Did I Kill My Motherboard

tobo the hobo

recently i wanted to reset my bios, a msi b560i mini itx board. i got a metal screwdirver and shorted out my jbat1 pins. everthing was unpluged. after i pluged everthing back in the vga debug light was on and the monitor had a hdmi signal. but was black. should i repace my board?

If all you did was short out the battery pins, then at best all you did as a cmos reset, basically reset bios to defaults.

Put battery back, make sure all the cables are properly inserted and the video card is properly seated, and you should be good to go.

If you still get black screen let it sit like that for 30s or so and if you still have problems, try bios flashback using a usb stick, if the motherboard supports it - check the manual (you can download it if you don't have a paper version)

also a bios reset is easiest done by disconnecting the power cable (so that the power supply won't continue to power the settings instead of battery, and then either short the bios reset pins with a jumper or a screwdriver for a few seconds or unplug the battery for a few seconds.

my motherboard does not support flash back i will try taking the cmos out but i have done that. any other ideas.