PC gets Black screen whenever I start up a game

Go to solution Solved by DizzyDwarf20,

To those who came by this forum, I have found my solution so I'm posting it here in case it helps you as well. 

It turns out, my GPU isn't powerful enough to handle the graphics card so I needed to a new and more powerful one. It's always something so simple that is the issue.

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB

The story:

Recently I have tried to launch a game on steam (Such as New World, War Thunder, Sea of thieves), and for some reason I get a black screen (The entire screen, not just the game. I have two PC screens) whenever I get into the game. Oddly enough, I still hear the games audio in the background (With an occasional Windows Notification when this happens) but I was left with no choice but to restart my PC. My PC also makes that noise you would expect when it is overheating at least from what I could tell.

Doing anything else besides launching a game whether its watching videos or using Discord it works fine.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Graphics driver (Geforce Experience) but this didn't work. Though, while reinstalling the driver, Windows Security claims that I have a trojan which doesn't make sense to me but I removed it regardless (Or quarantined it). One of them however mentions that it is affecting a Nvidia file

I tried setting my power plan to high, I disabled that 'Windows Game mode' along with State power management and nothing worked. I unplugged and re-plugged the RAM, CPU and GPU and still no luck. I eventually tried to rollback Windows updates since this started occurring a few days ago around when I got a Windows update. Windows Security and such. I tried to uninstall them, I got some but the PC absolutely refuses to allow that option. It DID actually work for a bit, but then I got the Black screen again.

I tried to use advanced options to uninstall the Windows Features, or Quality update but the PC can't do it.

To make this even stranger is the fact my external hard drive where I keep most of my games in, sometimes does not pick up and restarting the PC somehow fixes it. (My Windows is in the other hard drive, its an SSD card). 

I am tempted to try and reset my PC to see if it could work, but I need advice...anyone has suggestions on what I could do or what I am missing?

Whats the temps before blacking out? CPU and GPU.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

By your external hard drive not picking up do you mean it does not get detected?

Also I'm going to guess that the windows notification is probably windows notifying you about your graphics driver.

This may sound dumb but try to start the games in windowed mode. Its sometimes worked for me when my games crash.

2 minutes ago, Orika said:

By your external hard drive not picking up do you mean it does not get detected?

Also I'm going to guess that the windows notification is probably windows notifying you about your graphics driver.

This may sound dumb but try to start the games in windowed mode. Its sometimes worked for me when my games crash.

I did try windowed mode, but unfortunately it didn't work. As for External hard drive, its not getting detected for some reason (Not showing up in file explorer)

5 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Whats the temps before blacking out? CPU and GPU.

How do I check that?

Assuming you could still boot and test a game, use MSI afterburner. Follow this guide. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4pcOBuG68

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

28 minutes ago, DizzyDwarf20 said:

Specs:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB

The story:

Recently I have tried to launch a game on steam (Such as New World, War Thunder, Sea of thieves), and for some reason I get a black screen (The entire screen, not just the game. I have two PC screens) whenever I get into the game. Oddly enough, I still hear the games audio in the background (With an occasional Windows Notification when this happens) but I was left with no choice but to restart my PC. My PC also makes that noise you would expect when it is overheating at least from what I could tell.

Doing anything else besides launching a game whether its watching videos or using Discord it works fine.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Graphics driver (Geforce Experience) but this didn't work. Though, while reinstalling the driver, Windows Security claims that I have a trojan which doesn't make sense to me but I removed it regardless (Or quarantined it). One of them however mentions that it is affecting a Nvidia file

I tried setting my power plan to high, I disabled that 'Windows Game mode' along with State power management and nothing worked. I unplugged and re-plugged the RAM, CPU and GPU and still no luck. I eventually tried to rollback Windows updates since this started occurring a few days ago around when I got a Windows update. Windows Security and such. I tried to uninstall them, I got some but the PC absolutely refuses to allow that option. It DID actually work for a bit, but then I got the Black screen again.

