quality seems to get a lot more important.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

22 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

With any luck it will at least do 2.5Gbit, so far I've found that just as tolerant as 1Gbit, I'm pushing it through some PoE splitters that were only made for 1Gbit and it works fine.  Its 5Gbit and 10Gbit where the cable quality seems to get a lot more important.

I would imagine so! Ah good old Ireland is about 100 years away from having 10 Gbit domestic lines considering the former nationally owned telecoms company can only get 6 Mbit to my house as it stands!

2 hours ago, Unkindness said:

I would imagine so! Ah good old Ireland is about 100 years away from having 10 Gbit domestic lines considering the former nationally owned telecoms company can only get 6 Mbit to my house as it stands!

Most people using 10Gbit its just to access their home NAS rather than the broadband.

Even though 10Gbit is available in various parts of England, its not generally worth the cost when plenty of the Internet wont even deliver Gigabit.  Steam is the fastest I'm aware of and caps out about 3Gbit I think.

Although the telco having a 10Gbit network does mean you're unlikely to hit contention on say a symmetrical Gigabit connection.  Its more about what they are using than what you are subscribed to.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Most people using 10Gbit its just to access their home NAS rather than the broadband.

Even though 10Gbit is available in various parts of England, its not generally worth the cost when plenty of the Internet wont even deliver Gigabit.  Steam is the fastest I'm aware of and caps out about 3Gbit I think.

Although the telco having a 10Gbit network does mean you're unlikely to hit contention on say a symmetrical Gigabit connection.  Its more about what they are using than what you are subscribed to.

I don't use a NAS so should be sweet. Here in Ireland for internet, 1gb is your limit but miracle if you'd ever see it

3 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

I don't use a NAS so should be sweet. Here in Ireland for internet, 1gb is your limit but miracle if you'd ever see it

It should become common over the next 5 years or so, assuming something is done about the complete mess with the energy market right now that is likely to leave people unable to afford the energy alone, never mind food, etc.