Almost EVERYONE is Wasting Money on Dash Cams.

James

Buy a Thinkware F70: https://geni.us/ORAo
Buy a Biuone A20: https://geni.us/PK2Ch
Buy a Chortau B-T13: https://geni.us/oiFwAUr
Buy an Iiwey T1: https://geni.us/1QZkry
Buy a Pruveeo D30H: https://geni.us/sl2dqAc
Buy a Rexing V1-4K: https://geni.us/sOG6
Buy a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2: https://geni.us/TN9q
Buy a Rove R2-4K: https://geni.us/n8xqqeE
Buy a BlackVue DR750X Plus: https://geni.us/L83rlR
Buy a Thinkware U1000: https://geni.us/Qwk85TK
Buy a Viofo A119 V3: https://geni.us/eNBHc
Buy a Viofo A129 Plus Duo: https://geni.us/yPJli
Buy a Viofo A129 Pro Duo: https://geni.us/ygAAc
Buy a BlackVue External 4G/LTE Module: https://geni.us/AIIy2
Buy a Thinkware Multiplexer Box: https://geni.us/P0bzYvN
Buy a Thinkware Multiplexer Kit: https://geni.us/IZGz

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

It’s been YEARS since dash cams hit the market, but it feels like we’ve been stuck at a standstill. Why is it that camera quality is so lacking? Are there really no good options when shopping for a dash cam to attach to the windshield of your car? (The second half of this video is pretty stunning!)

THANK YOU! I have bought over 100 dashcams over the last 20 years and none of them have ever been good. So I was forced to go the DIY route and use a webcam connected to a laptop hidden under the seat.

I know everyone is going to post why u no test my dashcam:  But ™️:

I was hoping to see Roav (not Rove) which is actually owned by Anker. 

I now wonder if Anker stumbled on this issue because the Roav website doesnt even list any Dashcams anymore. 

I did find this Amazon listing for the C2, and if Labs needs my Roav Duo or my C1 let me know.

The C1 is typically my daily driver and is at least on par with what we see here, some readable texts, some readable plates.  I think its towards the better end, but it did already let me prove fault at least once so that's what counts🙂

Edited by swimtome

I do wish @LinusTech  had given the real tech tip: Leave your microphone on and in a situation where you might need the plate SAY IT OUT LOUD

Got drilled into my head during research faze and it did pay off for me.  Hit and run at an angle, so odds are even a great camera would have had a hard time getting the plate.  Spoke the plate right after I stopped moving, the guy took off 2 seconds later.  Thankfully he got a nice visit from the police within the next 24 hours.

Obviously this isn't fool proof, but its a good tip to keep in your back pocket for a rainy day...

What most don't think about is that these things sit in the car when it's extremely hot or extremely cold, in conditions you wouldn't subject your child, your pet, or yourself to. Ever left your phone in the car on a hot day and either had it shut down to protect itself, or actually quit working from the heat? Same with this. If you can, park in the shade when not driving, your dashcam will last a lot longer. I got a VanTrue N4 about this time last year, no complaints.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

What most don't think about is that these things sit in the car when it's extremely hot or extremely cold

I was thinking of that too, my family runs a GPS unit (for back up camera) in one of the cars and it overheats once in awhile.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Wow, a topic I can finally comment about!  I’ve been following the dash cam market since around 2014, back when the only markets that used it were in/around Russia and all models were 360p-720p with flip-down screens and green timestamps. And I’ve encountered the exact same issues Linus talked about in the video when trying to purchase my own units. I ended up having to avoid any and all Amazon reviews, and needed to go and download raw, uncompressed footage of any camera I was looking at. If I was lucky, the manufacturer would have made it available to download. If not, I’d have to rely on users purchasing their own units + uploading their own raw footage to random places online. A very painstaking process but my area has a lot of hit-and-run’s, so it was necessary. 

I did notice video quality on dashcams start to “peak” around 2018 (where they more or less looked the same with no quality improvements), but now it make sense when he talks about how theyve been using identical hardware for multiple years. Reminds me of the smartwatch industry, using old processors in new bodies. 

I’m also surprised they didn’t talk more about the website they briefly showed, DashCamTalk. Their forums are full of dashcam reviews and they provide raw footage from the cameras for people to download, alongside the same footage recorded using another dashcam. It makes direct comparisons really easy. 

Hope to see Labs’ testing will be able to make purchasing one less of a wild goose chase in the future. 

To me I like the garmin unit, there CS is top notch (experience from using there watches).

Since they manufacture in Taiwan and Software is state side it seems decent.

But most of this is trust over years of using random stuff from them.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

9 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

What most don't think about is that these things sit in the car when it's extremely hot or extremely cold, in conditions you wouldn't subject your child, your pet, or yourself to. Ever left your phone in the car on a hot day and either had it shut down to protect itself, or actually quit working from the heat? Same with this. If you can, park in the shade when not driving, your dashcam will last a lot longer. I got a VanTrue N4 about this time last year, no complaints.

Got the same, I didn't setup my VanTrue N4 to record when the car is off so only when on as well since. So far it's survived summer without issue 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 minutes ago, user_name said:

Wow, a topic I can finally comment about!  I’ve been following the dash cam market since around 2014, back when the only markets that used it were in/around Russia

What is it with Russia and dashcams? Did they become popular because the police are so corrupt?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I was searching for some of the webcams that were mentioned on Amazon and then came across a couple of webcams that are specifically made for Fords.

I assume that they have the same terrible quality, but they at least seem to be a lot more convenient as they don't need a cable running through the middle of the interior. 

