Windows store for watching 4K HDR content

Hi everyone

I am trying to find an alternative to watch the same files as a 4K bluray without having to buy individual discs and an expensive player. 

I dont want to illegally download bluray rips

Do you know if the files from the windows store are this good? 

For instance, Ready Player One fullHD is a 7.5GB file but there is no indication regarding the 4K file.

Do you have any experience with it?

If I buy a movie, can I put it on a plex server? How can I watch the content on a Samsung TV?

11 minutes ago, Pikop said:

Hi everyone

I am trying to find an alternative to watch the same files as a 4K bluray without having to buy individual discs and an expensive player. 

For instance, Ready Player One fullHD is a 7.5GB file but there is no indication regarding the 4K file.

If I buy a movie, can I put it on a plex server? How can I watch the content on a Samsung TV?

mods im just answering

im not encouraging piracy

hi

no

that is not Blu-ray

the only way to have Blu-ray on your pc is either to buy a Blu-ray drive and discs to play it normally or either pirate them

and the only way to have a Blu-ray on your plex media server is also pirating them

i have a collection of Blu-ray that i bought in my 21 years of life and like lines because i paid for them once

i considered that i have the right to download them and put them on my media server so i can access it anywhere

if Linus says its fine then I'm fine with it

and if you get it from windows store or anywhere else

they have DRM to protect them so you cant put it on media server or normally play them with third party software

37 minutes ago, Pikop said:

You'll have to buy the disc. Ready Player One is 2h20m long (2.3 hours). At 7.5 GB that is a bitrate of 7.5 GB * 1000 MB/GB * 8 b/B * 2.3  h * 3600 s/h = 7.2 Mbps. Meanwhile a 1080p Blu-ray can do 40 Mbps, so the Windows Store is offering nothing close to Blu-ray quality even at 1080p. Now consider that UHD Blu-rays can do around 100 Mbps, which is probably still most people's max internet download speed, and you can see that streaming Blu-ray quality is demanding in terms of bandwidth at best and practically not that feasible, which is why you don't really see it offered. That doesn't mean it's terrible. I enjoy the streaming quality from most services as much as I do Blu-rays. It's just that Blu-rays can be better due to their much higher bitrates.

37 minutes ago, Pikop said:

You'll have to rip the disc to play it outside a player. This is often a legal grey area due to a conflict between laws surrounding home copies and the copy protection present on those discs.

18 minutes ago, Alireza said:

the only way to have Blu-ray on your pc is either to buy a Blu-ray drive and discs to play it normally or either pirate them

and the only way to have a Blu-ray on your plex media server is also pirating them

You can rip your own discs. That wouldn't be piracry in the sense that you didn't obtain it from an illicit source (you bought the disc), but as I said above is probably a grey area in most countries.

18 minutes ago, Alireza said:

i have a collection of Blu-ray that i bought in my 21 years of life and like lines because i paid for them once

i considered that i have the right to download them and put them on my media server so i can access it anywhere

It'll depend on your local laws, but chances are decent that you consider wrong. Downloading still means you obtain it from an unauthorised/illicit source. My copyright law forbids this, for example, for that reason.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 minutes ago, Alireza said:

This is poor advice. If you own a physical copy of the media, you can legally rip it for personal use.

35 minutes ago, Pikop said:

Are you watching it from a actual disc or a file that has been ripped from a disc?

To consume 4K content, the content has to be originally in 4k.

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

It'll depend on your local laws, but chances are decent that you consider wrong. Downloading still means you obtain it from an unauthorised/illicit source. My copyright law forbids this, for example, for that reason.

well my country doesn't have any form of copyright law for outside media content so almost everyone used to downloading and pirate any movie or game music we want but i will never do that personally

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

This is poor advice. If you own a physical copy of the media, you can legally rip it for personal use.

i never had a successful chance to rip it myself

there is always some kid of error

but that doesn't matter now since i have exactly what i need

33 minutes ago, tikker said:

You'll have to buy the disc. Ready Player One is 2h20m long (2.3 hours). At 7.5 GB that is a bitrate of 7.5 GB * 1000 MB/GB * 8 b/B * 2.3  h * 3600 s/h = 7.2 Mbps. Meanwhile a 1080p Blu-ray can do 40 Mbps, so the Windows Store is offering nothing close to Blu-ray quality even at 1080p. Now consider that UHD Blu-rays can do around 100 Mbps, which is probably still most people's max internet download speed, and you can see that streaming Blu-ray quality is demanding in terms of bandwidth at best and practically not that feasible, which is why you don't really see it offered. That doesn't mean it's terrible. I enjoy the streaming quality from most services as much as I do Blu-rays. It's just that Blu-rays can be better due to their much higher bitrate.

So there is no alternative to buying 4K bluray to get a 4K bluray file?

Even if Im not streaming and want to download files?

