PCI 4.0 NVme's "real life" speed results

frozensun

Ok guys.

So I got myself KC3000 1TB version but have not installed it yet (no matter why).

Yeah those synthetics show huge approvement over SSD but what does that mean for us "average users"

I'm curious to know (yeah R/W speeds are 7GBbps/6GBps) what speed in MB/s would I get if lets say I want to either copy something from external device like USB pen drive or HDD onto it, or lets say copy paste from my internal SSD to KC3000 and wise versa?I'm on X570 MoBo.

I suppose now better alternative is now to install games on KC3000 rather then my SSD (which is my main boot drive).

But then again there is no such difference in running games either from SSD or nvme,just I suppose installation will be faster on nvme drive.

So regarding above mentioned will the speed be limited by external device such as pen drive,external HDD,external SSD,or that doesn't matter?

Will I able now to transfer files from external devices onto KC3000 faster (less time) then lets say onto HDD/SSD?

I really don't need to copy paste from KC3000 and onto KC3000,since I won't be creating any partitions on it,but I will use it as a storage drive and installation drive for few games.

Maybe if I get into video encoding or games making ofc I will use KC3000 as rendering disk.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

until Direct Storage becomes a thing for PC, Gen 4 and Gen 5 drives are pretty much pointless and useless for gamers. You will only see scientific applications really be able to take use of the throughput offered. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

until Direct Storage becomes a thing for PC, Gen 4 and Gen 5 drives are pretty much pointless and useless for gamers. You will only see scientific applications really be able to take use of the throughput offered. 

But of course you should be building your PC for as much longevity as you can, so its not really pointless unless you plan to replace it before games start supporting it.

Router:  Intel Celeron N5105 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~915Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

How about copying/pasting onto the nvme and from nvme to other external devices?

Will the speed be greater then compared to HDD/SSD.

AS external devices I'm talking about USB pen drives,and memory cards (which I am using a lot) and external HDDs/SSDs?

Lets asume I want to copy the music which hold hundreds of MP3 files from flash drive (USB 3.2 Gen 1 declared) onto this nvme.

What copy speed would I expect and wise versa from nvme onto pen drives?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

29 minutes ago, frozensun said:

How about copying/pasting onto the nvme and from nvme to other external devices?

Will the speed be greater then compared to HDD/SSD.

AS external devices I'm talking about USB pen drives,and memory cards (which I am using a lot) and external HDDs/SSDs?

Lets asume I want to copy the music which hold hundreds of MP3 files from flash drive (USB 3.2 Gen 1 declared) onto this nvme.

All of these are slower than even a SATA SSD so you won't see any gain over that, it'll be limited to the external drive's performance.

30 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

But of course you should be building your PC for as much longevity as you can, so its not really pointless unless you plan to replace it before games start supporting it.

It'll always be cheaper to buy one once it's really useful than doing so in advance, the usual "build for the future fallacy".

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

36 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Hmm interesting...then why do we need PCI-E 5.0 motherboards?

They are taking $ from us for smth that 99 % of average users will not use...

Even 4.0 is an overkill.

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

It'll always be cheaper to buy one once it's really useful than doing so in advance, the usual "build for the future fallacy".

Not necessarily, or have you forgotten we've had a silicon shortage so prices have been all over the place?

Router:  Intel Celeron N5105 (pfSense) WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.44Gbit peak at 160Mhz 2x2 MIMO, ~900Mbit at 80Mhz)

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

All of these are slower than even a SATA SSD so you won't see any gain over that, it'll be limited to the external drive's performance.

Oooh damn,I got wrong again.

So any true benefit in coping/pasting large files onto the same drive which is KC3000?

12 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Oooh damn,I got wrong again.

So any true benefit in coping/pasting large files onto the same drive which is KC3000?

Obviously copy/pasting to the same drive, or another drive as fast WILL utilise that speed.

14 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmm interesting...then why do we need PCI-E 5.0 motherboards?

They are taking $ from us for smth that 99 % of average users will not use...

Even 4.0 is an overkill.

Because that's how technological evolution works.  If you don't create and release the standard that is better than you have now, no devices will ever be released for it.  If NVIDIA hadn't releases Raytracing capable GPUs, we probably wouldn't have Raytracing today, it pushed the industry forwards.  Same happened with programmable shaders, the technology has to be out in the wild in significant numbers before its economical for it to actually be used.  The same reason current-gen console games aren't fully utilising their hardware yet but they will in the next few years or so.

DirectStorage should absolutely take advantage of PCIe 4.0, the new top-end 40x0 series NVIDIA card will probably need it (the 30x0 already has some advantage), plus there are PCIe cards using less PCIe lanes in their 4.0 versions than their PCIe 3.0 versions, as its cheaper to do that.

You're also forgetting that as part of PCIe 5.0 there are also improvements to the speed the CPU talks to the chipset, its all connected.

I mean imagine if they never bothered adding more cores to CPUs because hardly anyone needs it?  But slowly over time as enough people have that, its being utilised.  They're able to do things like Spiderman Remastered where it uses the extra cores to decompress the game data as you play.  Or compile shaders as you play, which while it has its issues, some games do it well - it would have been impossible without access to multi-core CPUs.

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not necessarily, or have you forgotten we've had a silicon shortage so prices have been all over the place?

That's not something you can plan for though. It's basically a gamble, maybe you get lucky but I wouldn't count on it. There are many more examples of the opposite. There are things that were unobtainium a year ago that are on clearance now...

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

That's not something you can plan for though. It's basically a gamble, maybe you get lucky but I wouldn't count on it. There are many more examples of the opposite. There are things that were unobtainium a year ago that are on clearance now...

Depends how you look at it, when I built my gaming rig I went 2TB PCIe 4 SSD as I didn't want the hassle of cloning/reinstalling Windows once games supporting DirectStorage came out.  The hassle would outweigh any cost difference.

Granted its unlikely even then PCIe 4 will be mandatory, but putting a price on peace of mind is a tricky thing.