Is HP ENVY 14 with 11th gen i7 + RTX 3050 a good laptop?

Axerys

Hi guys,

I've been thinking of getting a new laptop. I have an opportunity of getting a HP ENVY 14 with 11th gen Core i7 CPU and RTX 3050 for a good price; however I couldn't find any reviews of it, only the version with 1650 Ti and I'm a little bit concerned about the thermals and possible thermal throttling.

I wanna ask if any of you have this laptop, and can recommend it, or if you can recommend some other laptop in that price range.

I use my laptop for programming (C++, TIA Portal), some light gaming (MC, Space Engineers), video editing in Blender, writing and editing documents (Word, Latex), and some other stuff... The ability to run a Linux (or Windows 10) VM together with 1 or 2 IDEs and Firefox with 10 - 20 tabs is mandatory.

Also, because some of the software I use does not support scaling, the display resolution can be no higher than Full HD or its equivalent.

I would like to have a 16:10 display (14 - 15.6" in size) and Thunderbolt connector. As someone coming from a ThinkPad laptop, keyboard is also a very important aspect to me.

Thank you for your advices.

The 1650ti version already overheated a lot the more powerfull 3050 one will do worse.

Battery life will also be pretty meh due to it being an 11th gen chip.

Whats the price for the envy?

At current exchange rate, around 1300 USD. With all my requirements considered, this is, on paper, the most powerful laptop I can in my country get for that money. What I am interested in is its real world performance.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:17 AM, Axerys said:

At current exchange rate, around 1300 USD. With all my requirements considered, this is, on paper, the most powerful laptop I can in my country get for that money. What I am interested in is its real world performance.

Any chance to snag or is there a market for used laptops with warranty? I'd recently gotten a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro (2560x1600 res) with 23 months (then) of Premium Care warranty left. Scored it for ~1450USD (local $ to USD). The warranty is still good, I know 'cause I called them up due to very high temps on my CPU/GPU, and they'd sent a technician over. He did not simply clear the fans (which were choked with dust, I think he believed the fans was not functioning well or damaged, so he went ahead and replaced the entire cooling assembly:

Before -

spacer.png

After -

spacer.png

Let me tell you, I was one who's never believed that gaming on laptops would be good, but I've changed my mind, the laptop handles everything I've thrown at it - Serious Sam 4, Siberian Mayhem, Metro Exodus PC Enhanced, COD MW2 Campaign Remastered - with ease. So now a believer, even bought a Keychron K2 v2 + Razer Basilisk X Hyperspead + 2 pairs of USB powered speakers so that I can game when I travel to Canada and Thailand. I simply love this new portable gaming setup, the laptop is sitting on a CoolerMaster laptop cooling pad -

spacer.png

Edit - IF you wanna enjoy gaming on a laptop, my advice is look for one with at least 16GB RAM, a decent AMD Ryzen or Intel CPU (6C/12T or 8C/16T) and an RTX 3060 or 6600M (or higher). The RX 6600M is generally faster than the mobile RTX 3050 Ti (but a fair bit slower than the RTX 3060, which competes with the RX 6700M I guess), with the latter needing DLSS to either beat it or close the gap.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2