New board won't POST with 9400 GT

da na

Strange question, but I've been trying to get a GeForce 9400 GT VGA card working on my Xeon E5 system. It will not POST with the card, the card works fine in any other motherboard though. 
I have a board that lists memory addresses for installed cards and displays ROMs for GPUs, the 9400 GT shows "Nvidia GeForce BIOS [something]" before booting in that system. No other video card I have does that, and those all work in my Xeon PC (Even the GeForce 6800). So I assume it's something to do with that BIOS not being read correctly. I recall there being a BIOS option called "legacy VGA ROMs" or something along those lines. Should I turn that on? Should I turn off above 4g decoding? 

I want to use this card as a basic display output since the CPU does not have integrated graphics, and this card is passive therefore silent, but still has enough VRAM for Cinema 4D render server.

Motherboard is a C600 series chipset, one of those Chinese LGA2011 motherboards. Card is a 9400 GT 1GB from Sparkle.

You're into antiques ? 🙂

Get a GT710 it's less than $20 and will smoke the Cretacean-era 9400GT 🤣

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

46 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Motherboard is a C600 series chipset, one of those Chinese LGA2011 motherboards

These all come with different PCIe slots from what I've seen, I'm guessing you tested the others?

12 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

You're into antiques ? 🙂

Given that the card is on hand already, and that the needs for it are very basic, I wouldn't suggest necessarily buying a new card to replace something that ought to be working fine

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

These all come with different PCIe slots from what I've seen, I'm guessing you tested the others?

Given that the card is on hand already, and that the needs for it are very basic, I wouldn't suggest necessarily buying a new card to replace something that ought to be working fine

I've tested every PCIe slot, yes.

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

You're into antiques ? 🙂

I have a ton of cards - I could be using a GT 730 or Quadro K620, but I don't want to because they are not passive. (right now I'm using a FirePro 2270 x1, nice passive card but its 1x PCIe could be put to better use in a system that doesn't have like 48 PCIe lanes from the CPU.) Again this is for a render server - Cinema 4D needs to see a video card to open, it doesn't need the card to render - and rendering is sped up a little by VRAM (the 1gb on this card will be fine). I could use a Radeon 9200 if you'd like that! 

2 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

I have a ton of cards - I could be using a GT 730 or Quadro K620, but I don't want to because they are not passive. Again this is for a render server - Cinema 4D needs to see a video card to open, it doesn't need the card to render - and rendering is sped up a little by VRAM (the 1gb on this card will be fine). I could use a Radeon 9200 if you'd like that! 

Ok was mostly kidding, I thought noone used a 9400GT anymore !

And GT710 is passively cooled 🙂

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Ok was mostly kidding, I thought noone used a 9400GT anymore !

And GT710 is passively cooled 🙂

Some are, mine aren't and for this honestly I wouldn't buy a new card. 

Bought an even older card (the GeForce 6800) for my XP system so I just have the 9400 GT free now.

12 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

If using a card that does work in this system alongside the 9400 GT, does the 9400 GT still prevent boot?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Some are, mine aren't and for this honestly I wouldn't buy a new card. 

Bought an even older card (the GeForce 6800) for my XP system so I just have the 9400 GT free now.

Still don't understand what you can do efficiently with such old weak GPUs ??

Still don't understand what you can do efficiently with such old weak GPUs ??

The only thing it needs to do is give me a video out. It's not gaming, the GPU isn't being used for raytraced rendering since I'm CPU rendering on that machine. 

2 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

If using a card that does work in this system alongside the 9400 GT, does the 9400 GT still prevent boot?

Using two 9400 GTs (hehe) it will not boot, the MSI 9400 GT that I am using alongside works fine. 

2 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

Using two 9400 GTs (hehe) it will not boot, the MSI 9400 GT that I am using alongside works fine. 

Even though it's passive does it have a fan header? Maybe there's a warning to not post because a fan isn't spinning even though it doesn't have one by design.

Primary PC:

33 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Even though it's passive does it have a fan header? Maybe there's a warning to not post because a fan isn't spinning even though it doesn't have one by design.

It does but doesn't show fan errors on any other board.

15 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

It does but doesn't show fan errors on any other board.

The error might be board specific, and not specific to the GPU. Some kind of built in safety feature. Do you have a fan on hand that would plug in?

Primary PC:

Gotta enable CSM for the old NON UEFI video card bios bro. 

My GTX 260 does the same thing, but says Bios modded by ShrimpBrime during start up. The board (B660-G) would stall at white VGA light and no post. After several tries, the board finally forced CSM enabled on it's own, but this issue was mainly with the factory shipped bios. After an update, I had a lot less problems. 

Good Luck!

Here you go @Mel0n. bro.

LGA 1700 with an X600. 

Used GTX 980 to disable CSM before installing this card. Hot swapped during the power down and she posted right up. 

Even working in W11!! Wowzers!

image.png.5f51bab06f052fb3e56825874b49bec7.png