2 DOA Power Supplys or another issue?

Skyie

few months ago I bought a corsair TX650M to replace my VS450 unit which I've been using since 2019 (still works great) as I need a more powerful unit for future upgrades. I plugged it into my system, connected everything up correctly, everything turns on, fans, everything and all looks well, But at the same time,  there is no signal on the monitor and the CPU light on the motherboard is on. I tried replugging in all components, removing a ram stick, resetting CMOS and nothing worked, so I figured it was DOA and returned it. Yesterday I bought yet another TX650M this time from Scan UK (last one was from amazon) and the exact same problem occurred. Keep in mind my old unit, the VS450 still functions fine and works in my system, so I know the problem isn't me. But I find it hard to believe that two units in a row, months apart would be DOA. I've thought it might be a motherboard issue but I'll leave it for you to decide as I'm really not sure what the problem is

Specs:

MSI B450 PRO M2 motherboard

R5 3600 (no OC)

32GB Ballsitix DDR4-3200MHz

GTX 1080 

Seeing as how the VS450 isn't modular, we can rule out wrongly reusing modular cables at least. Did you use the modular cables that came with the TX650Ms?

4 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Seeing as how the VS450 isn't modular, we can rule out wrongly reusing modular cables at least. Did you use the modular cables that came with the TX650Ms?

yep, I only used the cables that came in the box with the TX650M units.

And you're sure you used the PCIe power cable for the GPU and the 4+4 CPU power cable for the motherboard? They might look the same, but the pinouts might be different.

6 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

And you're sure you used the PCIe power cable for the GPU and the 4+4 CPU power cable for the motherboard? They might look the same, but the pinouts might be different.

Pretty sure I did both times, the cable I plugged into the CPU header was titled "cpu" and the one plugged into the graphics card was called "Pcie" 

Alright, well then I don't have any other suggestions 🙃 I agree that it's far fetched that 2 seperate PSUs from 2 vendors would have the same fault, but as far as I can tell, you did things the right way, so I'd start to suspect the PSUs too.

Hope someone else can come along with some fresh ideas.