The Personal Gaming Theater - HOLY $H!T (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

I don't get this thing tbh.

4k is really not enough resolution for a display this size if you're sitting at "desk distance."

For "couch gaming" distance, there are TV's that will do as well (or better, since they aren't curved, the market spoke on curved TV's years ago) and cost less

The "multiview" thing is interesting, but the number of people who would actually use it that way is, I suspect, pretty small, and I'm pretty sure there are triple-decker desk mounts that could be used to achieve the same effect with three "normal" monitors for a lot less.

And for as much as it costs, lacking some of the other bells and whistles already mentioned in the Displays subforum thread is pretty heinous. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

This display just seems ridiculously excessive to me. How can anyone find using a screen that large comfortable when it's in the vertical position?! It's a cool tech demo and all, but I just don't see how it's practical, at least not for someone like me. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

That dynamic window arrangement is really cool.   But the fact that it can't configure more than 1 hdmi input makes the feature near useless.  

Ikea support: "so... what do you mean it was Samsung's fault that your desk split into two?!"

13 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Ikea support: "so... what do you mean it was Samsung's fault that your desk split into two?!"

Sorry. I’m weak. I thought particle board, dowels, bad instructions and a wrecked marriage would be enough to hold the desk up. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I'm concerned about how clear text is on it with 80dpi. And the lack of multi HDMI is a deal breaker for me.

If you want a 55" monitor, just get the Samsung 55" QN95B at half the price.

13 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

This display just seems ridiculously excessive to me. How can anyone find using a screen that large comfortable when it's in the vertical position?! It's a cool tech demo and all, but I just don't see how it's practical, at least not for someone like me. 

they said that with 16 core cpus and 96 cpu(amd coming up)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

4 hours ago, dogwitch said:

I don't think this comparison makes sense at all.

Software evolved to demand and take advantage of CPU's with more cores. What technology advancement will change a basic issue of ergonomics? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, dogwitch said:

That's not a good comparison at all. I have a 10 core CPU in my laptop, but the rest of the laptop is still a normal size. It's mainly the ridiculous size I don't understand with regards to the monitor above. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

When that thing's in portrait mode, it looks like Fred Flintstone's rack of ribs. I was half-expecting the kitchen island to just spontaneously capsize.

image.gif.0a023bbbd879d20eefc3e67bf4de47af.gif

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

19 hours ago, IPD said:

No mods gonna marry up these topics?

I love how the mods will get viciously aggressive about merging build threads into the battlestations thread, or any of a number of other topics...but couldn't be bothered to merge this thread into the thread that predated it by over a week.

🙄

11 hours ago, GodAtum said:

I'm concerned about how clear text is on it with 80dpi. And the lack of multi HDMI is a deal breaker for me.

If you want a 55" monitor, just get the Samsung 55" QN95B at half the price.

Not curved, so nowhere near as ergonomically friendly.  And anyone who thinks display curvature is an optional (or worse, fluff) feature--clearly is not using a 40"+ display as their main.

On 8/15/2022 at 4:27 PM, BondiBlue said:

6 hours ago, Middcore said:

I don't think this comparison makes sense at all.

Software evolved to demand and take advantage of CPU's with more cores. What technology advancement will change a basic issue of ergonomics? 

What if.....

-You had a standing-desk office, and this allowed you to comfortably view at an angle lower than your keyboard--and above it--comfortably?

30 minutes ago, IPD said:

I love how the mods will get viciously aggressive about merging build threads into the battlestations thread, or any of a number of other topics...but couldn't be bothered to merge this thread into the thread that predated it by over a week.

🙄

New LTT videos get their own thread with no exceptions basically. I'm sure there have been other things that were discussed on the forum before LTT did a video about them. If anything it would have made more sense to merge the thread from Displays into this one. 

24 minutes ago, IPD said:

What if.....

-You had a standing-desk office, and this allowed you to comfortably view at an angle lower than your keyboard--and above it--comfortably?

So I'm trying to picture this. You're saying that the bottom of the monitor, mounted vertically, is lower than the desk/keyboard height and then the vertical midpoint of the display is about eye level? Wouldn't the desk itself and the other things on it block your view of the bottom portion of the display? 

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

New LTT videos get their own thread with no exceptions basically. I'm sure there have been other things that were discussed on the forum before LTT did a video about them. If anything it would have made more sense to merge the thread from Displays into this one. 

So I'm trying to picture this. You're saying that the bottom of the monitor, mounted vertically, is lower than the desk/keyboard height and then the vertical midpoint of the display is about eye level? Wouldn't the desk itself and the other things on it block your view of the bottom portion of the display? 

I agree.  Merge into this thread.  IDC.  Just doesn't make any sense having 2 threads with how aggressive they are about not having it elsewhere.

---

Imagine that instead of a full desk, or even a Varidesk riser, you have a KB/Mouse stand at the front edge of your sitting-height desk.  You position the monitor in vertical mode, and then lift the KB/M riser into a standing work position.  You can see past the KB/M stand, because it's only about 12" deep (or less).  So you can easily see down towards the actual desk (and thus the bottom of the portrait monitor). 

In gist, this means that from the standing position, you are eye-level with the middle of the monitor (aka the curved part).  So if you use the display as 3x 30" displays in portrait mode, you are eye-level with the middle display, glance up at the top display, and down at the bottom display.

This CAN be done from a seated position as well, but it requires a very shallow KB/M working surface (eg. something like a hospital tray table or something similar).  You'd have to mount the monitor to a floor stand so you could position the middle of the screen at eye level--something that cannot be done in portrait mode with the factory stand placed on the desk surface.

p.s.

Have you ever used one of those test-taking PC setups where the monitor was recessed into the desk you were sitting at?  You have to look down towards it in order to see the monitor.  Same idea.  Only applied to a 3x monitor setup all being displayed simultaneously on 1 screen.  Something like one of these:

https://afcindustries.com/product/recessed-monitor-computer-desk/