Someone has created a Linux distro that lets you play Switch games natively on Arm64 based computers.

Reddit Post

Horizon Linux is a Linux distro that lets you run Switch applications run natively on Arm64 based computers. (No CPU emulation involved!)

So far it can run some homebrew applications and one commercial game (Puyo Puyo Tetris).

I find this really interesting. It's like some form of Anti-Emulation. I'm interested to see what big names in the emulation space think of this.

Let's just say that for now Macbook owners may be in for a treat some time soon.

inb4 they get sued

Cool concept though!

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

HGST Ultrastar: The last HDD you'll ever need to buy (and the one I always recommend).

Schrödinger's CPU: The Q9650. Is it irrelevant? Is it not? 

24 minutes ago, Loomeh said:

So far it can run some homebrew applications and one commercial game (Puyo Puyo Tetris

That's a far cry from 

lets you play Switch games natively

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

6 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

inb4 they get sued

Cool concept though!

I don't think they can be sued as this isn't illegal. It's in the same area as emulation in terms of legality.

I doubt Nintendo is actually going to do anything as I'm sure if this was taken to court they would lose.

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

That's a far cry from 

It's still running natively. More work just needs to be done to patch the OS to handle all of the Switch's shenanigans. I'm hoping this gets developed further as this is pretty cool.

Cool but I don’t there think there is many hardware and devices that this can be installed onto. Arm Phones are certainly out of question. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 hours ago, wasab said:

Cool but I don’t there think there is many hardware and devices that this can be installed onto. Arm Phones are certainly out of question. 

I don't think it's supposed to run on many devices. I think it's meant to just run on Macbooks but it can run on any Arm64 based machine.

If your phone has an Arm64 cpu and you can somehow install a desktop OS on it then in theory it can run.

16 minutes ago, Loomeh said:

If your phone has an Arm64 cpu and you can somehow install a desktop OS on it then in theory it can run.

assuming that distro has all the firmware and drivers for my devices built in. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

This is super cool! I would love for ARM-Technology to reach the desktop-market. Imagine the efficiency *.* (and yes, I'm German! :D)

21 hours ago, Loomeh said:

I don't think they can be sued as this isn't illegal. It's in the same area as emulation in terms of legality.

I doubt Nintendo is actually going to do anything as I'm sure if this was taken to court they would lose.

Reverse engineering a product doesnt violate intellectual property unless it is part of the licensing agreement for using the said product. Same thing is true for emulation. Users are allow to consume the content and services they already purchase however they see fit, even if this means consuming them on third party platfroms such as on an emulator. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 8/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, wasab said:

Reverse engineering a product doesnt violate intellectual property unless it is part of the licensing agreement for using the said product. Same thing is true for emulation. Users are allow to consume the content and services they already purchase however they see fit, even if this means consuming them on third party platfroms such as on an emulator. 

"Still don't believe me? Watch this"

On 8/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, Mel0n. said:

inb4 they get sued

Cool concept though!

God I hate Nintendo. Thank god for pir- oops I've said to much. I was never here! 

Awesome little project, I look forward to seeing it grow. Will be nice to see Switch games running natively on something that isn't 5 year old phone hardware... hehe...

On 8/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, Loomeh said:

Wont stop them from trying. Also you need a way to get the games off the cartages. Nintendo will go after the rom sites. As I recall from the LTT video running Nintendo games on the Steam Deck, only a small amount of Nintendo Switches were able to be jail broken to pull the games off the cartridges. So it still limits people. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 8/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, Donut417 said:

Wont stop them from trying. Also you need a way to get the games off the cartages. Nintendo will go after the rom sites. As I recall from the LTT video running Nintendo games on the Steam Deck, only a small amount of Nintendo Switches were able to be jail broken to pull the games off the cartridges. So it still limits people. 

Early first gen switches had a hardware vulnerability that allowed you to boot into recovery mode using a cleverly placed paperclip. This version is 'unpatchable'. the ability to get into RCM and use the exploit allows the Fusee-Gelee tegra exploit to be used to deliver payloads to the switch easily.

otherwise you have to use a different exploit which requires you be on a lower firmware version (to begin with), though once you successfully install custom firmware, you can clone the nand, and update the cloned version, allowing you to boot into modern firmware versions.

I haven't been following the scene as of late, but I imagine that new switches ship out at this point with firmware newer than the caffeine exploit can work on which means over time the available hacked switches will dwindle.

That being said, there will always be enough hacked switches out there to dump carts for the lifetime of the console and once the carts are dumped, the roms will be available forever. if rom specific sites are getting taken down it won't matter because they will be out there in the 'ocean'.

Writing The Perfect Question

If your question is answered, mark it so.