Everything is giving me electric "shock" after mild apartment flood.

Exaco

Hi there, so I recently experienced apartment flood which was caused by neighbor 2 floors above, there was few leaking spots of water inside my corridor and room where I had to place buckets to reduce as much water damage as possible and some mild dripping in kitchen and toilet.

So fast forward and the leaking stopped which lasted for maybe two hours or so, the apartment is fairly clean and dry now, so since I decided to clean my PC dust including some splashes that got on my screen, headphones and keyboard after I've done it I've noticed that by touching PC Case, Headphone jack ( headphones connected to Monitor, it shocks me even when DisplayPort is disconnected so it's definitely not the PC itself ), even keyboard gives shock which has metal cover.

I live in a "Soviet" commie block so pretty sure the electric installation here is pretty bad and likely doesn't even have proper grounding so I am curious how serious this is ? I mean the PC works for few hours so far, but afaik there's still risk for something to blow up or short and die. I tried another socket in the kitchen and it seems to work fine there without any shocks so now I am thinking to take extension cable and try to reach it somehow until my main socket gets fixed either on it's own or by electrician.

40 minutes ago, Exaco said:

Hi there, so I recently experienced apartment flood which was caused by neighbor 2 floors above, there was few leaking spots of water inside my corridor and room where I had to place buckets to reduce as much water damage as possible and some mild dripping in kitchen and toilet.

So fast forward and the leaking stopped which lasted for maybe two hours or so, the apartment is fairly clean and dry now, so since I decided to clean my PC dust including some splashes that got on my screen, headphones and keyboard after I've done it I've noticed that by touching PC Case, Headphone jack ( headphones connected to Monitor, it shocks me even when DisplayPort is disconnected so it's definitely not the PC itself ), even keyboard gives shock which has metal cover.

I live in a "Soviet" commie block so pretty sure the electric installation here is pretty bad and likely doesn't even have proper grounding so I am curious how serious this is ? I mean the PC works for few hours so far, but afaik there's still risk for something to blow up or short and die. I tried another socket in the kitchen and it seems to work fine there without any shocks so now I am thinking to take extension cable and try to reach it somehow until my main socket gets fixed either on it's own or by electrician.

Are your outlets grounded?

24 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are your outlets grounded?

Wall outlets aren't grounded, but the power strip is "grounded" where my PC and other stuff is plugged if that makes any difference, the power strip is also supposed to protect from surge but I doubt it's any good. Before the flood I haven't noticed any kind of electric shocks.

If the kitchen one is OK, yes an extension cord is probably a good idea until you get the bad socket checked and fixed by an electrician. You need to get someone who knows what to do and do it properly.

19 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

If the kitchen one is OK, yes an extension cord is probably a good idea until you get the bad socket checked and fixed by an electrician. You need to get someone who knows what to do and do it properly.

Just tried it, it's also fkd there. Tried different extension power strips too.
Edit: Now the shock is being barely felt, can't feel it on keyboard or PC case anymore, only the headphone jack shocks a bit if I touch my arm skin. It's like a mosquito bite more or less.

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

Wall outlets aren't grounded, but the power strip is "grounded" where my PC and other stuff is plugged if that makes any difference, the power strip is also supposed to protect from surge but I doubt it's any good. Before the flood I haven't noticed any kind of electric shocks.

A power strip isn't going to create a ground when there isn't one where it's plugged in. 

What you're feeling is leakage current.  Probably doesn't have anything to do with the flooding. 

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

Just tried it, it's also fkd there. Tried different extension power strips too.
Edit: Now the shock is being barely felt, can't feel it on keyboard or PC case anymore, only the headphone jack shocks a bit if I touch my arm skin. It's like a mosquito bite more or less.

The one in the kitchen probably isn't grounded either. At the very least,  get an outlet tester that tells you if your outlets are wired properly. 

I know you're not in the US,  but something like this,  but made for your country's outlets:

https://a.co/d/hVF3THX

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

I know those.

If sockets look like this or similar then it's bad.

Yep, it's pretty much same. Installation from around 1975, only upgraded socket itself here.

Try that with the PC plug and see if anything changes.

Seems the same, also no matter which socket or side I've noticed that the shock thing kinda fluctuates, the intensity of those shocks change especially on the 3.5mm jacks, meanwhile on keyboard and case it's sometimes there and sometimes not.

It's possible water got into the wiring conduits though, that'd be the worst kind of annoying.

That's my guess too since it's been all good for years until that leak.