Didn't know this existed, so I thought I'd share. 

Dash Cam mit Full HD-Auflösung, unterstützt Ford SYNC 3/4 mit AppLink & Touchscreen sowie Apple CarPlay™ und Android Auto™ Garmin®* Dash Cam 66W

12 minutes ago, Middcore said:

What is it with Russia and dashcams? Did they become popular because the police are so corrupt?

Prevalence of insurance scams was what I saw. Back then, dashcams were a lot more chunky and hard to hide (plus the mounts were awful and difficult to adjust), so while I did see it used to record officers on traffic stops, wasn’t used as much as evidence against brake-check scams or sideswipe scams. China and Taiwan promptly followed suit because they had issues with similar insurance scams. 

Also ofc, to prove who was at fault in a car accident. Russian insurance companies were among the first to give discounts if you installed a dashcam in your car, so for some drivers it was a no-brainer. Cool footage they could upload online was a bonus. 

I made a thread earlier this year looking into doing my own dashcam setup because I was tired of the crappy dashcams. I still haven't gotten around to it, but I was going to use a raspberry pi and there was a camera module I found for it. 

After watching the video, I went to check what SoC my 4-year-old dashcam uses and was surprised that it apparently uses the NT96675, which sound newer than any of the ones in the video. Sadly, it only has an IMX307 with 1080p@30fps, but I have had really good experience with it regarding reading license plates etc.

I bought it after watching a TechMoan review on it and they are surprisingly stil available for around 85 USD.

Street Guardian, while a bit more expensive has excellent US customer support (shout out to Ryan!) and seems to roll out updates pretty regularly for a few years after the camera has been made. I've been extremely happy with my dash cam from them and will buy another from the same brand again. https://streetguardian.info/

For the A119 V3, Thinkware, and Blackvue, the footage from LTT seems way too low quality compared to sample footage found on Youtube

Irrelevant video as I think it completely missed the point. I agree that the dash cam market right now isn't in the best spot because it's extremely uncompetitive but making a video like this is like making a video about buying $400 pre-builts and then complaining that it can't run Cyberpunk 2077 smoothly at max settings. For a normal dash cam don't look below $150 like you wouln't look below $1000~ for a brand new PC to play the latest games at highest graphics.

Also irrelevant cause Garmin's normal line up isn't in the video. No one buys the mini as it overheats in the first place.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

I really miss the Xiaomi 70mai dash cams on this review. They seem to have a great image quality and there are models under $100.

Great video, I loved the technical detail in it.

It seems like - just with computer webcams - companies have just been producing the same product for over 10 years with minimal innovation

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Top rated on Amazon"

Dude, there's your problem. Dashcam companies hand out free shit left and right in exchange for a "fair and unbiased" review. It's almost as bad as cheap cordless vacuum cleaners and USB hubs. Or do you really believe that 17,000 people needed YUFOOL USB-C HUB FOR WINDOW PC MAC and 99.995% of them loved it enough to leave a five-star review?

If you want to give an honest shot to good dashcams, look at the ones Uber/Lyft drivers and truckers use.

Edit: I clearly had not watched past the first 45 seconds of the video when this was written.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Anyone else wants linus to make his own dashcam based on a "raspberry pi zero 2 W "

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Personally, I use my older smartphone that i dont use anymore as i dashcam. it has good image quality, and it cost me nothing (because i already had the phone, and otherwise I would have thrown it away). And its also eco friendly since you are reusing already existing thing :)

"Spent over $1000 on a dozen dash cams on Amazon"

🤣🤣🤣 That's your first big stupid mistake right there.

"I did my homework"

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Umm... no. You didn't! You threw money at the problem like every unintelligent rich prick and got what you paid for.

For the last SEVEN YEARS I've been rocking a Thinkware F750 complete build out with hard wiring and rear camera installed. It has saved my bacon in at least two accidents where the insurance company would have put me at-fault/liable had I not had video evidence of exactly what went down.

I settled on the Thinkware after a trip to Best Buy to see what other offerings they had and checked them out in person. I also visited the Thinkware website looking at their offerings, see what accessories they make for their cameras and most importantly their warranty. Then I price checked across the different stores including shipping. THAT'S CALLED DOING YOUR HOMEWORK!!! The Thinkware is also a CES 2015 award winner, so you can add that for an accolade as well. 

Loop recording, high resolution, high frame rate and night vision are all important factors for a camera to work properly. Delayed recording when you leave the car and auto power off (beefy storage caps) is another important feature. Likewise you want to format the installed SD card at least once a month too to keep it in good working condition.

For anybody working with their car and especially doing rideshare investing in a dashcam will pay off big time. For rear facing footage in the cabin just plunk a GoPro on the dash - people will see it and know they are being recorded 😎

My F750 wasn't cheap with the rear camera and hard wiring kit (over $450) not including the cost of installation at my local Al & Eds. But for the last 7 years it has been working flawlessly. You will wear out SD cards over time but replacing those is trivial. Also a good practice is to keep spare SD cards with you in the car in case you do need to pull footage. Yeah, I can review the recordings on my smartphone to show the police on scene but that's not always practical or doable, as is using the Thinkware laptop software with audio, timestamps and other accident related details. That SD card is what counts as your physical evidence and the contents that the insurance companies will be interested in looking at. That also means you don't want to accidentally overwrite that thing.

As for buying today, I'd go with the Thinkware Q800 Pro. Similar to the F750 that I have and better bang for the buck than their flagship U1000.