4K OLED Laptop monitor has visible dots on the screen.

phongle123

Hi, there is an array/pattern of dots on the 4K OLED monitor screen that can faintly be seen on all colors. Easily seen on darker colors and covers the entire screen in a perfect pattern of dots. Here is a video on it. It is very hard to capture it but when I shine a light you can see what it is I'm seeing. But it only shines 1 vertical pattern at a time. In real life, I can see the entire array of dots.

Is it a touchscreen? I don't know which laptop you have specifically, but patterns like this are fairly common in touchscreen OLED laptops. Something to do with the digitizer layer for the touchscreen not quite lining up with the OLED layer and causing repeating patterns. Like a moiré pattern if you're familiar with those.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

Is it a touchscreen? I don't know which laptop you have specifically, but patterns like this are fairly common in touchscreen OLED laptops. Something to do with the digitizer layer for the touchscreen not quite lining up with the OLED layer and causing repeating patterns. Like a moiré pattern if you're familiar with those.

Hi, yes it is a touchscreen display. So, essentially if it was lined it correctly (touchscreen and digitizer) I wouldn't be able to see these dot patterns? Therefore, this is a defective display essentially?

Just now, phongle123 said:

Hi, yes it is a touchscreen display. So, essentially if it was lined it correctly (touchscreen and digitizer) I wouldn't be able to see these dot patterns? Therefore, this is a defective display essentially?

I'm not sure if it's defective or if it's a design issue. That is to say they might not be misaligned by a defect, but instead they aren't capable of being lined up to begin with. Perhaps their wires are at a different angle or they're sized differently.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Based on what was said earlier, it's probably not a defect, but simply a side-effect of how touchscreens can be constructed where the two layers are offset:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Touch-sensor-structure-In-two-layer-touch-screen-module-moire-pattern-appears-due-to-the_fig1_303822906

Touch-sensor-structure-In-two-layer-touc

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 1 year later...
On 8/15/2022 at 3:18 PM, tikker said:

Based on what was said earlier, it's probably not a defect, but simply a side-effect of how touchscreens can be constructed where the two layers are offset:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Touch-sensor-structure-In-two-layer-touch-screen-module-moire-pattern-appears-due-to-the_fig1_303822906

Touch-sensor-structure-In-two-layer-touc

If I may resurrect this as it still has relevance. Why then do only touch screen OLED laptops have this problem but not smartphones? Smartphones are all OLED touchscreen and they don't have a grainy digitizer layer? Surprised laptop manufacturers continue to make it this way, why not implement the same technology on phones. It's the sole reason I avoid OLED today and still prefer IPS because I need touch screen

8 minutes ago, Free_The_Jemhadar said:

If I may resurrect this as it still has relevance. Why then do only touch screen OLED laptops have this problem but not smartphones? Smartphones are all OLED touchscreen and they don't have a grainy digitizer layer? Surprised laptop manufacturers continue to make it this way, why not implement the same technology on phones. It's the sole reason I avoid OLED today and still prefer IPS because I need touch screen

Phones probably have to use more expensive digitisers because the screen is smaller.  Plus I think phones use more glass which would be far more risk of cracking in a laptop size.

Is it really that visible on a laptop when the screen is actually lit?  I'm curious as I'd love for my next laptop to have a touch screen OLED as I hate scrolling web pages with the touchpad (except on MacBooks as their two-finger scroll works better than any PC I've experienced).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Phones probably have to use more expensive digitisers because the screen is smaller.  Plus I think phones use more glass which would be far more risk of cracking in a laptop size.

Is it really that visible on a laptop when the screen is actually lit?  I'm curious as I'd love for my next laptop to have a touch screen OLED as I hate scrolling web pages with the touchpad (except on MacBooks as their two-finger scroll works better than any PC I've experienced).

Well I am surprised laptop manufacturers are not doing the same or figuring something out

To me it is noticeable enough that I returned my asus zenbook. Looked like an old tube monitor, I may sound dramatic but coming from a sharp 3k IPS Screen, it really did.

Professional laptop reviewers have pointed this out to, see this review https://www.ultrabookreview.com/61344-2023-asus-zenbook-14-models/comment-page-1/#comment-335666. "you’ll have to accept the graininess caused by the digitizer layer, which I find annoying while browsing and reading texts"

Heres a person complaining about it on new z13 thinkpads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/vyzgva/subtle_grain_pattern_on_z13_screen_touch/

Ive seen complaints about HP too.