i9 12900k Extreme Gaming Build

Budget (including currency): $6000 CAD (Budget is flexible, I'm more focused on performance)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming/recording game footage (Minecraft, but probably others once I actually have a good computer), and game development (Blender, Unity)

Other details

Upgrading from 2007 Macbook, so an upgrade is definitely in order.

Monitors: 1 1440p 240hz G7, 2 1080p monitors, all preferably on DP

FPS: 120 while streaming and recording

Buy: By the end of the year.

Current part list:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Sergeant_Ranger/saved/#view=Q8kPJx

(NOTE: On part list, the 3090 Ti is just a placeholder, I will actually be buying a 40-series like the 4080 Ti)

currently adds up to $5547.68 CAD. (I may go with a cheaper second M.2 ssd, or put off buying it if need be)

Sanity check before actually starting buying the parts next week (gpu will have to wait on Nvidea's release date ig).

I went with the F series motherboard because I don't do overclocking, so the E series seemed a bit overkill.

On PcPartPicker, the Compatibility Check gives a warning that the PCIe 16-pin connector would be supplied by 3 6+2 pin connectors, but I couldn't find any power supplies with different PCIe connectors that would work better.

(And yes, I did consider custom water loops instead of AIO, but I'm not even sure where to start with a custom loop.)

Hopefully my list isn't too insane.

Nothing jumps out as explodey, so you should be good. I would get NZXT fans instead of the Corsair ones though, keep all the RGB to one utility, trying to match colors across multiple is horrid.

EDIT:

Oh, you will want to add a couple HDDs as well. Recording footage takes obnoxious amounts of storage especially at high bitrate/resolution. I'd recommend running 2 of the same HDD in RAID 1 for redundancy.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

I would get NZXT fans instead of the Corsair ones though, keep all the RGB to one utility, trying to match colors across multiple is horrid.

Ah right yeah. I didn't notice that, thanks!

If you are waiting for the new Nvidia GPU, don't buy any parts until they are actually available. Who knows what else might appear while you wait. 

The OP build has RGB parts that don't usually cooperate.

From Asus memory purchasing and installation guide

• Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Given the budget you should consider a PCIe 4.0 NVMe.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 minutes ago, brob said:

If you are waiting for the new Nvidia GPU, don't buy any parts until they are actually available. Who knows what else might appear while you wait. 

The OP build has RGB parts that don't usually cooperate.

From Asus memory purchasing and installation guide

• Please ensure all memory modules are from a single validated kit. Do not combine DIMMs from multiple kits—even if they are the same make and model. Mixing and matching DIMMs can result in failure to boot and compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Given the budget you should consider a PCIe 4.0 NVMe.

Ah, ok I'll be sure to get a 64 gb kit then instead of 2 32gb kits. I originally picked the 2 32gb kits because they were faster (6400 opposed to 6000 in 64gb kits).

And I'll update the build to be NZXT fans instead of Corsair.
I had also thought that the 970 was gen 4, but it appears I was mistaken, so I replaced it with a WD SN850 (4.0 version).

I might end up putting off the build till the 40-series comes out, but I wanted to get a head-start on the build. It wouldn't hurt to wait though.

22 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

EDIT:

Oh, you will want to add a couple HDDs as well. Recording footage takes obnoxious amounts of storage especially at high bitrate/resolution. I'd recommend running 2 of the same HDD in RAID 1 for redundancy.

Yeah I was thinking of adding another M.2 ssd for recording stuff onto, as the motherboard has 4 slots I believe, and putting in a few HDDs. I just didn't put them on the list initially.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jbV3W4

This is all you need

Anything more is diminishing returns and you only get extra benifit from overclocking only, you dont overclock you cant get more performance

if you are serious about performance then overclocking only and questionable subzero cooling since budget fits that aswell, though im pretty sure you cant use a chiller loop to chill an i9 or a 4000 card to decent temps (<30c) so those are phase only and there are builders for phase change systems around though itll cost a decent amount to get a good one power enough to cool down an i9/4000 card to near/sub ambient (~1k), subzero seems pretty much impossible unless you wanna look at even more ridicolous cooling like cascade phase change but thats just straight up impractical for daily due to power draw and cost

basically peak performance is reserved for the oc nuts and subzero maniacs so ifyou arent atleast an enthusiast you may wanna stay away from this mostly because subzero can make sht malfunction due to condensation so if you dont seal your system right water droplets form and short things, i havent killed any systems by dropping water on em (ehich has happend a couple times, even turned it on once and still worked when it dried) so not sure if the claims of killing your mobo are real or not

If you're going to wait for the new GPUs, you should also wait for the CPUs. Both Intel and AMD are releasing new CPUs, likely before Nvidia releases their new GPUs.

38 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jbV3W4

This is all you need

Anything more is diminishing returns and you only get extra benifit from overclocking only, you dont overclock you cant get more performance

if you are serious about performance then overclocking only and questionable subzero cooling since budget fits that aswell, though im pretty sure you cant use a chiller loop to chill an i9 or a 4000 card to decent temps (<30c) so those are phase only and there are builders for phase change systems around though itll cost a decent amount to get a good one power enough to cool down an i9/4000 card to near/sub ambient (~1k), subzero seems pretty much impossible unless you wanna look at even more ridicolous cooling like cascade phase change but thats just straight up impractical for daily due to power draw and cost

basically peak performance is reserved for the oc nuts and subzero maniacs so ifyou arent atleast an enthusiast you may wanna stay away from this mostly because subzero can make sht malfunction due to condensation so if you dont seal your system right water droplets form and short things, i havent killed any systems by dropping water on em (ehich has happend a couple times, even turned it on once and still worked when it dried) so not sure if the claims of killing your mobo are real or not

Interesting.
I had been considering an i7 instead of an i9.

I did think though, that a ddr5 motherboard would be more future-proofed than a ddr4 one, as ddr4 support is fading it seems.

I may go the overclocking route, but I'll have to do more research on it. In the meantime, thanks a lot for the list, as it shows some places where I definitely could cut down on unnecessary cost.

Though I definitely do agree sub-zero is not in my league.

2 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

If you're going to wait for the new GPUs, you should also wait for the CPUs. Both Intel and AMD are releasing new CPUs, likely before Nvidia releases their new GPUs.

Oh ok, thanks!

That will probably be worth it then, to wait for a 13th gen cpu.

35 minutes ago, Sergeant_Ranger said:

Interesting.
I had been considering an i7 instead of an i9.

I did think though, that a ddr5 motherboard would be more future-proofed than a ddr4 one, as ddr4 support is fading it seems.

I may go the overclocking route, but I'll have to do more research on it. In the meantime, thanks a lot for the list, as it shows some places where I definitely could cut down on unnecessary cost.

Though I definitely do agree sub-zero is not in my league.

Ddr5 is useless garbage atm so would highly not reccomend it, youll have to buy a new kit later on anyways when 7000+ becomes standard, you can oc hynix 16gbit adie but by that time theres prob some other ddr5 ic that has completely outclassed it

Just go for a value optimized normal build if you arent gonna oc, the only way i see 6000$ being wasted on a gaming pc (when ~1.8k gets you top gaming spec) would be a ton of exotic cooling, well theres also useless rgb aesthetic crap and overpriced boards which is another way to waste that much money but spending half your budget on aesthetics is retarded compared to exotic cooling, plus ppl will be alot more impressed with a chiller loop than aesthetics cause aesthetics is overdone and its become generic now