I tried to use advanced options to uninstall the Windows Features, or Quality update but the PC can't do it.

To make this even stranger is the fact my external hard drive where I keep most of my games in, sometimes does not pick up and restarting the PC somehow fixes it. (My Windows is in the other hard drive, its an SSD card). 

I am tempted to try and reset my PC to see if it could work, but I need advice...anyone has suggestions on what I could do or what I am missing?

How were you not able to uninstall the graphics drivers? Does windows not let you or is it something to do with the trojan that you mentioned?

Also by screen going black you mean that the GPU wont send a picture or that everything is black but something like the cursor is still there?

4 minutes ago, Orika said:

How were you not able to uninstall the graphics drivers? Does windows not let you or is it something to do with the trojan that you mentioned?

Also by screen going black you mean that the GPU wont send a picture or that everything is black but something like the cursor is still there?

I did uninstall the graphics drivers and reinstalled them. I was referring to the Windows updates themselves. By black screen, i mean i cant even get a cursor at all

10 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Assuming you could still boot and test a game, use MSI afterburner. Follow this guide. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Op4pcOBuG68

Ok, by some MIRACLE I got it to work, and WITHOUT crashing (Didn't stay for long though). 

Before I launch a game:

GPU: 300 MHz

Mem 405 MHz

Temp: 38 C

WHILE I am running a game:

GPU: 1920 Mhz

Mem: 4001 Mhz

Temp 52 C

UPDATE:

Also, When trying to restart my PC (Via windows restart option, the one at that Windows Logo bottom left screen). My PC is beeping with red light, it beeps 4 times before pausing before beeping 4 times again. It did this pattern 6 or 7 times before it stops beeping. Huge possible lead???

5 minutes ago, DizzyDwarf20 said:

Ok, by some MIRACLE I got it to work, and WITHOUT crashing (Didn't stay for long though). 

Before I launch a game:

GPU: 300 MHz

Mem 405 MHz

Temp: 38 C

WHILE I am running a game:

GPU: 1920 Mhz

Mem: 4001 Mhz

Temp 52 C

UPDATE:

Also, When trying to restart my PC (Via windows restart option, the one at that Windows Logo bottom left screen). My PC is beeping with red light, it beeps 4 times before pausing before beeping 4 times again. It did this pattern 6 or 7 times before it stops beeping. Huge possible lead???

Does it do it when it starts to boot back up?

8 minutes ago, Orika said:

Does it do it when it starts to boot back up?

The beeping only happened once (For now) and its when I restarted the PC via restart option.

In terms of how it normally boots up, it simply boots up normally (Granted it says it cant find the power fan supply. But that's normal for the PSU I'm using)

31 minutes ago, DizzyDwarf20 said:

The beeping only happened once (For now) and its when I restarted the PC via restart option.

In terms of how it normally boots up, it simply boots up normally (Granted it says it cant find the power fan supply. But that's normal for the PSU I'm using)

Depending on your BIOS manufacturer 4 beeps could mean different things. It could also be 8 beeps

8 beeps means an issue with video memory on motherboards AMIBIOS 

4 beeps could mean 2 things 

1)Problem with motherboard 

2)Some type of memory failure

9 minutes ago, Orika said:

Depending on your BIOS manufacturer 4 beeps could mean different things. It could also be 8 beeps

8 beeps means an issue with video memory on motherboards AMIBIOS 

4 beeps could mean 2 things 

1)Problem with motherboard 

2)Some type of memory failure

Thats the strange thing, It strikes me as odd with the memory thing...Although...I didn't re-plug ALL of my Ram...only 2 of the 4

Ok, I have a theory. My SSD drive is the System drive for my PC, but its storage is very full. Right now I made a 66 GB space out of 250GB. Playing a game right now, has been about 11 min, still working. Will keep posted!

• 7 months later...

To those who came by this forum, I have found my solution so I'm posting it here in case it helps you as well. 

It turns out, my GPU isn't powerful enough to handle the graphics card so I needed to a new and more powerful one. It's always something so simple that is the issue.