Did xmp kill my i9 12900k

My i9 12900k died while I turned on xmp ..32 gig ram 5600 ddr5? Will have to check Asus z690-e mother board ...any ideas ?

When you enable xmp, the board may memory train and will take up to a couple/few minutes.

If it doesn't boot the xmp profile, on the 4th try, the board will go to safe mode.

Werecat covered the rest well, all else fails, clear cmos.

5 hours ago, WereCat said:

1.) How do you know it died?

2.) I doub't XMP can cause any harm to your CPU

3.) Have you tried to reset CMOS?

The computer wouldn't boot ...I change the cpu and everything works..and I did reset the CMOS 

23 hours ago, WereCat said:

1.) How do you know it died?

2.) I doub't XMP can cause any harm to your CPU

3.) Have you tried to reset CMOS?

Would using Asus AI overclock kill it ? 

Just now, Alex1979 said:

I used it from the bios 

10 minutes ago, Alex1979 said:

I doubt it. But it's more likely since most motherboards overvlot too much by default. But CPUs have protections built into them so they should throttle way before there is any harm caused to the CPU.

Maybe my water cooler is at fault!!! Corsair h100i RGB pro XT ?? Two 240mm fans ...??? Any input would be great..thanks 

20 minutes ago, Alex1979 said:

Maybe my water cooler is at fault!!! Corsair h100i RGB pro XT ?? Two 240mm fans ...??? Any input would be great..thanks 

Actually we need more input from you!!!

Aaaand your temp reading at LOAD (not idle, DgAf about that) Is...... 100c ++++????

Thermtrip is at 115c. Throttle hard over 105c, like 800mhz clock speed hard. Then pop, the board protection shuts off at 115. 

Here's the clencher though!!!! 

READ-

Any hardware can die at any time for any unknown reason. It IS VERY POSSIBLE that enabling XMP killed the Cpu. I would NOT throw this idea out the window.

The reason is because when you do enable XMP, the motherboard automatically increases Vdimm and memory controller voltages. Your particular cpu may just have died and that was that. 

BUT-

You're not far off. Asus motherboards WARN you when you enable XMP to have effecient processor cooling. They don't tell you why, so above I did. THIS is also possible to have bricked your CPU, but it's like very super duper flooper pooper RARE to see a cpu die from enabling XMP, but IS possible.

There's a little input. Not sure if it helps though. Really nothing more to go by than you enabled XMP on a 12900K monster space heater with a H100i. Perhaps both scenarios are at play simultaneously?! 

Thanks again...I don't remember the temp at the time if failed...going to buy a bigger water cooler and pray. !! Thanks for your time