Cuda Cores vs VRAM - Workstation

CVRD

Hi,

I'm currently planning a new workstation and am having a difficult time making a decision regarding the GPU. (budget friendly):

- RTX 3060 Ti 8Gb - Cuda Cores: 4864 - 256 Bits - Clock Boost: 1695Mhz - 600€

- RTX 3060 12Gb  -  Cuda Cores: 3584 - 192 Bits - Clock boost: 1807Mhz - 500€ 

Giving that it is supposed to be a multipurpose Workstation running the Adobe Suite (Pr, Ae, Ps, Lr, Me) + Resolve + C4d, what do you think would favour performance:

More Cuda Cores with higher memory bus but less VRAM and slower Clock speeds or More VRAM, faster Clock Speed but lower memory BUS and fewer Cuda units?

All help will be appreciated!

All the best!

C

i am not that good with gpus but from what i read, cuda cores are helpful as they do multiple calculations at a time to assist the main cpu of the gpu, this helps with ray tracing and game performence. (dont take my word for it, recommend reading about them.)

i mean.. you really shouldnt be shopping by comparing individual specs of GPU's, but for the adobe suite, i'd dare to say blindly that the performance difference between those two cards isnt gonna matter, and that you're far more likely to fill that VRAM up with a big project.

so.. save yourself the $100, and go for the 3060 i suppose.

Depends on what you do. If you do big projects on C4D or use 8K footage on Resolve/Premiere, it could be beneficial to get the 3060, but as long as the project fits the 8GB VRAM, the 3060Ti is faster.

26 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Depends on what you do. If you do big projects on C4D or use 8K footage on Resolve/Premiere, it could be beneficial to get the 3060, but as long as the project fits the 8GB VRAM, the 3060Ti is faster.

Yeah, both are true - most C4d projects i do are particularly heavy - i work mostly with 4k and 6k footage but most of the times the projects are heavy loaded. To be honest i have a pretty efficient workflow (otherwise my current setup would just not take it!) but in After Effects and C4d it struggles.

I think i'll go with more VRAM and less Cudas - I'm starting to think that AE projects with hundreds of layers and precomps would benefit from more VRAM - i just don't know if i'm loosing all that much by making this compromise! 

42 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i mean.. you really shouldnt be shopping by comparing individual specs of GPU's, but for the adobe suite, i'd dare to say blindly that the performance difference between those two cards isnt gonna matter, and that you're far more likely to fill that VRAM up with a big project.

so.. save yourself the $100, and go for the 3060 i suppose.

Hi manikyath, thanks for your reply!

I tend to agree with you but i don't understand the part where you say i shouldn't be shopping by comparig individual specs, could you please clarify? Why that's not a good way to go about it?

14 hours ago, CVRD said:

I tend to agree with you but i don't understand the part where you say i shouldn't be shopping by comparig individual specs, could you please clarify? Why that's not a good way to go about it?

because the "individual" specifications dont make sense when compared. a "cuda core" of one GPU isnt directly comparable to the cuda core of another GPU. there's clock speed differences, there's architecture differences, there's memory access differences.

same thing for the VRAM.. yes you can look at the bus width, but that's like choosing a car based on how many RPM the motor can manage.. yes, it theoretically has performance implications, but it really shouldnt even impact your choice.