Corsair SP120 fans x 6 -- Mobo chassis fan headers x 2 -- what to do?

An0maly_76
Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

I had the corsair SP120 a long way ago, they use the same PWM as any other fan. 

As far as the adaptor goes, idk what monstrosity you have chosen, Corsair SP120s are not server fans, they don't need 65w of power.

Get normal cheaper splitters, and you will be as fine as ever.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=pwm+splitter+3+way&qid=1660465913&sprefix=pwm+splitter+3%2Caps%2C296&sr=8-3

image.png.72bb23f8a9488283eba28a1f2b2407ce.png

Something like this will work really fine, as the corsair SP120 fans use like max 0.2amp, and all modern motherboards have 1amp headers.

Even the LED version of SP120 only has 0.26Amp power draw, so 3 on the same header is fine.

Nearly finished with a 3600X in a Corsair 4000X that I'm transferring my 5900X build from. I'm taking my Corsair Commander to the new case, and I may have painted myself into a corner here. I've successfully set up the Lighting Node Core to control fan RGB in the 4000X -- even though I don't really care about it, might as well make it work, right? However, I have six fans in the 4000X and only two chassis fan headers on the ASRock B450M-HDV motherboard. I was thinking about these splitters, but I know Corsair's RGB is some 5V proprietary deal, which makes me think their PWM is also... If not, will the splitters in the link work for this? I'm possibly flipping this build when done and don't want to spend $50 on a Commander for it if I can get the same basic setup for less.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

44 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I was thinking about these splitters, but I know Corsair's RGB is some 5V proprietary deal, which makes me think their PWM is also... If not, will the splitters in the link work for this?

no pwm shouldnt be proprietary, only time that happens is on server fans, which means yes those splitters will work fine

Through plug in one of the fans into the board to make sure theyre not proprietary garbage pwm

As far as the adaptor goes, idk what monstrosity you have chosen, Corsair SP120s are not server fans, they don't need 65w of power.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=pwm+splitter+3+way&qid=1660465913&sprefix=pwm+splitter+3%2Caps%2C296&sr=8-3

image.png.72bb23f8a9488283eba28a1f2b2407ce.png

Something like this will work really fine, as the corsair SP120 fans use like max 0.2amp, and all modern motherboards have 1amp headers.

Even the LED version of SP120 only has 0.26Amp power draw, so 3 on the same header is fine.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

5 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Corsair SP120s are not server fans, they don't need 65w of power.

corsair SP120 fans use like max 0.2amp, and all modern motherboards have 1amp headers.

Really? That's great. That's exactly what I was concerned about, burning out the mobo header output. I guess that's why Corsair offers the lighting node to control RGB only. I had figured they put out enough for one fan, or maybe even nothing more than a control signal to be interpreted by a SATA-powered controller. Thanks so much.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

On my Meshify I used a Molex powered hub, worked great! I just plugged the hub into the chassis fan one header because it gave the fastest speed outside of the cpu header. I chose Molex because it can handle more power than sata can. Was using iPPC fans at the time..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Yeah, I'm not sure which way to go here because the second chassis fan header appears to be right under the GPU. Might not be an issue with the GTX1650 I plan to install, but the RTX3060ti from my 5900X build is in it right now, hard to tell. Ugh. I really wasn't trying to build another machine, let alone spend this much, but that's pretty much what I wound up doing. I just hope I can at least get my money back out of this thing if I can find someone interested in buying it. But looking at other $1,000 prebuilts I see, this $1,000 3600X rig is probably a little better.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

33 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure which way to go here because the second chassis fan header appears to be right under the GPU. Might not be an issue with the GTX1650 I plan to install, but the RTX3060ti from my 5900X build is in it right now, hard to tell. Ugh. I really wasn't trying to build another machine, let alone spend this much, but that's pretty much what I wound up doing. I just hope I can at least get my money back out of this thing if I can find someone interested in buying it. But looking at other $1,000 prebuilts I see, this $1,000 3600X rig is probably a little better.

If one fanheader is hard to reach, might just be easiest to go with a 6 header powered splitter.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Got the splitters OC recommended. Easy-peasy. Also caught a break as the header I thought would be a problem was a bit north of conflicting with the GPU, as I thought it would. Swapped in a GTX1650-OC so to reunite my RTX3060TI with my recently reassembled 5900X build, and with a fresh Win10 install on a 500GB SN570, the machine now runs seemingly perfectly, so much so that I almost can't tell the difference between it and my recently reassembled 5900X / RTX3060ti rig.

Now I wait with bated breath and a most sardonic grin to see what happens with my 5900X, as my troubles with that build may or may not be over yet, and I'm looking at it like Jules Winfield... "BLANK SCREEN AGAIN! BLANK... SCREEN... AGAIN! I DARE YOU! I DOUBLE-DARE YOU, M*********A! BLANK SCREEN ONE MORE G****** TIME!"

It may not get Pulp Fiction's modified Ezekiel 25:17 speech, or meet its end beneath the front tires of a semi, as I once did to an uncooperative Galaxy S3, but the 3600X will be a welcome replacement if the 5900X build gives me any more problems. I've been fighting the urge to dump it into the pool as it is.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!