Need Advice Building the Ultimate Plex Server for <1000€

Go to solution Solved by NF-A12x25,

Why would you need a GPU for a plex server? Just use a CPU with an integrated GPU, no? Sorry I was thinking of a NAS, duh. Stupid me

Here’s a list with a good CPU and motherboard as well as a good cooler and you can add other stuff to it. Choose a good PSU from the LTT tier list. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/TC6sMb

Budget (including currency): max. 1000€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Plex Media Server, Windows 10/11 OS 

Other details: I already have an Define 7 XL Case to store everything inside. No need for a monitor or keyboard/mouse. 

Hey guys,

I'm currently running my Plex Server on the first PC I ever got from 2014 with an AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (please don't judge, was 13 had no idea about tech, the case looked cool to my 13 year old me)

Now it's time for a new one, since the old one isn't capable of handling my growing library. 

As mentioned above I already got myself a Case. It's the same one that Linus used in his 320TB Video.

Now I'm struggling to get the other parts together since building PCs is quite new for me.

The Plex Server is used in house as well as externally for my friends and family. We have Gigabit Networking at home so would be great if it could make use of that. 

The Server holds everything from digitized DVDs and Tapes to 4K HDR Content. Currently around 16TB. And because I'm a real TV and Movie Buff it grows at around 4TB a year

Plex recommends an Intel i7 with 3.2 Ghz for 4K use but I'm not entirely sure about that since The Internet was kinda set on an AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

Guess I need a good recommendation for CPU, Mainboard and GPU. Everything else PC Partpicker will hopefully be my best friend. 

Really hope Linus will do a Build for this topic one day. Has a lot of potential I think. 

Thank you in advance for any advice 🙂

Why would you need a GPU for a plex server? Just use a CPU with an integrated GPU, no? Sorry I was thinking of a NAS, duh. Stupid me

Here’s a list with a good CPU and motherboard as well as a good cooler and you can add other stuff to it. Choose a good PSU from the LTT tier list. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/TC6sMb

Hey thanks for the reply, I was under the impression that a GPU can be useful for transcoding support. I think Linus also mentioned that in the 320TB Video. Will take at the list thx

2 minutes ago, DerGottesgleiche said:

Hey thanks for the reply, I was under the impression that a GPU can be useful for transcoding support. I think Linus also mentioned that in the 320TB Video. Will take at the list thx

Ah, okay. I edited my post by the way with a new part list that’s in Euro prices (I had made it initially in USD)

Have you thought of using Linux instead of Windows? It's lighter and doesnt mess with your storage, I used Windows for Plex and it felt more complicated and sluggish than linux.

20 hours ago, lavacat3150 said:

Have you thought of using Linux instead of Windows? It's lighter and doesnt mess with your storage, I used Windows for Plex and it felt more complicated and sluggish than linux.

I have considered it, but truthfully I have no experience with Linux so I don't really feel comfortable trusting my 14TB to it. But I might install it on my old Server afterwards to get familiar with it 😄