NVME M.2 SSD not showing

Combat Stackz

I just built my first PC and went to install Windows 11 but the NVME SSD that I installed isn't showing. It's a MSI motherboard. Any idea what's wrong?

First, can we have a full system specs list, CPU, specific motherboard (MSI makes a lot of motherboards), what SSD model (970 Evo, SN550, 860 Evo, etc.), etc., as well as what M.2 slot you installed the drive in and what other expansion ports you have populated (PCIe slots, SATA ports, etc.). Does the SSD show up in the BIOS, or just not in the Windows installer? There are a lot of things that can cause that to happen, and that will help narrow down which one it is.聽

TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
i5-12600K

ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC Edition

The 1st SSD Slot

62befea3ebf04f78b865687fab11c7b1.1600.jpg

6 minutes ago, Combat Stackz said:

TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
i5-12600K

The 1st SSD Slot

62befea3ebf04f78b865687fab11c7b1.1600.jpg

First, quote or @RONOTHAN##聽so we get a notification.聽

Second, does it show up in the BIOS, or only not in the installer? If it's just not in the installer, you probably need to install drivers for that SSD within the Windows installer (I haven't seen it where you had to do that in a while, but it can happen). If it's not in the BIOS, then there's a couple different possibilities.

1. The drive isn't quite fully seated. Remove the SSD and put it back in
  2. The slot is disabled in the BIOS for whatever reason. Do a Clear CMOS and see if it shows up now. This is very unlikely, so I wouldn't expect this to fix it, but it's easy enough to do that you might as well give it a shot.聽
  3. The slot is just dead, try in a different M.2 slot to see if it maybe shows up in one of those. If it does but when you put it back in slot 1 it doesn't show up, RMA the motherboard.聽
  4. The SSD is DOA. If it doesn't show up in any of the slots, this is what I'd assume and you should probably start trying to RMA the SSD with TeamGroup, or if you're still within your return window just return it and get a new drive.聽

i had issues with my first NVME and determined it just wasn't seated properly. if you've never used one before just insert it at 45 degrees and press firmly and it will slide in. you may have to wiggle it from side to side slightly. good luck!