Fractal design torrent problems

Xa3phod

So, I have a torrent. The right side panel shattered while I was working on the PC. It tipped over and having the psu on top made it easy to topple over. Fractal design offered a few one, I said fine. 3 weeks later and no new panel, The left side panel shattered as I was holding it in my hand. No dropping, banging, etc. Insane, was.no reason why it would break. I never removed the right panel because it was full of broken glass and it was all contained in the plastic coating. When I tried to remove it, the clip which fastens the panel.to the case.on top was jammed in there. I could not remove it and as I tried,.glass was falling all over the place. I finally had to use pliers to get it off, but I had.to kind of tear off the tab that was jammed.

Fractal is offering me two new panels, but the case itself is damaged. Not sure if the right panel will fit or sit properly.  What.would you do? Ask for a manager? I bought it in December, it should have a warranty?

What should I do? Complain? This thing was over $200

9 minutes ago, Xa3phod said:

So, I have a torrent. The right side panel shattered while I was working on the PC. It tipped over and having the psu on top made it easy to topple over. Fractal design offered a few one, I said fine. 3 weeks later and no new panel, The left side panel shattered as I was holding it in my hand. No dropping, banging, etc. Insane, was.no reason why it would break. I never removed the right panel because it was full of broken glass and it was all contained in the plastic coating. When I tried to remove it, the clip which fastens the panel.to the case.on top was jammed in there. I could not remove it and as I tried,.glass was falling all over the place. I finally had to use pliers to get it off, but I had.to kind of tear off the tab that was jammed.

Fractal is offering me two new panels, but the case itself is damaged. Not sure if the right panel will fit or sit properly.  What.would you do? Ask for a manager? I bought it in December, it should have a warranty?

What should I do? Complain? This thing was over $200

speak to a manager and see if you can replace it completely just dont be a karen about it.

1 hour ago, Xa3phod said:

The right side panel shattered while I was working on the PC. It tipped over and having the psu on top made it easy to topple over...............

So you knocked it over, or let it fall? Fractal offers to replace the panels anyways? Kind of seems like they are already providing pretty good customer service. Usually warranties aren't for things you broke.

PSU on top isn't a fault, or design flaw, that is actually how most PCs used to be built. It's only been in recent times PSU were on bottom. I remember modifying cases way back to put them on the bottom because it never made sense to me to have two hot items next to each other.

As mentioned, you can try ask for more, but you may get shut down entirely. Seems like they are already be fairly generous. My only gripe, is why is the replacement taking so long.

I have never had an issue with the weight balance in the torrent due to the top mounted PSU even before I went custom loop WC. Thats with a 1300W EVGA PSU. The side panels have also never jammed up, often times I feel they are too easy to remove. Yes, its a 200 dollar case, but you should treat it as such instead of dropping it and blaming it on the top mounted PSU. Top mounting PSUs used to be the standard when cases were much lighter and narrower. The torrent sits much wider and is a very heavy case. It shouldn't spontaneously tip. I've built 3 systems in torrents (2 standard, one nano) without any issue.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Xa3phod said:

They took care of it. Great customer service.

they replaced the whole case? 

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

Not bad, you destroyed your case, and they gave you new panels for free.. that is pretty good I would say. Take your panels off before you lay it down 😉

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

They just replaced the panels. I was able to make the case work. There was a screw holding the clip in that had to be removed.

Attaboy

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143