Well that's sh*t...

I mean, a netflix 4K file is 2GB so the Windows Store is still probably much better

34 minutes ago, Alireza said:

well my country doesn't have any form of copyright law for outside media content so almost everyone used to downloading and pirate any movie or game music we want but i will never do that personally

i never had a successful chance to rip it myself

there is always some kid of error

but that doesn't matter now since i have exactly what i need

Interesting. Hadn't heard of a country without copyright law for foreign content before.

40 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

You are often legally allowed to make a home copy. At the same time, you can be be not allowed to break the copy protection required for that. Ergo, the legal grey mess that home copies tend to be in my experience.

5 minutes ago, Pikop said:

They might exist, but I'm not aware of services where you can digitally buy a movie at Blu-ray quality.

5 minutes ago, Pikop said:

Well that's sh*t...

I mean, a netflix 4K file is 2GB so the Windows Store is still probably much better

The codec and amount of compression used also matters. I don't know what the Microsoft Store uses, but Netflix uses HEVC to my knowledge, which allows for better compression while retainig pretty much the same quality. Depending on codecs and settings that 2 GB Netflix file thus may be not much worse or as good as Microsoft's 7.5 GB one.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

6 minutes ago, tikker said:

Depending on codecs and settings that 2 GB Netflix file thus may be not much worse or as good as Microsoft's 7.5 GB one.

7.5GB is for a 1080 file, I dont know what the 4K file size is.

If no one has tried it, I'll give it a go and give you an update later on.

3 hours ago, tikker said:

Interesting. Hadn't heard of a country without copyright law for foreign content before.

i live in IRAN

5 hours ago, Pikop said:

No because it would be too easy to pirate the movies. The movies studios put tones of restrictions and DRM's in place to prevent piracy. So really the only way to get the full featured 4K movie is to buy the blu ray and rip it yourself. 

The only alternative is a streaming service. BUT I have heard of streaming services not offering 4K on PC due to piracy concerns, even with all the DRM. Basically Hollywood goes out of its way to fuck over law abiding customers. Which is why piracy is making a comeback. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

The only alternative is a streaming service. BUT I have heard of streaming services not offering 4K on PC due to piracy concerns, even with all the DRM. Basically Hollywood goes out of its way to fuck over law abiding customers. Which is why piracy is making a comeback. 

Certainly feels that way tbh...

I have never played 4K HDR content from a laptop to my TV. Anything I should know before trying?

15 minutes ago, Pikop said:

Certainly feels that way tbh...

I have never played 4K HDR content from a laptop to my TV. Anything I should know before trying?

I personally dont have a 4K screen. Currently Im using my TV which is 720p and my highest monitor on my desk is a 1440p 21:9 panel. I have heard HDR on Windows is kinda sucky. The only other advice I can give is make sure you have shit loads of hard disk space. HQ 4K content will eat storage like its going out of style. 

8 hours ago, Alireza said:

For the love of god, please don't take legal (or other) advice from linus. 

9 hours ago, Alireza said:

Im pretty sure its not that Linus is fine with it, its that Canadian law allows it. Technically its illegal in the US due to the DMCA, because breaking copy protection is against the law. However, the FBI isnt going to kick your door in if you choose to rip movies to a server that only YOU have access to. Thats why a lot of American's see it as a legal grey area, that and the fact you only go to prison for distribution of content, not the actual consumption. 

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

no worries man

there is no copyright law for outside media content of any sort in my country

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

LinusLegalTips coming soon 😄

On 8/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, Pikop said:

Hi everyone

You basically can't do what you want.

I don't think any digitally available movies are even remotely close to the quality and bitrate of a 4K Blu-Ray.

For example, Ready Player One in 4K? If we take Netflix, for example, it tops out around or under 20 Mbps. A 4K Blu-Ray tops out at over 100 Mbps. It's just an order of magnitude larger.

Even a relatively small 4K Blu-Ray at original quality is going to be 75GB+ in filesize.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 8/18/2022 at 5:55 AM, sm1th5 said:

https://www.kaleidescape.com/

This is the closest thing you are looking for. That is without buying disks or illegal downloading 

I had forgotten these things existed! I had a look at the Movie Library, and a random 4K movie (Top Gun Maverick) was 68GB in file size. I haven't looked at how large the Top Gun Maverick 4K Blu-Ray is, but this looks pretty close to how big the disc would be. Maybe a bit smaller, especially if you factor in special features, etc.

This would honestly be the perfect solution, but the servers are HOLY SHIT expensive (the 72TB Terra server is like $22,000 USD). Now, my understanding is that the 4K Player does have some local storage on it, so you don't strictly need the server (and they make much smaller servers too - but even the cheapest one was like $12,000 USD), but the complete experience is clearly a highly luxury product with a high cost.

If I ever win the lotto - I'm getting a full Kaleidescape setup.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)